Kershaw #1930 steel

Proper user technique and care is essential to enjoying these high performance knives to their fullest while keeping edge damage to a minimum. Learn how here.
indiglofish61

Kershaw #1930 steel

Post by indiglofish61 »

I have a set of Naniwa stones ranging from 200 to the 8k Snow White, now I have a pocket knife from Kershaw # 1930 steel I guess, it says on the knife, anyway, I been sharpening it on the Naniwa stones and it is difficult to get a decent edge. Would a soaking stone work better on this kind of steel, rather then the splash and go stones? I sharpen my Japanese blue steel knives on the Naniwas, and they come out sharp, sharp. any comments or suggestions the Kershaw knife? Thank you.
nevrknow

Re: Kershaw #1930 steel

Post by nevrknow »

Model 1930?

8CR13MoV stainless steel

I have used King stones on that steel. I had a pocket knife with that steel once. They also worked pretty well on the sandvik Kershaw blades that are my EDC's.

Hang tight and the real sharpening pros will lead you in the right direction.

My 2 cents but it was free. :)
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

I sharpened a Kershaw with that steel that hadn't been sharpened before and was surprised by the amount of time I had to spend on the coarsest stone. It wasn't in terrible shape, but establishing a clean, uniform bevel was fighting me. I'm not sure if it was the steel or just my overall lack of experience sharpening edc knives, but once I got a passable edge on the coarsest stone and moved up I had no problem. Naniwa superstone, pro, lobster, Snow White, green brick or any of their stones should be able to handle it. Focus on the heavy lifting and the rest will come easy.
nevrknow

Post by nevrknow »

jmcnelly85 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:40 pm I'm not sure if it was the steel or just my overall lack of experience sharpening edc knives, but once I got a passable edge on the coarsest stone and moved up I had no problem.
^^^ THIS! ^^^ . Banged my memory loose with this statement. It was a Kershaw 3/4 Ton knife with the same steel. Took me a while but once I got it going it got scary sharp.
Ourorboros

Post by Ourorboros »

jmcnelly85,
I've had trouble with 8CR13MoV before too. Oddly the steel is thought of as an equivalent to AUS8, a steel that like to be sharpened.

indoglofish61,
I don't see how other stones would help. Kershaw is supposed to have one of the better renditions of 8CR13MoV too. I've tried to avoid it when possible though.
gladius

Post by gladius »

Use the diamond plate you use for flattening to start the bevel but don't create a burr if you can help it, just get almost to the edge...from there resume using the coarsest stone you have (Naniwa 200) to form an edge and continue from there.
indiglofish61

Post by indiglofish61 »

Thanks for the feed back, I will try the plate, thanks again.