Kohetsu just had a nice prep day with my new kohe

Proper user technique and care is essential to enjoying these high performance knives to their fullest while keeping edge damage to a minimum. Learn how here.
The sharp one

Kohetsu just had a nice prep day with my new kohe

Post by The sharp one »

Just had a nice prep day with my new kohetsu 210 and is the hap40 stainless semi stainless. I small diced like 20 onions and tomatoes and peppers just like any day , but for some reason my blade started to form a patina.. I wipped my blade down after cutting the only difference is today I didn't us a sani towel I was using a clean dry one 😣 Lucky I had some BKF at home put what is bothering me is the Lil water spot that is left on the tip . I scrubbed it with a greeny and it lighten up but I was wondering why it happened. I'm new to Japanese cutlery any advice will b appreciated. I don't like the patina look just yet so I want to keep my knife looking clean do I really have to bkf it every other day if I want to keep it this way or sure I make sure to have a sani towel next shift? I work in a high pace kitchen one of The selling points for me was that I wouldn't have to wipe it down every single time
Bensbites

Re: Kohetsu just had a nice prep day with my new kohe

Post by Bensbites »

Isn't Hap40 a semistainless steel? My understanding is that it is still reactive, just not as reactive as a "high carbon steel knife".
-btm-

Post by -btm- »

The core steel will patina some. In my experience the full stainless cladding can also patina with some Kohetsu knives. The cladding on my AS 210 has turned slightly blue-gray. Either way you won't have to baby the knife too much. Patina isn't a bad thing (as opposed to actual rust). Just use and enjoy!
appleward91

Post by appleward91 »

I have the 210 hap40 wa style, and i don't understand how you don like the patina that forms at the bottom. I almost TRY to make the edge patina, due to the wave pattern on this knife it looks sooooo cool when the edge has darkened and the rest of the blade is stainless cladded.
milkbaby

Post by milkbaby »

Some people like the two towel approach when using carbon steel knives: one wet towel to wipe, then a dry one after the wet one. Semi-stainless maybe you can get away with wiping less frequently but the steel still has too little chromium to resist staining or patina. If you always want a shiny blade then that means cleaning it every day like sushi chefs do.
gladius

Post by gladius »

Kohetsu HAP40 is semi-stainless with ~4.5% chromium so it will stain BUT that chrome minimizes rust potential as does letting it develop a patina. I just use it and don't fuss too much with wiping - it does just fine. If you don't like patina, then look at acquiring a full stainless knife. The Kohetsu HAP40 line are very nice knives and take a very keen edge; much better than full stainless blades - best of both worlds.