Shumogashi

Proper user technique and care is essential to enjoying these high performance knives to their fullest while keeping edge damage to a minimum. Learn how here.
kjpfo287

Shumogashi

Post by kjpfo287 »

Was just curious is a shumogashi less or more reactive than a iron clad knife in general I know there both carbon but it's just for the sake of a discussion
mauichef

Re: Shumogashi

Post by mauichef »

I'm assuming you are referring to suminagashi or Damascus.
Damascus is a term that actually does not relate to real Damascus steel, but I digress. Suminagashi means Ink Swirl in Japanese.

There is no clear answer to the question of the advantages and disadvantages of this style of cladding.
To start with, Suminagashi can be stainless, etched, iron, etc.
It is not necessarily carbon steel and I would actually hazard a guess that more Damascus blades are stainless clad nowadays.
Also, a lot of damascus is created with 2 or more metals to form the pattern, clouding the issue even further.

But even if the jigane was made from the same steel it would still not be a simple answer as to which is more reactive. In my very limited experience they can be as reactive as any regular awase knife.
kjpfo287

Re: Shumogashi

Post by kjpfo287 »

Gotcha Maui I am looking at single bevel knives and was curious about the suminagashi I have a few single bevels and the core steel is usually fine it is the cladding that reacts more....and thought maybe the damascus/suminagashi would be nickel and iron or because of the process of forging that pattern it would make it easier to maintain....thanks again