Second project knife

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Second project knife

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

I'm thinking of resurrecting the Richmond Addict profile. I love that tall bullet shape that I did years ago. It was very close to the Watanabe Blue 2 Gyuto that we used to sell. I still get emails about them. They just need proper grinding and I know some people that can solve that. ;)

Here is what I'm discussing. Tell me what you think. No decisions have been made yet so I'll take what you guys suggest into consideration before I pull the trigger.

Steel: HD2 is the first choice. Swedish Stainless (AEB-L) would be the second choice.

Handle: CKTG Bog Oak handles

Retail Price: Guess $295 including the handle. That might be ambitious. Don't hold me to it.

Quantity: 100 for the first order.

Engraving: Hand Engraved Kanji.

Brand: My first choice would be Konosuke Special Edition.

Kind Regards,

Mark Richmond
Chefknivestogo.com
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
nakneker

Re: Second project knife

Post by nakneker »

I’ve heard so much about the old Addicts I would be up for one if this happens. Hope it does!
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

I like the idea of that profile with HD2 steel over the AEB-L. But I am eyeing up a new Yo handles atm. :(
ButlerHoosierChef

Post by ButlerHoosierChef »

I am so excited. I read about the addict on a website and that is what got me started down this rabbit hole. I like the idea of the addict in HD2 and Hap40 if it was cost effective. I further think if the addict went over well with everyone a carbon steel like in Blue 1 AS or white 1 for special editions limited run 5 a piece etc would be pretty awesome as well. Create hype for it like the Fujiyama. I know though I would be game for any addict style knife. Just spitballing. Thank you though for providing us with such awesome knives and the Addict name is quite fitting since we are all a bunch of knife nuts that are Addicts. Haha.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Sounds like a great idea just the way you laid it out. Either steel works for me, what about 50 of each?
The Price may be a "little" ambitious but it's not too outrageous either.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

Sounds interesting to me.
RonAZ

Post by RonAZ »

Great project, I have one of the old Addicts and like it a lot, especially after thinning. With the new version improving the grind I'll bet on it being a hit. While I like both steels, my vote is for the HD2.
Ron
gladius

Post by gladius »

An Addict 2 using PM steel like the original SLD would be a winner. HAP40 would be my first choice and be a chef's favorite. A more affordable handle but still a nice one would work better for the target audience.

That video is still the bomb!

Last edited by gladius on Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

I got my addict through the classifieds late last year (Addict 2 in CPM154). Absolutely love it for big veg as its tall. If you build the same height and profile, I'll jump. May have to take some heat from the SO, but I could always give a knife to my cousin to make up for it - he loves my Addict (his hands are massive, so knuckle clearance is a big thing to him. If the new model is like the old profile and grind, but in HD2, count me in
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

I’ve always wanted an addict! With engraved kanji....oh Lordy!!! Personally I don’t mind basic handles though.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

gladius wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:51 pm ...That video is still the bomb!
Charlemagne made some badass videos, dude has some mad skills!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Igalor

Post by Igalor »

I love hd2 steel, its great stuff, i loved how it sharpened and how it felt on the board and tge stones, but i found it lacking retention for a pro setting, although it does come back in a breeze. Something with better edge retention, or maybe just take the hd2 a little higher would be awesome. Id be down for one.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

I've tried almost everything, it seems, except American custom (coming). Not much new interests me these days, but this one certainy would.

I've been planning to get a Watanabe 240. This one might better suit my preferred profile. I've been hoping for a tall blade that can rock and chop, but one that is less beefy than the Gihei and weighs a lot less than the Matsubaras.

HD2 steel or B#2 is what I'd prefer, though Konosuke's Swedish steel is great - much like ginsan.
Jeffry B
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

jbart65 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:22 am ...a tall blade that can rock and chop, but one that is less beefy than the Gihei and weighs a lot less than the Matsubaras...
Exactly what the Addict was. A tall blade(54mm+) and thin(2.3mm?) at the heel and light around 6oz. If my memory serves me... :?
Built to rock and chop well.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Just outta curiosity, Mark, what will you have the kanji say?
Does your name mean "rich mound/hill/mountain"?
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

jbart65 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:22 am I've tried almost everything, it seems, except American custom (coming). Not much new interests me these days, but this one certainy would.

This!

(I intentionally shortened the quote just for you. :mrgreen: And I've had a few to drink... :lol: )
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Altadan wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:01 pm Just outta curiosity, Mark, what will you have the kanji say?
Does your name mean "rich mound/hill/mountain"?
The kanji needs to just say "Rich Man". :P
OgerBash

Post by OgerBash »

I would take one. It would be cool if you could get konosuke to make it out of hap 40. I actually prefer the swedish stainless over the hd2, slightly, for edge retention and sharpening.
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

Any updates on this plan?
Quantim0

Post by Quantim0 »

I’d definitely seriously consider one.