What knife does your SO end up using?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
jacko9

Re: What knife does your SO end up using?

Post by jacko9 »

My wife has a new favorite purchased recently, it's a Mazaki Kasumi 90mm Petty with Ginsanko clad with stainless steel. She is ignoring a few of her other favorites since she got her hands on this little beauty.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

jacko9 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:03 pm My wife has a new favorite purchased recently, it's a Mazaki Kasumi 90mm Petty with Ginsanko clad with stainless steel. She is ignoring a few of her other favorites since she got her hands on this little beauty.
Bring on the pics :)
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

Altadan wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:40 pm
jacko9 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:03 pm My wife has a new favorite purchased recently, it's a Mazaki Kasumi 90mm Petty with Ginsanko clad with stainless steel. She is ignoring a few of her other favorites since she got her hands on this little beauty.
Bring on the pics :)
Ahh - as soon as I can figure out how to do that again. I used to download from photo bucket. I did also buy the Mazaki Kasumi 180 Gyuto when I got the Petty and that is one sweet knife.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Other than a steak knife my wife doesn't use anything other than a very
DULL Victorinox paring knife. You should see her try to slice an onion...
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Jeff B wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:01 am Other than a steak knife my wife doesn't use anything other than a very
That sounds so dangerous.
I can imagine you know when she's doing it merely by the TAK TAK sound it makes... haha

Sometimes (when my lady does get to chop things) I like to come up behind her, and actually breath down her neck. I think she's slowly warming up to the idea of using her knuckles as guide. She did that once, briefly, before she threw me out of the kitchen...
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Altadan wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:06 am
Jeff B wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:01 am Other than a steak knife my wife doesn't use anything other than a very
That sounds so dangerous.
I can imagine you know when she's doing it merely by the TAK TAK sound it makes... haha

Sometimes (when my lady does get to chop things) I like to come up behind her, and actually breath down her neck. I think she's slowly warming up to the idea of using her knuckles as guide. She did that once, briefly, before she threw me out of the kitchen...
I was sharpening some knives one night and grabbed her paring knives and sharpened them up. Man did I ever get my ass ripped over that one! We made a packed that day, she doesn't touch my knives and I don't touch hers...
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

Interesting Jeff - now that my wife has used 'sharp" knives she'll let me know when hers are just starting to lose their edge. Not that I mind since her enjoying new knives takes the heat off me when I buy some new ones myself ;-)
Carlo

Post by Carlo »

My wife primarily uses a 10” Wüsthof she bought after taking a knife skills course for fun, and that is in part what led me me to my interest in knives, because I didn’t love it and started looking for something that fit me better.

She also uses her Wüsthof 4” parer and a MAC chef series 150mm petty. I have been encouraging her to try the new carbon and wa-handled knives I’ve been picking up but I think she’s worried I’ll fuss over how she cares for them, though overall she’s careful and we don’t have knives in the sink, etc.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

My wife uses a wustof Suji, a Tojiro Santuko and generic stainless Nakiri that ran 31 bucks off eBay. She likes my knives but says it’s not using them cause if she forgets to clean them or wipe them off it’s not worth being out in time out. I sharpen hers whenever they need it though. She’s gotten use to having sharp knives and pouts when they dull. I think she knows I like sharpening and gets a kick out of my happy face when I touch her knives up.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
JustinP

Post by JustinP »

My wife uses the steak knife, to eat whatever I cooked usually :D. If she actually needs to cut something, usually the old Forschners. She's scared of the Japanese knives.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

It has changed a lot over the years and normally whatever stainless beater I am testing at the moment but recently it has been a Miyabi Koh 200mm Gyuto. That or a Suisin Western Inox 90mm petty.
DarkStar

Post by DarkStar »

Jeff B wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:25 pm ... it was ravaged for serving with a serrated steak knife.
My wife only uses 3 knives
  • Serrated Steak knife =Paring knife
    Serrated utility/tomato knife=Petty
    Serrated Bread knife = Chef knife.

It drives me crazy. There is a small fortune in cutlery within hands reach.