New Masamoto KS handle

Proper user technique and care is essential to enjoying these high performance knives to their fullest while keeping edge damage to a minimum. Learn how here.
Drewski

New Masamoto KS handle

Post by Drewski »

Hi all,
First off, I'm brand new to posting to this forum site, but have been a faithful follower of many topics (knife recs, reviews, pass arounds) for over a year now. The questions I've had regarding knife purchases have been answered in other's posts. Ive gotten a real big kick reading everybody's advice. Now, I have ended up with a new Masamoto KS 270.

Most of what I have read, people seem pretty unhappy with the f&f of the handle on this series, and mine does not seem to be an exception. There is at least one gap in the resin the looks like it would allow water access to the tang. This problem was posed earlier in this forum (fixing minor fit and finish issues) but I was hoping for advice specific to this knife. Several knives I have purchased have custom handles (Schroeder, gorgeous), so I am not opposed to going that route. Does anyone see a value in keeping the original KS handle on? I actually like it for now, but I don't want to fix the resin gap in a way that makes it impossible to put a custom on at some point. I have no idea how hard or easy it is to take a wa handle off a knife. Would superglue be the way to go here? Or would wax (from a candle?) be better suited? Something else? Should I scrape the original resin off before applying new stuff? Thanks for any advice you can give!
Attachments
20180402_000452.jpg
20180402_000359.jpg
20180402_000219.jpg
dAviD

Re: New Masamoto KS handle

Post by dAviD »

Yeah that would drive me nuts.

The way I would temporary patch it is clean off some of the extra exposed epoxy or whatever that is
Then treat it with butcher block oil until the handle seems to have soaked in as much as it's going to.
Allot of time that helps with any steps between the buffalo horn and ho wood.
Obviously a custom handle is going to be nicer in the end but I've found that it's better to wait and see if it's even going to stay before I go to the effort to get a new handle on anything.
Those type of handles general come off with little effort if done right.

If your really concerned about water getting in, what I have used in a pinch that seems to be a good short term fix is this stuff:
http://m.loctiteproducts.com/p/19/0/43/go2_gel/Go2-Gel

It's worked great at sealing up the gap on my Chinese cleavers and holds up well.
Just barely use enough.

When I had a KS with a stock handle the oil really seems to be the easiest way to help make it nicer.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I would clean the epoxy up to where I was satisfied with the appearance and then fill any gaps with beeswax. Even if you feel the gaps with some type of epoxy the handle can still be taken off but it will be ruined in the process.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Since you are talking about filling a small gap, I would use superglue, two-part epoxy, or any other food safe wax. I don’t think the amount of adhesive needed would prevent handle removal later. If you are using an adhesive, coat the blade and handle with board conditioner leaving only the area you want the adhesive to stick. Stray superglue and epoxy can be removedcwith acetone if needed.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

If I recall on the few that I have rehandled, the handle is not epoxied on, just burned in and set with wax. That being said, it was relatively easy to get off on the older models (I have not rehandled the newer batch yet so I don't know I this still applies).

If you are planning on an updated handle, just use some wax , that loctite product David recommended or Sugru or something water proof, but easier to remove.

These handles do well with a good soak in oil and wax after
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

I'm with Jeff on this. Tidy it up and add some wax/mineral oil paste.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Thanks for the replies! Really appreciate the advice.
Barashka

Post by Barashka »

My KS install was actually pretty good, but handle itself is lacking.
Some waxes etc might make it better, but you can only polish a rough thing so much.
Taking off the handle isn't any harder then any other well-installed handle ... so not trivial, but quite possible. Put a plank of wood taller then the blade against the choil and hammer hard from the top: the handle will slip off. (it's likely it was burnt in).
When you put a new one on, use two part epoxy to put it back on.
New handles *really* change how a knife feels ... my cheapo funayuki with tapered handle feels awesome in hand while the unicorn KS stock is kinda ok.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

It is just wax. Mine was the same way and I thought it was epoxy but it isn't. I prefer wax because I can always add it again later if need be without messing things up.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

With handle under control, I'm now on the prowl for a Masamoto saya for this thing. The Masamoto site offers one, but it's listed close to $80CAD. Same with Hocho. Does anybody know where to get a saya at a Masamoto reasonable price? Would I be better off going custom? Are there affordable custom options?
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

If you have a Dremel and some time you can do it yourself. It's not complicated and can be pretty rewarding.

That being said, Cody Paul makes a mean saya. They are not unreasonable in terms of price. Treestump leather makes great leather sheath.
pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

Duy just started making some pretty nice friction fit sayas. I don’t know if there’s enough taper on the KS spine near the handle to accommodate for a friction fit, but I’m sure that he could just as easily make you a standard saya with pin. IIRC, his sayas start at around $50. You can find him on IG (@dphamblades) or PM him here (chefdpham).
--- Steve
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Kalaeb wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:14 pm If you have a Dremel and some time you can do it yourself. It's not complicated and can be pretty rewarding.

That being said, Cody Paul makes a mean saya. They are not unreasonable in terms of price. Treestump leather makes great leather sheath.
Good call, but no tools available at this point in my life. Someday I can totally see getting into saya and handle making though. Will definitely be hitting up Cody in the future sometime for a saya and/or handle. Thanks for the recommendation.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

pd7077 wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:38 pm Duy just started making some pretty nice friction fit sayas. I don’t know if there’s enough taper on the KS spine near the handle to accommodate for a friction fit, but I’m sure that he could just as easily make you a standard saya with pin. IIRC, his sayas start at around $50. You can find him on IG (@dphamblades) or PM him here (chefdpham).
Thanks Steve, I just finished placing an order with Duy. 50 + shipping + exchange rate left me a bit over $80 but I know this will be a beautiful product. Went with a two tone maple and brass pin.
pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

No problem man. Duy has been cranking out some pretty nice handles as well. I’ll be sending him a knife or two in the near future. Keep us posted on how that saya works out for you!
--- Steve
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

pd7077 wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:38 pm Duy just started making some pretty nice friction fit sayas. I don’t know if there’s enough taper on the KS spine near the handle to accommodate for a friction fit, but I’m sure that he could just as easily make you a standard saya with pin. IIRC, his sayas start at around $50. You can find him on IG (@dphamblades) or PM him here (chefdpham).
KS sayas are friction fit. At least mine is. So it has to be possible. Clicks right in place and won't shake off.

Edit: I would surely look at aftermarket like suggested in this post though. While there is nothing wrong with the Masamoto Saya it isn't worth $80! Mine came with the knife at cost...Otherwise I'd have bought a cheap one. It is just ho wood with what appears to be burnt on Kanji and mine didn't even get impressed entirely.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Brother-in-laws dog somehow got ahold of my KS saya. He almost was introduced to the KS when I saw the saya!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Jeff B wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:41 pm Brother-in-laws dog somehow got ahold of my KS saya. He almost was introduced to the KS when I saw the saya!
Lmaoooooo
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Kit Craft wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:19 am
KS sayas are friction fit. At least mine is. So it has to be possible. Clicks right in place and won't shake off.

Edit: I would surely look at aftermarket like suggested in this post though. While there is nothing wrong with the Masamoto Saya it isn't worth $80! Mine came with the knife at cost...Otherwise I'd have bought a cheap one. It is just ho wood with what appears to be burnt on Kanji and mine didn't even get impressed entirely.
Thanks Kit. Only Masamoto sayas I found for sale were quite pricey for me partly due to shipping and exchange rate. I expected to find a bunch of original sayas online for cheap since the old ones all came with sayas. I guess people just hung onto them or got rid of them by now. Or I'm bad at the internet. I know I'll be happy with a custom saya though.
slickmamba

Post by slickmamba »

is it possible to scrape off the excess glue without harming the handle?