Need some advice with new knife care

Proper user technique and care is essential to enjoying these high performance knives to their fullest while keeping edge damage to a minimum. Learn how here.
LJeveG

Need some advice with new knife care

Post by LJeveG »

image.jpg
image.jpg
Hi. I’m hoping to get some experienced eyes and possibly some advice as I’m still very new to all of this. The above photos are of a carbon core stateless clad Nakiri, less than a week new. I’m not sure if the discolouration is rust or wood paint, as it was there when I opened the box.

At this stage the knife has has a light sharpening, lite usage, a good clean, drying wipes during usage and and oiling. I think I’m doing a good job caring for it. Any advice with general care or cleaning these off corners would be much appreciated.

If I posted this in the wrong spot please tell me
DarkStar

Re: Need some advice with new knife care

Post by DarkStar »

Your knife is a “Sandwich”. So across the top is a layer of carbon steel in the middle. This will darken with patina over time. As long as there is no red rust its likely fine.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Wipe it with a dry paper towel. If it's rust it will rub off onto the paper towel, if not it's patina.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Rosemary W Rivera

Post by Rosemary W Rivera »

avoid from putting your blade in the dishwasher. On the off chance that may spare you a considerable measure of time in the kitchen; notwithstanding, it's a simple method to make harm your blades. The high weight water can make your blades blast around with different utensils which could harm your edge. Likewise take note of that dishwashers are not a decent choice for wooden handles. It is constantly best to wash your blades by hand.
n64bomb

Post by n64bomb »

Wash your blades by hand only, and hand dry.
Horizonson

Post by Horizonson »

LJ, how is she performing for you?

My inexperienced eyes see a few potentially concerning things.

1. The primary grind seems to be very very short. (It looks like it goes from edge to full spine thickness in less than 10mm.) Seems like it would cause thicker carrots to break/split.

2. The primary grind appears "off". One side being higher than the other.

3. Looks like the Choil area could benefit from having their collective edges broke with a few hits of sandpaper.

Hopefully someone with more discerning eyes can confirm what I think I'm seeing. (Or tell me to shut up 🤣)
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Just curious, as it's been mentioned (in some of the Quick Look Product Videos) that sandpapering is one solution for smoothing out choils and spines on some new knives, which grit sandpaper would be best for this application? Does it depend on the HRC of the blade or is there a more general rule of thumb? Thanks.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Very hard knives will go through sandpaper very quickly. I have Diamond jewelers files that I use for relieving choils and spines.