Rust already?

Proper user technique and care is essential to enjoying these high performance knives to their fullest while keeping edge damage to a minimum. Learn how here.
Chefboyrbelom

Rust already?

Post by Chefboyrbelom » Fri May 03, 2019 9:50 am

Hey there everyone. First time poster, first time Japanese knife owner.

I received my Anryu Hammered 240mm Gyuto a few weeks ago and have been absolutely loving it ever since. Before I bought the knife I did what I thought was adequate research on knife care and maintenance specifically to maintain sharpness and avoid rust.

The last few times I used the knife I noticed some darkening near where the carbon edge is exposed. I thought (hoped) that it was just patina developing, but I held it in the light today and it looks to me like the onset of rust. I live in GA and it's humid here, but I thought my routine of drying the knife thoroughly, applying a couple drops of tsubaki oil with a microfiber cloth, and storing in the saya would help prevent this for at least a while.

I see others mentioning VCI paper. My knife came wrapped in that and I still have what came in the box, so maybe I'll start wrapping it in that as well.

Here's a picture of the suspected rust. I have a small rust eraser that I've never used, should I give that a go?
IMG_20190503_102544.jpg

Drewski

Re: Rust already?

Post by Drewski » Fri May 03, 2019 12:05 pm

I've never had to deal with rust before, but I've read that if you take a damp paper towel and rub it over the suspected rust, you will get some orange on your paper towel. To me that looks like patina on your knife.

gladius

Post by gladius » Fri May 03, 2019 12:13 pm

I'd scrub it with Bar Keepers Friend and that will likely be enough.

mauichef

Post by mauichef » Fri May 03, 2019 12:20 pm

I agree with Drewski and gladius. It does not look like rust to me especially the way it has formed.
A rust eraser might spoil the finish so after the paper towel test you might want to try BKF or Fitz.
There are instances where a saya can trap moisture. It does not happen often. Blade guards are notorious for trapping moisture however.
I use VCI paper on all my carbon blades. Tsubaki oil is great but you need to ensure the coverage is complete as the smallest uncoated spot will eventually rust. It's happened to me several times.
VCI paper should be changed out at least every year I believe.

Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 » Fri May 03, 2019 12:58 pm

That doesn’t look like rust to me. I think this is a result of carbon migration from the core carbon steel to the stainless cladding right at the transition. The patina shows up black especially with acidic food. My Anryu looks the same way. There’s a dark black band right at the transition while the core steel is a much lighter gray. It’s been very stable and nothing really to worry about
Last edited by Bluenoser87 on Fri May 03, 2019 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 » Fri May 03, 2019 1:01 pm

Here’s mine for comparison
27A23EA6-95FD-49D8-8180-F0FCC1C58262.jpeg

Cutuu

Post by Cutuu » Fri May 03, 2019 1:16 pm

Yup, pretty normal patina. Basically, you should expect something like that.

Chefboyrbelom

Post by Chefboyrbelom » Fri May 03, 2019 6:16 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone. I took a paper towel to it and did not see any brown rub off so I'll just call it me being paranoid.

The specific spot in question is 1/3 from the left and it does look brown to me, different from the rest of the dark patina color developing elsewhere, but maybe it will darken as well with time.

gocanes

Post by gocanes » Sat May 11, 2019 11:09 am

My impression is that orange/red rust is death. All other colors I'm ok with. During monthly maintenance, I personally use a rust eraser before stropping and or sharpening. It does leave a scratch pattern on the blade though, if that bothers you. Some people advise going the same direction as the grind markings with the rust eraser. I personally don't care enough to do that.

Jeff B

Post by Jeff B » Sat May 11, 2019 7:57 pm

gocanes wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 11:09 am
My impression is that orange/red rust is death. All other colors I'm ok with....
If we are just talking color this is definitely not true. These colors are not always rust. I have mono steel carbon slicers that have lots of orange and reddish colors. The colors change a lot on these blades too. If the colors transfer to paper or cloths when wiped you may have a problem but otherwise it's just another color like blues and grays. When knives have a rainbow of colors to them is when I think they are at their coolest.

If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.