Carbon blade care how much effort is it really?

Proper user technique and care is essential to enjoying these high performance knives to their fullest while keeping edge damage to a minimum. Learn how here.
Maitake

Carbon blade care how much effort is it really?

Post by Maitake »

So what is the level of care required for a carbon blade say compared to a cast iron skillet?

I have a stargazer skillet and find the care to keep the seasoning minimal, and enjoyable as I know the small amount of care it takes makes an amazing cooking surface.

Is this in any way relatable to a carbon blade?
Is a carbon blade more/less work or just too different to relate to cast iron care?
Is an occasional "rust incident" with a carbon blade really detrimental or can they be cleaned up, sharpened up and keep on rocking?

Machine gunning questions I guess, but just trying to get a handle on it.

Thx.
Maitake
Kalaeb

Re: Carbon blade care how much effort is it really?

Post by Kalaeb »

I spend more time caring for my steel and cast pans than I do knives by a fair margin (excluding sharpening).

Don't leave food on it, wipe dry and put away...that's all I do. If a small of rust happens it's an easy fix.
Eversor13

Post by Eversor13 »

I agree with Kalaeb, if you let you knives get a patina it's pretty dang easy to care for them. Some people, and especially some japanese chefs (so I've heard) will obsessively clean the patina off the knife after every use. If you want to do that it might be a pain.

The method for cleaning I use is to wash it off, wipe it dry, but also importantly, before putting it back in the knife block I use for storage (where it will have to air flow) I let it air dry for a short time or wave it back and forth in the air a few times (make sure to not stab anyone!) to make sure the small amount of water on the surface that you can't wipe off evaporates. Since I started waiting a short time to store them after wiping dry I haven't had many (any?) problems with rust.
Maitake

Post by Maitake »

That doesn't sound too bad at all.
Thanks for the insight.

Maitake
salemj

Post by salemj »

I'd add that, as a home cook, I've developed a particular opinion on this:

If I am doing mise-en-place (prepping everything before starting to cook), carbon is essentially exactly the same as stainless in terms of use, how often I need to rinse and wipe it (between ingredients), etc., etc., but I enjoy the feel of it more in cutting. However, if I am preparing a complicated soup or stew and I am cooking as I go, carbon can be more of a hassle. Cutting an onion, then getting distracted by browning meat that may burn, then dealing with moving the onion, stirring, going back to the meat, then peeling the garlic, then answering a friend's question and taking a sip of a drink, then going to cut the garlic...and then I realize the carbon blade was sitting with onion juice on it the whole time that was drying and crusting on. Is the knife harmed? Not at all. But is it more of a hassle and does it create an uglier patina, etc.? Yes. So, when I'm doing this type of cooking, I often grab a semi-stainless or stainless, and/or I just make sure to use lower heat on the stove. :)
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
milkbaby

Post by milkbaby »

It's less work than a cast iron pan. I actually use my cast iron less because I don't like to leave it dirty long, and I dry it on the stovetop, oil, then heat again before letting cool then storing away.

In contrast, I basically only use carbon steel knives now and the only thing I do is rinse with water, then towel dry with a first then second towel (the second towel tends to dry out any spots I missed with the first), and air dry before storing. I usually leave the knives out on countertop an hour or two to thoroughly dry then store in saya or on magnetic strip. A lot of people don't store in saya because the possibility of rust from moisture but with my care routine this has never been a problem even in humid Florida where I live.

Let me add that I leave the natural patina, so I don't spend any time trying to restore knives to pristine look. I guess that would add time and effort but useless to me as the patina actually gets rid of undesirable food reactivity.
Maitake

Post by Maitake »

Thanks all, I will give carbon and clad a try after I get some quality time with the new Kanehiro gyuto ginsan 210.
Hopefully I will learn something about what I am looking for and it will inform my next purchase.
I may pick up some inexpensive Tojiro carbons to get a feel for them. Not a big loss if it doesn't work out and they seem to be popular.
See you over in the what knife should I buy thread!
PappaG

Post by PappaG »

Carbon pans are much more difficult. Carbon knives vary quite a bit. Some are much more reactive then others.
Eutectic

Post by Eutectic »

For me it was just a matter of building habits. Now I habitually rinse it after cutting up foods and after finishing I leave it out to dry. That's about it.
Tastyjibblets

Post by Tastyjibblets »

Once you are finished cutting rinse and dry. That’s about it just don’t walk away from it wet.
turko

Post by turko »

PappaG wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:07 pm Carbon pans are much more difficult. Carbon knives vary quite a bit. Some are much more reactive then others.
Sorry for reviving an old thread but I think this one answered some questions I had and removed some hesitation in getting reactive metal knives for the first time.

Here this poster says some are more reactive than others, is that due to differences in metals (White vs Blue) or even with the same metal, Blue #2 for example, different knives can still be different? Which metal is the least reactive between White #1, #2, Blue #1, #2, Super?
salemj

Post by salemj »

turko wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:42 pm
PappaG wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:07 pm Carbon pans are much more difficult. Carbon knives vary quite a bit. Some are much more reactive then others.
Sorry for reviving an old thread but I think this one answered some questions I had and removed some hesitation in getting reactive metal knives for the first time.

Here this poster says some are more reactive than others, is that due to differences in metals (White vs Blue) or even with the same metal, Blue #2 for example, different knives can still be different? Which metal is the least reactive between White #1, #2, Blue #1, #2, Super?
It does have to do with the metal, but not the "core" metal so much as the blade metal. Some knives are monosteel (all one steel), but many are multi-layers. Some multi-layered knives have plain iron coatings. In general, the fewer alloys, the worst the reactivity. So, usually, an alloyed steel (like Hitachi steels whites and blues) will patina less aggressively, whereas "pure iron" sheaths for some knives (like Konosuke Fujiyamas) can be much more reactive than other types of metals. (Reactive damascus also tends to be less reactive.)
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
cliff

Post by cliff »

There are differences among the paper steels, but the bigger variable is the cladding when that's reactive. Some cladding is super reactive while others are much less so. There is less of a range with the paper steels. I believe white is more reactive than blue and blue super tends to be pretty resistant. It will patina easily and rust if you abuse it, but, in my experience, once I get a patina, it's pretty stable.
polytope

Post by polytope »

Also, rust is just very very slow uncontrolled oxidation. Who here hasn't set 🔥 to anything in their kitchen, accidentally or on purpose? Just put it out before it gets out of hand, nbd.

Eventually you have a patina and it's no longer a worry.
cliff

Post by cliff »

Part of the equation also is how do you want the carbon to look? If you want to keep it looking brand new, you will have to work for it. Polishing on a high level is an art. If you just want to keep up your tools, it's really not hard at all, even with clad knives.
turko

Post by turko »

I don't think I mind some patina... On the contrary, I think it gives it character.

I have read there are ways to force patina onto the knife for that extra protection by rubbing white vinegar on it. Has anyone tried that?
cliff

Post by cliff »

You can find youtube videos with various approaches, e.g. https://youtu.be/LlnyjpEs32I. My favorite approach is to slice some cooked pork shoulder or boneless chicken. You get vibrant blues that way.
turko

Post by turko »

That's cool... So different foods can leave behind different hues of patina? Did you leave it for like 20 mins after cutting and then wash it too like in the video?
Szyclops

Post by Szyclops »

The Patina will develop over time with regular use. I have left it in some foods (i.e. meat) for an extra ~60 seconds to force more of a patina, but otherwise the metal will make its magic over time. I'd you force a patina with vinegar, be careful, because you can over-force and have buildup which will come off on your food. It isn't dangerous, some say it can supply a beneficial mix of nutrients, but I personally like to wash it off.

The nice thing is, if you don't like a patina, you can always polish off and try again! Over the years your knives will build their own character unique to you and your food, it's pretty cool.

Edit: fixed typo
salemj

Post by salemj »

turko wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 1:37 am That's cool... So different foods can leave behind different hues of patina? Did you leave it for like 20 mins after cutting and then wash it too like in the video?
Yeah, different foods cause different reactions. I would avoid "timing" how long you leave things on to force a patina. The only time I do this is with meat, which tends to be less reactive (less acidic or alkaline) than many vegetables, and even then, I might let it sit for only about 3-5 minutes while I clean up everything else first. Leaving the knife sit with more reactive juices is really more "forcing" than you need. If you cook just one meal without wiping down the knife after every cut, you should already have a good start to a patina that will only grown over time.
~Joe