Tou reviews, has anyone used one before?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
appleward91

Tou reviews, has anyone used one before?

Post by appleward91 »

So im on Hitohira browsing and I see these "tou" knives. Hard to find any reviews anywhere on them. Was wondering if anyone has used these knives before and has any thoughts on them from hands use? They seem to have slightly different (not unusual) profiles but I like the 180mm shape they have to them. If anyone has used them before be good to hear from some personal use on them.

Thanks.

For reference : https://hitohira-japan.com/collections/ ... 11-3-fa180
inzite

Re: Tou reviews, has anyone used one before?

Post by inzite »

can't open the link at work but from the ones i saw on tsubaya, they looked meaty behind the edge.
harrisonh1

Post by harrisonh1 »

They are a communist Chinese brand, I think subcontracted from Shi Bah Zi.
Not bad priced, but there is NO comparison to a Japanese knife.
I'd recommend a Yahiko, Tojiro DP or Yaxell Mon at around the same price over the Tuo.

Buying a knife just on how many layers it has is a false economy. Just because it has x numbers of layers just like another has x number of layers does NOT mean they are in any way comparable in price.
In a handmade knife,multiple layers may be a sign of more care and craftsmanship, but with tuo or zeelite or dalstrong, there is NO workmanship, no pride of art. The employees are untrained cannon fodder that will be replaced as they die from exhaustion. Fortunately almost everything is completely automated. When they say "hand sharpened" it's NOT like when a trained Japanese artisan uses skill and experience on a wheel and then stones. With those chinese knives they stick it into a slot (by hand) where prealigned guides grind away.

And a damascus blade is ZERO guarantee of quality. Chinese companies like that just use premade blanks. On a handmade knife, it is a sign of more effort.
Or when a production quality knife is made by a company with a sterling reputation like miyabi, mcuesta, yaxell, s.takeyuki, masakage, tojiro, etc, it is a nice cosmetic feature, but that's all it is, is cosmetics. It is not a functionally better knife after 3 layers, there is no real physical advantage. But because they are more expensive, the company will usually give comparably more fit and finish attention.

Is the Tuo a bad knife? NO.
But the other knives I mentioned will probably serve you better (and many for LESS money) or a Kohetsu for about the same price
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

harrisonh1 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:33 pm They are a communist Chinese brand, I think subcontracted from Shi Bah Zi.
Not bad priced, but there is NO comparison to a Japanese knife.
I'd recommend a Yahiko, Tojiro DP or Yaxell Mon at around the same price over the Tuo.

Buying a knife just on how many layers it has is a false economy. Just because it has x numbers of layers just like another has x number of layers does NOT mean they are in any way comparable in price.
In a handmade knife,multiple layers may be a sign of more care and craftsmanship, but with tuo or zeelite or dalstrong, there is NO workmanship, no pride of art. The employees are untrained cannon fodder that will be replaced as they die from exhaustion. Fortunately almost everything is completely automated. When they say "hand sharpened" it's NOT like when a trained Japanese artisan uses skill and experience on a wheel and then stones. With those chinese knives they stick it into a slot (by hand) where prealigned guides grind away.

And a damascus blade is ZERO guarantee of quality. Chinese companies like that just use premade blanks. On a handmade knife, it is a sign of more effort.
Or when a production quality knife is made by a company with a sterling reputation like miyabi, mcuesta, yaxell, s.takeyuki, masakage, tojiro, etc, it is a nice cosmetic feature, but that's all it is, is cosmetics. It is not a functionally better knife after 3 layers, there is no real physical advantage. But because they are more expensive, the company will usually give comparably more fit and finish attention.

Is the Tuo a bad knife? NO.
But the other knives I mentioned will probably serve you better (and many for LESS money) or a Kohetsu for about the same price
The Tou Knives are made with Blue #2 and made in Sanjo. If you opened the link you would have seen that they are completely different from the knives that sell on amazon.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Yeah, the op is talking about something totally different. I've been wondering about these also.
salemj

Post by salemj »

These can also be found on Tosho's site (predictably, since Hitohira is one of their primary suppliers). I remember they were very excited when they started carrying them. I've always found Tosho to be very discriminating about what they choose to sell and why; I can only imagine these knives are very appealing to certain people for a number of reasons, but I have no idea how they feel or perform.

Maybe Mark will chime in. Perhaps he's come across them. It does seem like they are specifically branded for Tosho, but that doesn't mean that Mark doesn't know the smith...and perhaps he even sells something by the maker but under a different name.
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.