First time sharpening...

Proper user technique and care is essential to enjoying these high performance knives to their fullest while keeping edge damage to a minimum. Learn how here.
scratchedup

First time sharpening...

Post by scratchedup »

A few observations-
Just bought the Shapton 320, 1K, 5K w/ 140 flattening plate.

I attempted to sharpen a few high quality kitchen knives for the first time.

1. Holding the angle was easier then I thought but the whole process is more time consuming then I thought…it takes a while to focus and remove enough material to start getting the blade back to really sharp.

2. I did indeed find starting with the 320 essential but the 1000 is the backbone of sharpness.

3. The technique like is more the Kramer style of a sliding diagonally across the full length of the blade and using all the stone surface area.

4. Interestingly, I’m glad I purchased the 140 flattening plate. I used it right away. I took down all the corners and edges on the stones and found them to be slightly lacking in flatness.

5. I’m real happy with the Shapton's and the case that holds them out of the box however, I cut the attached plastic cover off. When sharpening in the plastic case the opposite folding cover protrudes higher then the stone cradle side so it is fully in the way of smooth knife motion.

6. I find it helpful when moving the blade to focus and visualize on the center or mid section of the stone. This helps to keep the blade away from the edges.
jmcnelly85

Re: First time sharpening...

Post by jmcnelly85 »

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by number five. Are you sharpening inside the case with the top open? Take the stone out of the case, close the case, and the stone will fit on top of the cover with nothing in the way.
scratchedup

Post by scratchedup »

OOPs
Operator error. You are correct.
There are what appear to be drain holes on the inside so I assumed blade work was done there...
Gregory27

Post by Gregory27 »

jmcnelly85 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:46 am I'm not sure I understand what you mean by number five. Are you sharpening inside the case with the top open? Take the stone out of the case, close the case, and the stone will fit on top of the cover with nothing in the way.
LOL... and I just learned something about my SG 500 case... I thought it seemed dumb to put rubber feet on the case if the lid would just get in the way. I'm glad that I just bought a nice stone holder instead of cutting the lid off.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

:lol:
nevrknow

Post by nevrknow »

Cutuu wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:13 pm:lol:
Glad I wasn't the only one that giggled when this was read. Had to read it twice I thought I had read it wrong. :)
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

If I listed every sharpening mistake I've made, I hope you guys would laugh with me. That being said, this is a first time sharpening, let's back off a little.

Keep on grinding, there's more mistakes to come.
nevrknow

Post by nevrknow »

jmcnelly85 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:15 pm If I listed every sharpening mistake I've made, I hope you guys would laugh with me. That being said, this is a first time sharpening, let's back off a little.

+1....scratchedup we're just funning. I could write a book on every time I messed up. :lol:

And re-reading your original post ( #4 ), I realized something. I flatten every new stone I get now. Almost subconscious to me at this point.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

jmcnelly85 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:15 pm If I listed every sharpening mistake I've made, I hope you guys would laugh with me. That being said, this is a first time sharpening, let's back off a little.

I meant mine as laughing together, unfortunately there is no emoji for that. Theres no shame in a mistake like that. I could see that happening. But... Its still funny :lol:. Ive made plenty of mistakes and still do, but we got to have some fun.
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

One thing that took me a while to learn about #2 is that the sharper your 320 edge gets, the sharper your 1k and 5k will get. On six, I like to watch the swarf move. Not only does it make interesting patterns, but a good pass will move the swarf differently when I'm on vs off the right angle.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

jmcnelly85 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:19 am One thing that took me a while to learn about #2 is that the sharper your 320 edge gets, the sharper your 1k and 5k will get. On six, I like to watch the swarf move. Not only does it make interesting patterns, but a good pass will move the swarf differently when I'm on vs off the right angle.
+1 on " sharper your 320 edge gets" sharper the rest gets. On occasion I've shaved off 320.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

jmcnelly85 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:19 am One thing that took me a while to learn about #2 is that the sharper your 320 edge gets, the sharper your 1k and 5k will get. On six, I like to watch the swarf move. Not only does it make interesting patterns, but a good pass will move the swarf differently when I'm on vs off the right angle.
I like the on vs off the right angle comment here - first time I've seen it mentioned. I'm only new to freehand sharpening, but I religiously watch the swarf patterns as they form. i can tell when I'm on the right angle by the feel (just can't keep it there haha), however the swarf pattern also changes when the grind angle matches the bevel angle. I find that it also helps a lot when working the tip of the blade by providing "witness marks" of what I'm doing. I'm still struggling a bit with the tip and also the transition from the main part of the blade edge moving towards the tip, but watching the swarf helps somewhat.

Just my 2c worth.
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

It's particularly apparent polishing with a softer, muddy stone while skating over the mud... some smears look just right. It also gives clues as to where your water/mud ratio is. I still haven't 100 percent figured that part out but I've gotten better.

My main struggle spot has always been where the curve starts before the tip. My tips are great, my heels are great, but that one spot always needs more love.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Hi There jmc - sorry I have missed your response until now. Yeah as I said its that transition segment that I struggle with too. For me I kinda understand why either the tip or the main part of the blade might end up good, bad or indifferent, but not with the transition. It's sometimes good, occasionally a bit rough and more often somewhere in between, but I don't have much understanding of effect & cause.

I am definitely guilty of over-thinking this stuff at times and am quite happy to keep working through it as I take Pete Nowlan's advice of "... patience & persistence ..." Plus I need to do a lot more sharpening to get the " ... practice ..." of Pete's 4 P's!!!!
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
rebaz

Post by rebaz »

that is amazing post....
Graduated from Soran University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science