All hail the mighty Anryu.

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Jeff B

Re: All hail the mighty Anryu.

Post by Jeff B »

Gregory27 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:41 am ...It made me want to be a better man. Like Helen Hunt, but sharper.
Now that made me laugh. :lol:
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Gregory27

Post by Gregory27 »

Jeff B wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:31 pm
Gregory27 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:41 am ...It made me want to be a better man. Like Helen Hunt, but sharper.
This made me laugh too. Because I forgot that I said it.

Alcohol. The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Gregory27 wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:11 am
Jeff B wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:31 pm
This made me laugh too. Because I forgot that I said it.

Alcohol. The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.
This was a great one. It made me feel like Homer Simpson, "Mmm... Helen Hunt."
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

jobone wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:26 pm My Anryu B2 was my first love 💕 Making a quick slaw for dinner

I don’t usually like greens and blues in handles, but this one is pretty cool. I really like that
jobone

Post by jobone »

Bluenoser87 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:54 pm

I don’t usually like greens and blues in handles, but this one is pretty cool. I really like that
Thank you very much.

My natural tendencies lean toward a more subtle look, but I really liked how this one turned out.
PaulME

Post by PaulME »

Picked up a used one that I really like but have not needed to sharpen, maybe I need to get out stones anyway.
Paul
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

He's a good percussionist too. At the time I shot this I had never seen a guy hammer out 3 blades at a time. It's a big time saver.

Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
gladius

Post by gladius »

I just recently picked up the Anryu AS Gyuto 240mm and am really liking it. I much prefer it to the Blue #2 Hammered: thinner grind, better performance with better steel. It too goes through hard root vegetables with ease and good food release - mighty indeed.
Mike9

Post by Mike9 »

Root vegetables get treated to my Hiromoto AS 270. It's a real workhorse and holds that edge surprisingly well after hours of the tough stuff.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

And nearly 2 years later I continue to amazed by how well Anryu knives perform on thick root vegetables.

I needed to chop 5 lbs ( a lot for me ) of thick gnarly yams for a curry yesterday. For giggles I tried out my new Yoshikazu. It was ok at first but immediately I went back to my Anryu. When it didn't sail through with a guillotine all I needed to do was adjust back and emphasize the heel.

Amazing knives. Both the hammered blue and the kurouchi white. Need to try out the AS one of these days...

All hail!
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Robstreperous wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:43 am And nearly 2 years later I continue to amazed by how well Anryu knives perform on thick root vegetables.

I needed to chop 5 lbs ( a lot for me ) of thick gnarly yams for a curry yesterday. For giggles I tried out my new Yoshikazu. It was ok at first but immediately I went back to my Anryu. When it didn't sail through with a guillotine all I needed to do was adjust back and emphasize the heel.

Amazing knives. Both the hammered blue and the kurouchi white. Need to try out the AS one of these days...

All hail!
These sentiments have been echoed by several voices here over the years, and Ive kept that in mind. My early purchases always took me elsewhere, for various reasons, and now that I want a gyuto of his, they cannot be had 😅 just last week I saw the "availability" notification... And hour too late. Ha! Nothing left but shorter blades...
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
DB_96

Post by DB_96 »

Robstreperous wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:43 am And nearly 2 years later I continue to amazed by how well Anryu knives perform on thick root vegetables.

All hail!
Can definitely attest to his AS, i have a 210 and its one of my favorites!
silylanjie

Post by silylanjie »

Too bad Anryu-san retired, I do prefer his tsuchime (hammered) finish over Ikeda-san tsuchime. Anryu's tsuchime is much cleaner with nicer pattern and Ikeda's tsuchime is more compact with more overlaps.

Just my personal preference.
Wilson - Just an retired sushi chef
Miles

Post by Miles »

silylanjie wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:33 am Too bad Anryu-san retired, I do prefer his tsuchime (hammered) finish over Ikeda-san tsuchime. Anryu's tsuchime is much cleaner with nicer pattern and Ikeda's tsuchime is more compact with more overlaps.

I remember someone making a comment about the pattern changing a bit. Care to post a comparison foto?
silylanjie

Post by silylanjie »

Miles wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:49 am
silylanjie wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:33 am Too bad Anryu-san retired, I do prefer his tsuchime (hammered) finish over Ikeda-san tsuchime. Anryu's tsuchime is much cleaner with nicer pattern and Ikeda's tsuchime is more compact with more overlaps.

I remember someone making a comment about the pattern changing a bit. Care to post a comparison foto?
Here's photos of the gyuto in B2

Anryu
Anryu
Anryu
Ikeda
Ikeda
Ikeda
taz575

Post by taz575 »

Can you guys post some choil shots of your Anryu's? With being on Keto, I do a lot of root veggies and will be making myself a new blade for this. I do a lot of rutabaga, turnips and celery root. My Richmond AS Laser and Tanaka Sekiso gyutos do pretty well, but feel short sometimes length and height wise. I want to make myself a taller 270 for heavier use. I have some 3/32" thick 52100 and some 1/8" thick CPM Cruwear I am debating between using!

Ikeda's hammer dimples look much less deep, too and do overlap. I prefer the Anryu look myself as well, looks cleaner and like it would have more effect food release wise.
silylanjie

Post by silylanjie »

Anryu Gyuto 210 B2 choil
anryu-choil.jpg
taz575

Post by taz575 »

Great pic! It looks like it has nice convexing and the hollow on the top half of the knife. Gotta figure out a radius platen one of these days to do these hollows!
taz575

Post by taz575 »

I want to try this one out on some sweet potatoes and root veg:
opal funy.jpg
opal funy.jpg (31.72 KiB) Viewed 672 times
I am kinda scared to try this one out on harder foods! It has a lot of bend/flex to it.
Funy1 choil.jpg
Funy1 choil.jpg (15.44 KiB) Viewed 672 times
FisherMAn1298

Post by FisherMAn1298 »

Those Anryu dimples are so much better done than the Takeda. Too bad he doesn't do any handwork these days. He still goes to work and does somethings last I read, fires up furnace, etc. True Master. The first thing I asked Mark when i got here was give me suggestions on the best 5 blacksmiths, Anryu was first, Tanaka, Ikeda, Kurosaki, Moritaka. Never can get to the order button with an Anryu still available. That's a THIN blade there Taz!
In the immortal words of Ken Schwartz-"Master The 1K."