When someone thins a blade

Proper user technique and care is essential to enjoying these high performance knives to their fullest while keeping edge damage to a minimum. Learn how here.
matchplay18

When someone thins a blade

Post by matchplay18 »

Just curious your looking at a knife for sale. You find out it has been thinned. How much does it affect the value of the knife? What are you looking for what should you avoid ? New to this I hope I am in the right section
J david

Re: When someone thins a blade

Post by J david »

Its hard to say. I've purchased knives that needed a little thinning out of the box, I've purchased knives that needed a lot of thinning out of the box, and many that needed no thinning. I am a little hesitant about those thinned by someone I don't know, but there are many members here whose work I would look at as value added as well as many professionals I trust. So, I guess my answer is, it depends. If you have some experience with thinning knives to improve performance, you might be less likely to be apprehensive. If you want to experience the original grind, avoid it, but the thinned knife might be better. Again, it depends.
matchplay18

Post by matchplay18 »

Thanks for reply . I suppose many things to consider how consistent or flat the blade. Would a Damascus blade pose any special problems. What about opposing the grind of knife. I guess maybe I wonder about the aesthetic tolerance vs form and function. I was thinking of having one of my knives thinned.
J david

Post by J david »

If you send it to a reputable craftsmen who specializes in this, you should be o.k. on resale with the right buyer. There are those who will avoid a thinned knife or even one that has been sharpened more than once or twice. Their loss as far as I'm concerned, but dont expect to recoup the cost of having it thinned when you sell it. You should expect to sell it at the standard used knife discount, depending on what it is.
dAviD

Post by dAviD »

I just ran across this.
I had a knife I knew needed thinning and didn't want to sell it without getting that done because while it would have been closer to the original I also didn't want to sell it without getting that done.
Also I wanted to see if after thinning it was going to stick around.

So I sent it to a trusted professional (Ken)
And paid for the work.
I didn't expect or add that to the cost of the sale because in my eyes it was needed maintenance.

Home collection of knives is slightly different and while I can see the appeal of a knife that's barely touched in this case it was a work knife.

So it's really a case by case type thing.
When in doubt, dont.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

If this is a knife your planning on putting up for sale, don't thin it. That alone will run off many potential buyers. And as already hinted to, it won't make the knife more valuable and is a cost that you won't likely recover. Your better off leaving it as is.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
OgerBash

Post by OgerBash »

If David is talking about the sugimoto clever he just sold, knowing that ken had done the thinning was the reason I purchased it. That and I've been wanting to try this cleaner for over 2 years and just couldn't justify the price for a cleaver.
matchplay18

Post by matchplay18 »

Wow thanks for all the great advice. I will say the people on this site very perceptive. For me once I got a taste of a laser I now think every blade I own should be thinner. So you have a good knife you just had to have couldn't live without it. Now it sits in the drawer wondering if it will ever see the cutting board again. In my mind should I sell it maybe get most of my money back since you could never tell your wife what you paid. Spend some money have it thinned and it still doesn't compare to a laser. Something to think about again thanks for all the great advice.
J david

Post by J david »

Lasers are great, but it is everything else that I find more interesting. I don't know your level of experience, but if you are fairly new, you might be well served to put the knife in question away for a while and come back to it later. Everybody wants a laser at first and everybody sould have one. It is experience that lets you enjoy the nuances of a non laser.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

J david wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:12 pm Lasers are great, but it is everything else that I find more interesting. I don't know your level of experience, but if you are fairly new, you might be well served to put the knife in question away for a while and come back to it later. Everybody wants a laser at first and everybody sould have one. It is experience that lets you enjoy the nuances of a non laser.
Heck, now I too want a laser. I've been hanging with a Tanaka B#2 all this while - and loving it. You make me curious about what it is that I'm missing.

As for the OP,
If you already have a laser, why thin another (damascus?) blade that was not a laser to begin with?
If this were me, I would either keep the knife as advised, sell it untouched, or - if I couldn't part with it - gift it to someone close, where you can visit it ;)
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
matchplay18

Post by matchplay18 »

Great advice. Sometimes you just need some solid feed back. I think I would be better off putting it back in the drawer or selling it in it's original condition . One of the Laser I have truly become enchanted with is a Konosuke HD2 240mm Gyuto and a Kohetsu Hap-40 240mm Gyuto I hope I spelled names correctly. They both feel very nimble, great release. For me I thing I would give the edge to the Kohetsu Hap-40 the edge retention truly lasting. I don't let it get dull I few strops on the Shapton 16,000
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Use those lasers for awhile and the pull out that other knife. You'll find over time that a knife with some beef to it is pretty nice to have around. I too started out with lasers and loved them. Years later I'm looking for that perfect brute. I love having the variety and now can appreciate the differences.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
matchplay18

Post by matchplay18 »

Jeff B good advice. I have many knives guessing about 25 mostly 210 or 240mm. Sometimes I will just grab one from the archives. And while holding the knife I think at one time I couldn't live without you. I will be culling the herd. Looking for a new home Kato 210mm AS never sharpened with original and custom handle. Anyone interested PM me