Fruits and seeds

Proper user technique and care is essential to enjoying these high performance knives to their fullest while keeping edge damage to a minimum. Learn how here.
turko

Fruits and seeds

Post by turko »

In anticipation of my jknife arriving I've been more mindful of what I am cutting. Therefore, this morning while cutting some guava I noticed the seeds were pretty hard and have no clue if it would be fine using my new knife in this. Are there any fruits with seeds that you probably would grab your "beater" instead? What about foods outside of fruits. I know bones etc and stuff. But what else.
bruin

Re: Fruits and seeds

Post by bruin »

Better safe than sorry. Granted both were easily fixable, I’ve had some minor damage caused to jknives from apple and chili seeds. This of course will vary depending on product, knife and technique. What knife do you have coming?
turko

Post by turko »

Makoto Ryusei AS
bruin

Post by bruin »

You may find that knife a little chippy on harder ingredients. The best choice is to start slowly and feel it out. If something doesn’t feel right, stop. But if you do some minor damage it’s OK and totally fixable.
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

When in doubt use a beater knife. That's what they are for.
cedarhouse

Post by cedarhouse »

I don't think I've cut much guava.

I'm a home cook, I don't work super fast. Accordingly, I tend not to worry too much about what I'll run into inside produce. Like bruin said, if something feels wrong, I back out and start again. That said, I recently discovered that I had several chips in the edges of some of my knives...so do so at your own risk.

As an example, there was a thread many years ago about common causes of edge damage. Mark said one of the biggest was removing the pit from avocados. I was shocked. I've been removing avocado pits with my Kono laser for years. No damage. Upshot, a lot has to do with you, your technique, your patience, etc. I know this is a punt but you will learn what you can and cannot do with your new knife.
theejlee

Post by theejlee »

I’ve taken my Kohetsu AS to avocado pits and sliced cases of Fresno chilies down to the butt. Never chipped it. F’ing workhorse!

My Nihei SLD on the other hand...out of the box and an hour into service and the edge was riddled with small chips.
Chappychap

Post by Chappychap »

stevem627 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:59 pm When in doubt use a beater knife. That's what they are for.
This ^^ strategy is the ultimate anxiety reducer/chip preventer. Over time you'll get a feel for your Japanese knife's capabilities/limits, and you'll be able to adjust the threshold of what you use the beater for accordingly. But starting with this position will save you a lot of stress (and chips) whilst you figure things out.
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

I think when most of us here refer to "beater" knives that we use of let people use, we are still using a good knife. I have an old knife (forget the brand), and some Mercer knives that are all WELL maintained and cut quite nice. All these knives are always exciting for most people to use because they are still SHARP and I've found most people aren't used to a well maintained knife. My beaters are in drawers with felt knife guards so I never hesitate to use them or hand them out.
Chappychap

Post by Chappychap »

stevem627 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:16 pm I think when most of us here refer to "beater" knives that we use of let people use, we are still using a good knife. I have an old knife (forget the brand), and some Mercer knives that are all WELL maintained and cut quite nice. All these knives are always exciting for most people to use because they are still SHARP and I've found most people aren't used to a well maintained knife. My beaters are in drawers with felt knife guards so I never hesitate to use them or hand them out.
Couldn't agree more. My Mercer Renaissance (no finger guard for easy sharpening) is still a joy to use even at $40, because it is well maintained. On supremely lazy days when I don't want to think about knife technique I even reach for it. For the OP I'd encourage to look at a well maintained beater a continued part of the essential kit that a Japanese knife will never replace.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

cedarhouse wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:45 pm I don't think I've cut much guava.

I'm a home cook, I don't work super fast. Accordingly, I tend not to worry too much about what I'll run into inside produce. Like bruin said, if something feels wrong, I back out and start again. That said, I recently discovered that I had several chips in the edges of some of my knives...so do so at your own risk.

As an example, there was a thread many years ago about common causes of edge damage. Mark said one of the biggest was removing the pit from avocados. I was shocked. I've been removing avocado pits with my Kono laser for years. No damage. Upshot, a lot has to do with you, your technique, your patience, etc. I know this is a punt but you will learn what you can and cannot do with your new knife.
Yeah, I'm pretty much with cedarhouse here, with home cook and technique. I cut up a selection of fruits daily, with mostly lasers at 60 to 65HRC and have no problems at all with apples, oranges, grapefruit & the like. So seeds seem to be OK, but I obviously do something different for fruits with stones. I keep my knives pretty sharp, but I don't know how or if this helps or hinders. YMMV
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
bLoebs

Post by bLoebs »

From a home cooking perspective, I've never had an issue with snacking fruits. Peppers seeds always stress me out though and squashes (which seem like more of a personal paranoia than anything I've read on the forum) Current beater is a Misen knife that I sharpen every few months when I notice the wifey having trouble getting through stuff
7x57mm@gmail.com

Post by 7x57mm@gmail.com »

This is an old thread but here is an Avocado seed removal hack that has worked for me on the last 4 avocados I've eaten. Caveat, best used on a semi-ripe to properly ripened avocado. Halve the avocado per your normal SOP. The half with the pit, lightly squeeze it front to back and then side to side. You will see the pit slightly pull away from the flesh. Then using your index, middle finger and thumb, you can pop it right out. Hold the avocado half with the butt end (big end) facing your palm with flesh side up. Using your index and middle finger, straddle the pit on each side (think peace sign) and your thumb on the bottom of the avocado directly over the pit. Press in with your thumb and the pit pops right out. No more need to use a knife to do the 'ol smack and twist.