Newbie between use

Proper user technique and care is essential to enjoying these high performance knives to their fullest while keeping edge damage to a minimum. Learn how here.
Tls67bug

Newbie between use

Post by Tls67bug »

Hello, brand new to forum. Would like to store knives on counter but don't know if this is "good" practice or not. (Takeda Sasanoha SS clad, Takeda Classic and Konosuke SKD are what I'm looking to care for)

Looking to be educated in their care and storage between uses.

Thanks in advance for any advice...
Jeff B

Re: Newbie between use

Post by Jeff B »

Welcome to the forum. Many ways to keep your knives on the counter and many do. Just make sure your knives are clean and dry before storing and you'll be fine.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Welcome to The forum. I guess that would all depend on whether you intended to keep them in a block or just sitting on the counter top. I don't believe I would ever leave a non-protected edge on the countertop. The reason is things on countertops get moved around a lot and I would hate to see an edge damage on one of those beautiful knives. If you're just looking to keep the knives on the countertops sans a block I would definitely recommend looking at an edge guard or sheath.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

So much depends on your environment as well as general safety and care. Many options for many instances. What are yours?
cliff

Post by cliff »

I think a magnetic rack is ideal, though I don't have room for one. I have fashioned an in-drawer system -- you can get them already made in many permutations. Do you have drawer space? I don't love blocks. They don't work with bigger knives, though if it's just the Takeda Classic, maybe a cleaver spot would work? Also the Konosuke maybe thicker than most blocks can handle.
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

I really like the ease and immediacy of knife blocks. Given my environment, circumstances and preferences, they're generally a great option. There are some caveats, though. As others have posted, finding your best storage options really depends on understanding the specifics of your own environment.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Cigarguy

Post by Cigarguy »

Unlike cigars, knives are easy. One is safety for humans from being cut and poked by a knife. Compared to knives, we humans are high maintenance, cry lots and bleed easily. Knives are easy to store so long as they are clean and dry they will be happy. Few things in life like being bashed together so if you can keep knives from bashing into each other, that would be a good idea too.
Tls67bug

Post by Tls67bug »

Hello, thank you all for the replies, I am leaning toward a magnetic for ease of access and like them being out. Live in dry climate area of California. Have just older kids left in House so no young kid safety concerns. REally appreciate the responses. Want to give these knives the care they deserve.
Best
Tls67bug

Post by Tls67bug »

@Jeff B. Love those racks will be looking for something similar!!
Renvers

Post by Renvers »

Jeff B wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:08 am Maybe something similar to this? https://www.chefknivestogoforums.com/vi ... 653#p86653
Ok I’m so glad this thread got brought up, hadn’t seen before and Drewski’s 6 foot magnetic rack is just everything!! So impressed but to big for kitchen.. need to figure out how to subtly fit into home decor without guests thinking I’m running some sort of mid-evil torture house :lol:
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Renvers wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:52 pm
Jeff B wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:08 am Maybe something similar to this? https://www.chefknivestogoforums.com/vi ... 653#p86653
Ok I’m so glad this thread got brought up, hadn’t seen before and Drewski’s 6 foot magnetic rack is just everything!! So impressed but to big for kitchen.. need to figure out how to subtly fit into home decor without guests thinking I’m running some sort of mid-evil torture house :lol:
Ya, I get a lot of funny looks/questions from friends/in-laws :lol:
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Drewski wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:05 am Ya, I get a lot of funny looks/questions from friends/in-laws :lol:
Do you get the "How come you have so many knives when you can only use one at a time" question?
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Bob Z wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:29 am
Drewski wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:05 am Ya, I get a lot of funny looks/questions from friends/in-laws :lol:
Do you get the "How come you have so many knives when you can only use one at a time" question?
Big time! Followed up by "do you actually use all of them?" and "which one is the best?"