Search Layout Poll. You decide!

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.

Which Layout?

Poll ended at Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:27 am

Vertical Layout
83%
Horizontal Layout
17%

Total votes: 23

ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Search Layout Poll. You decide!

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Hi Guys,

I want your opinion on this. Which way do you prefer the search? I'm thinking vertical but you guys are going to be using it so please vote.

Vertical Layout (filters on the left): http://search-nodejs.yswhosting.com/sto ... sults.html

Horizontal Layout (filters on top): http://search-nodejs.yswhosting.com/sto ... sults.html
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
HectorFuego

Re: Search Layout Poll. You decide!

Post by HectorFuego »

Vertical.

Hector
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

I prefer the Vertical option and I think this will be a very valuable addition to the store site.
Thin Man

Post by Thin Man »

Vertical
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I'm in the Vertical camp.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
salemj

Post by salemj »

Well, on a computer, vertical is the clear winner. On a phone or tablet, I have no idea.

One thing I've noticed a lot recently in doing some web interface design for my work is how much "mobile" platforms differ in this respect. Depending on how the "vertical" menu or horizontal one are re-stacked in the more narrow mobile format, one could be far superior to the other. For example, it is possible that the "vertical" format would shove all the menu options below the images, which would just be entirely useless.

It is definitely worth testing this aspect of the screen formatting before you do anything.
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

+1 for Vertical
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
LostHighway

Post by LostHighway »

Doubtless unnecessary at this point but add my vote to the vertical column.
OgerBash

Post by OgerBash »

Man I'm the only one that voted horizontal. For what it's worth the horizontal worked better on my Samsung phone.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

OgerBash wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:16 pm Man I'm the only one that voted horizontal. For what it's worth the horizontal worked better on my Samsung phone.
O man, I just tried on my smartphone too. Waaayyyyyy better with horizontal. Is there any way to have a "mobile version" with filters horizontal and a "desktop version" with vertical filters?
LostHighway

Post by LostHighway »

salemj wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:03 pm Well, on a computer, vertical is the clear winner. On a phone or tablet, I have no idea.

One thing I've noticed a lot recently in doing some web interface design for my work is how much "mobile" platforms differ in this respect. Depending on how the "vertical" menu or horizontal one are re-stacked in the more narrow mobile format, one could be far superior to the other. For example, it is possible that the "vertical" format would shove all the menu options below the images, which would just be entirely useless.

It is definitely worth testing this aspect of the screen formatting before you do anything.
I think Joe correctly called this in his comment. On a desktop using Firefox 63.0.1 vertical is the winner. I also tried it on an iPad using Safari and again I preferred vertical but it looks like the people using phones may have a different experience.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Clearly vertical on a computer or pad. But on a phone it is not so successful.
pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

I’m just happy that we will have the ability to filter...so my vote is for vertizontal
--- Steve
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I never use my phone to shop. I like to be able to see more than a 2" x 4" picture of what I'm buying.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
salemj

Post by salemj »

Jeff B wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:27 pm I never use my phone to shop. I like to be able to see more than a 2" x 4" picture of what I'm buying.
Me neither. But you know from reading the forum that about 100% of chefs read the forum, browse the site, and occasionally make purchases on their phones, often while at work. So I think it is a very important business consideration. It is often hard to know/test, however, until the option is actually implemented on the site. The difference can be huge, though.
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

salemj wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:43 pm
Jeff B wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:27 pm I never use my phone to shop. I like to be able to see more than a 2" x 4" picture of what I'm buying.
Me neither. But you know from reading the forum that about 100% of chefs read the forum, browse the site, and occasionally make purchases on their phones, often while at work. So I think it is a very important business consideration. It is often hard to know/test, however, until the option is actually implemented on the site. The difference can be huge, though.
I will browse the forum now and then and maybe even browse the site on my phone if I'm away from home, but making a purchase from the phone....not.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Desktop is definitely better with vertical.
I haven't checked the mobile version
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Gogogo545

Post by Gogogo545 »

I like the search function to the left, vertical
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

I do all my buying and forum stuff on my phone. Sounds like this is a small minority of users/shoppers though. I don't know how websites work, but is there a way to track mobile vs desktop traffic?
Bmoze

Post by Bmoze »

I’m using an iPad a lot these days, so I prefer vertical, but horizontal is ok too.