Western Slicer

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
thegingerninja.abq

Western Slicer

Post by thegingerninja.abq »

Hello everyone! First sub-forum post here for the new CKTG Forums! Woot!

So, I got email the other day from Tim Johnson (timos) titled saya question. Ok, I thought, cool, were gonna talk shop. Well, sort of. Tim was checking in if I could take on a saya project for one of his clients, who basically needed a dark saya to match the lovey handle on Tim's knife. Yeah, sounds fun, right up my alley. Also, can you do it in a week? And the budget is slim. Oh, it needs to get shipped to Singapore. :shock:

With the current workload and personal deadlines, I could have folded easily at Tim's request for a saya. But, I know it would have taken me a lot courage to farm out a project with such strict circumstances, and I felt humbled, and really wanted to shine and make Tim and his client proud. I took on the saya and slipped it between a couple of orders and got it banged out in rather quick. Yes!

I am happy to say that this is an official collaboration with a custom knife maker, and I am honored it's one of our own!! Tim, thank you so much for the opportunity!

Cheers!

btw, I'm smitten for one of Tim's knives. I did not realize just how much I needed a custom made western style slicer until I saw this knife! I was a beautifully crafted blade, and after seeing it in person, I highly recommend his knives!!!

Joshigon

Re: Western Slicer

Post by Joshigon »

Wow! :shock: that looks awesome! It looks so modern. What kind of wood did you use?
Josh Cooper
thegingerninja.abq

Thanks Josh! Bolivian Rosewood for the saya my friend 😄
timos

Post by timos »

you sir, are a gentleman and a scholar!!
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
Web: http://www.timothyjohnsonknives.com
Email: tim@blackstoneknife.com
Instagram: @timostheos
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Good looking set. Did you just buff and wax for the finish? I always struggled with finishes for rose wood/ cocobolo types, but your finish looks great.
thegingerninja.abq

Thanks Tim 😆

Yeah Matt, basically that's it. I use oil too.
dantee

Post by dantee »

Hiya guys! I had to change my username coz my old one was too short so I'm now dantee. (Used to be mrdt on the old forums.)

Heh and not trying to get any attention, but am the lucky lucky soon to be owner of the above sleek slicer. :)

What started as an interest in one of timo's 1095 long petty / carving knife shapes, turned out into a project that ended up with the knife above looking like a really sleek modern slicer. And am very excited to get it into my hands and playing with it!:)

A big big big thank you to Cody, for the saya under such tight timelines (I actually wasn't in that much of a hurry but thanks for getting it done so quick for Tim!) and for making it look so nice and awesome! Rosewood is really a cool wood to use for the saya, Thanks so much! Am really blessed and privileged to be the lucky owner of such a collaboration between u two for the knife and saya!

And I am looking forward to seeing more awesome collaborations between Tim and yourself to produce more awesome custom works of functional art :)
thegingerninja.abq

dantee wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:11 am Hiya guys! I had to change my username coz my old one was too short so I'm now dantee. (Used to be mrdt on the old forums.)

Heh and not trying to get any attention, but am the lucky lucky soon to be owner of the above sleek slicer. :)

What started as an interest in one of timo's 1095 long petty / carving knife shapes, turned out into a project that ended up with the knife above looking like a really sleek modern slicer. And am very excited to get it into my hands and playing with it!:)

A big big big thank you to Cody, for the saya under such tight timelines (I actually wasn't in that much of a hurry but thanks for getting it done so quick for Tim!) and for making it look so nice and awesome! Rosewood is really a cool wood to use for the saya, Thanks so much! Am really blessed and privileged to be the lucky owner of such a collaboration between u two for the knife and saya!

And I am looking forward to seeing more awesome collaborations between Tim and yourself to produce more awesome custom works of functional art :)

And the recipient is forum member!!! :o. This just gets better and better!! Well dantee, it is great to meet you! Thank you for sharing and telling us a little more about this knife. The knife is great and I'm sure you'll love it. I hope you love saya too!
dantee

Post by dantee »

Thanks so very much for that Cody! Yes indeed, the very lucky recipient is a fellow forum member and a budding knife enthusiast!
Thank you very very much for the kind and wonderful work on the Saya, and likewise a great privilege and pleasure to meet you here! =)

Am sure I'll love the knife and saya! Look forward to future collaborations again perhaps!