pies

Proper user technique and care is essential to enjoying these high performance knives to their fullest while keeping edge damage to a minimum. Learn how here.
handle333

pies

Post by handle333 »

what is the best knife for cutting pies? been reading and seeing serrated and smooth edge knife use (chef knife).....on slicing a top and bottom layer crust OF fruit pie. can any one give me advice which to use when.....the places i been on web and in books dont say either way. But yet there is video on cutting the pies where they show a serrated knife being used and also a chef knife. one video is at How to Cut Pie Without Making a Crumbly Mess at.... purewow...then go to mrs. smith pie cutting video ......How to cut, garnish and serve Mrs. Smith Pie matt horn ....yes i know what he says why he uses a serrated knife. but if what he says is true than why does purewow and even american test kitchen...at how to serve the perfect fruit pie video show chef knife cutting pie. any help appr.
knifenut

Re: pies

Post by knifenut »

Don't know if this helps, but I just cut a three-layer coconut cake into about 12 pieces with a kono w2 laser. It did the trick :mrgreen:
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

Sometimes if you have a harder top crust you might want to use a serated knife with a lot of sawing motion and little to no downward pressure in order to cut the crust without crushing it.
For pies without a shell type of crust you Might be better off with something non serated.

For the record, I wouldn't use anything too fancy since cutting pies usually means cutting onto a metal or aluminum pie tin...
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

I often use two knives for cutting pies, as STPepper suggests a serrated one for the top and the edges of the crust and a standard edge to get down to the tin. The different layers have different needs, so they get different knives.
handle333

Post by handle333 »

thanks... But why does the test kitchen video and mr.smith video show same pie fruit and yet both use two different knives. the one video uses a smooth blade non serrated to get through crust....why wouldnt they use the serrated as you said.( different layers)...... they felt crust was a harder layer?. also it was a shell crust and they used a non serrated to.....bec. it wasnt a hard crust? just want to confirm...thanks
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

STPepper9 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:37 pm Sometimes if you have a harder top crust you might want to use a serated knife with a lot of sawing motion and little to no downward pressure in order to cut the crust without crushing it.
For pies without a shell type of crust you Might be better off with something non serated.

For the record, I wouldn't use anything too fancy since cutting pies usually means cutting onto a metal or aluminum pie tin...
+1 Don't wreck your edges cutting on pie tins.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

handle333 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:08 am thanks... But why does the test kitchen video and mr.smith video show same pie fruit and yet both use two different knives. the one video uses a smooth blade non serrated to get through crust....why wouldnt they use the serrated as you said.( different layers)...... they felt crust was a harder layer?. also it was a shell crust and they used a non serrated to.....bec. it wasnt a hard crust? just want to confirm...thanks
Different strokes for different folks
gladius

Post by gladius »

I like using a thin boning knife sharp except for the tip. It works great and does not cut through tins.
BillyKitchen

Post by BillyKitchen »

After spending a couple years in Asia I learnt to use a cleaver to cut and serve cake. Well, I learnt how to use a cleaver to do anything but cutting cake was something that was better than my previous methods.
TomCutlery

Post by TomCutlery »