Upgrade from a bamboo cutting board

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Wjhunt
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:36 pm

Re: Upgrade from a bamboo cutting board

Post by Wjhunt » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:25 am

Sorry but I’m not sure my last post makes sense. What I was trying to say is running end grain across a jointer is very dangerous. Just trying to keep the diy readers from getting injured.

User avatar
lsboogy
Posts: 437
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:23 pm
Location: Minneapolis

Re: Upgrade from a bamboo cutting board

Post by lsboogy » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:35 am

I'm sure he knows what he is doing - I do a lot of things that are very dangerous at work (mostly centered around extreme voltage and current for lightning testing - a plane gets struck by lightning about once every 2000 hours, so my stuff needs to survive and keep functioning) and I would not want most people around any of what I do - I've seen others hearts stopped and many burns - gotta know what you are doing.

jobone
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:44 am

Re: Upgrade from a bamboo cutting board

Post by jobone » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:25 pm

Met this guy at the Chicago gathering, not cheap but amazing boards. The pictures don’t do them justice.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/tiwocrqucubo.html
Instagram : jobone_craftsman
Etsy : https://www.etsy.com/shop/JoBoneCraftsman

Thin Man
Posts: 134
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:51 pm

Re: Upgrade from a bamboo cutting board

Post by Thin Man » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:17 pm

jobone wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:25 pm
Met this guy at the Chicago gathering, not cheap but amazing boards. The pictures don’t do them justice.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/tiwocrqucubo.html
I’ll second that. His boards are amazing.

AlbuquerqueDan
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:51 pm

Re: Upgrade from a bamboo cutting board

Post by AlbuquerqueDan » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:32 pm

Wjhunt wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:14 pm
I made a few end grain cutting boards out of rock maple and rift sawed bubinga. The project involved a lot more labor than I anticipated. Fortunately, I had most of the equipment to build them (planer, powerful table saw, and lots of clamps). I still had to pay someone with a panel sander to sand them. Basically, you build and sand an edge grain board then cut it up and start again. Getting an end grain board for $150 is a bargain.
Amen to this. I made my own end grain walnut/maple board (16x22 inches). I love it, but it cost me about $100 in rough lumber (I bought enough for two) and it took a lot of work, and I have access to just about every cool woodworking tool available. From my experience, the financial margins on end grain boards must be slim.

User avatar
Jeff B
Posts: 10604
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:59 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Upgrade from a bamboo cutting board

Post by Jeff B » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:46 pm

Well to me all we're talking about here is spending $100-200 on something that will be used a lot and last a lifetime. Buying a nice endgrain was a no brainer to me for a lifetime of use.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.

salemj
Posts: 2780
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:27 pm
Location: Victoria, BC

Re: Upgrade from a bamboo cutting board

Post by salemj » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:53 pm

AlbuquerqueDan wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:32 pm
Wjhunt wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:14 pm
I made a few end grain cutting boards out of rock maple and rift sawed bubinga. The project involved a lot more labor than I anticipated. Fortunately, I had most of the equipment to build them (planer, powerful table saw, and lots of clamps). I still had to pay someone with a panel sander to sand them. Basically, you build and sand an edge grain board then cut it up and start again. Getting an end grain board for $150 is a bargain.
Amen to this. I made my own end grain walnut/maple board (16x22 inches). I love it, but it cost me about $100 in rough lumber (I bought enough for two) and it took a lot of work, and I have access to just about every cool woodworking tool available. From my experience, the financial margins on end grain boards must be slim.
Seriously. Always nice to be reminded that Japanese blacksmiths are not the only craftspeople we need to celebrate and appreciate.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.

MisoSatisfried
Posts: 662
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:38 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: Upgrade from a bamboo cutting board

Post by MisoSatisfried » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:25 pm

Thin Man wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:17 pm
jobone wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:25 pm
Met this guy at the Chicago gathering, not cheap but amazing boards. The pictures don’t do them justice.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/tiwocrqucubo.html
I’ll second that. His boards are amazing.
Third this... I have 4 of his boards and they're all a great price for what they are. I have everything from a small simple board of his to a couple elaborate large boards. Follow him on Instagram and you can probably catch a coupon or small sale or raffle.
I'm Dave. I don't take myself too seriously and you probably shouldn't either.

Rusky
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:09 pm

Re: Upgrade from a bamboo cutting board

Post by Rusky » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:05 pm

I ended up buying from here
http://jonescuttingboards.com/store/p7/ ... 32000.html

Really excited to get the board

Runner_up
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:00 pm

Re: Upgrade from a bamboo cutting board

Post by Runner_up » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:21 pm

Rusky wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:05 pm
I ended up buying from here
http://jonescuttingboards.com/store/p7/ ... 32000.html

Really excited to get the board
Congratulations! :D They make my walnut board, and do excellent work. You will love yours for a very long time. Keep it oiled!

Rusky
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:09 pm

Re: Upgrade from a bamboo cutting board

Post by Rusky » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:20 pm

Runner_up wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:21 pm
Rusky wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:05 pm
I ended up buying from here
http://jonescuttingboards.com/store/p7/ ... 32000.html

Really excited to get the board
Congratulations! :D They make my walnut board, and do excellent work. You will love yours for a very long time. Keep it oiled!
I just read up on the care instructions...so much oil... haha

MisoSatisfried
Posts: 662
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:38 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: Upgrade from a bamboo cutting board

Post by MisoSatisfried » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:38 pm

Rusky wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:20 pm
I just read up on the care instructions...so much oil... haha
Especially right out of the gate when it is brand new. Maintenance is quicker and easier once it is in regular use and care. Congrats man!
I'm Dave. I don't take myself too seriously and you probably shouldn't either.

User avatar
Jeff B
Posts: 10604
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:59 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Upgrade from a bamboo cutting board

Post by Jeff B » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:54 pm

Rusky wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:05 pm
I ended up buying from here
http://jonescuttingboards.com/store/p7/ ... 32000.html

Really excited to get the board
Nice purchase, you won't regret it. That will last a lifetime.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.

Rusky
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:09 pm

Re: Upgrade from a bamboo cutting board

Post by Rusky » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:58 pm

Had the board for a few days now. Looks and feels amazing, definitely happy with my purchase.

It's incredibly oil thirsty though, I'll splash the surface with oil and it'll immediately get totally absorbed...is there such a thing as over oiling it?

jacko9
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:51 pm
Location: SF Bay Area, Ca

Re: Upgrade from a bamboo cutting board

Post by jacko9 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:01 pm

Rusky wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:58 pm
Had the board for a few days now. Looks and feels amazing, definitely happy with my purchase.

It's incredibly oil thirsty though, I'll splash the surface with oil and it'll immediately get totally absorbed...is there such a thing as over oiling it?
No you can't overall the board unless it pools on top and drys to a shiny film (not absorbed in).

Runner_up
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:00 pm

Re: Upgrade from a bamboo cutting board

Post by Runner_up » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:53 am

Rusky wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:58 pm
Had the board for a few days now. Looks and feels amazing, definitely happy with my purchase.

It's incredibly oil thirsty though, I'll splash the surface with oil and it'll immediately get totally absorbed...is there such a thing as over oiling it?
Oil it until it wont absorb anymore. Very common for a new cutting board to soak up crazy amounts. After that it is super easy to maintain, just a touch of oil twice a year or so.

Rusky
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:09 pm

Re: Upgrade from a bamboo cutting board

Post by Rusky » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:28 am

Maybe I should set the mood. Light some candles, pour a glass of wine, put on some smooth jazz, draw it a nice oil bath and let it soak.

Wjhunt
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:36 pm

Re: Upgrade from a bamboo cutting board

Post by Wjhunt » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:44 pm

Butchering an old saying. Oil once a day for a week. Then, once a week for a month. Then, once a month for a year. Then, once a year for the rest of your life.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests