Storage | Curly Ash | Cascading Blades - Fishordie

Maker of Custom, Hand Crafted Knife Blocks & Creative Storage, Wa Handles, and Cutting Boards.

Moderator: GopherBroke

GopherBroke

Storage | Curly Ash | Cascading Blades - Fishordie

Post by GopherBroke » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:03 pm

Re-posted from old forum:

Hello again!

I was contacted by Fishordie, aka Jamie, about doing a cascading blades block for him.
Jamie had some ideas in his head before contacting me, and through numerous emails and several phone calls we thoroughly investigated our options.
I even sent him pictures from the lumber yard to get his approval before buying the wood.
We eventually ended up with Curly Ash and American Walnut.

Jamie had said that he wanted golden tone, and the Ash offered great golden highlights.
We tinkers with a few different color stains, and some sanding sealers, and finally decided upon the combination below.

Jamie pushed me a little on this one, and I'm glad he did!
He wanted me to wrap the ends of the tiers in walnut... like the rest of the trim; picture frame it.
I had thought about this in the past, but the process I had stuck in my mind was using compound angles to miter all the corners. That isn't how it ended up being done, and the way I did it was fairly simple. Thanks Jamie for the idea/desire.

The base and all tiers are cut from 15/16" Curly Ash.
The trim is all done in American Walnut.
All wood was stained with a Maple colors stain from Cabot. It gave the Ash the golden color Jamie was looking for, and it made the grain in the Walnut pop a little more.

The block is 21-1/2 inches wide by 15-3/8" of an inch tall.
It weighs a staggering 22 pounds 4.6 ounces, empty. So there is zero fear of it moving while removing knives ;)

Enough of the yada yada and blah blah... on with the show!

I've already spoken to Jamie, and he is very pleased with the block.. which is a relief to me!
I'm always most nervous when the package is enroute: 1) damage. 2) Will the customer be happy?

Thanks for lookin'
:mrgreen:

Chefspence

Re: Storage | Curly Ash | Cascading Blades - Fishordie

Post by Chefspence » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:51 pm

Wow!!! That looks great

Fishordie

Post by Fishordie » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:13 pm

Without question this is the nicest knife rack I have ever seen..It is amazingly efficient and easy to use. The placements of the magnets allow for holding even my largest cleaver yet makes life easy to give a simple twist, so the knife is on its spine, for removal. Perfectly balanced. Brian was an absolute pleasure to work with.. As Brian noted, my knives are big yet there is no movement of the display when I remove any or all of the knives. The photos do not do this product justice.. I am so tickled with this that I am ordering another knife rack from him for my daily use knives.. Brian is going to match the design for me so I can book end my kitchen counter top.. FANTASTIC.

Note: Even though I need to have Brian ship across the country his work is very well worth the effort and cost of shipping.

Jamie

ckreef

Post by ckreef » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:33 pm

It is a beauty. Matching book ends will be kewl.