How to dice a tomato (and how not to)

Proper user technique and care is essential to enjoying these high performance knives to their fullest while keeping edge damage to a minimum. Learn how here.
limpet

How to dice a tomato (and how not to)

Post by limpet »

Here are three videos showing different techniques for dicing tomatoes. The first two are a bit of a joke, imo. I prefer the third method, but of course you need a sharp blade. I would like to use this as an example of how a sharp knife or a not so sharp knife can affect technique. If anyone knows a better technique, please share.

So, first the two not very impressive techniques.

Then, this is pretty much what I do, except the edge scraping. The onion technique.

limpet

Re: How to dice a tomato (and how not to)

Post by limpet »

And if you’re in a hurry...

jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

If you plan on taking the seeds and other guts out, I typically stem, quarter, use the tip to get the mid section, utilize tip draws or push cuts for uniform strips from the quarters, line up the strips, and push cut through for the final dice. If precision isn’t as necessary and I want the seeds, video 3 and 4 are what I use.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Those first two videos are from your typical YouTube idiots that think they know something.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

I do the onion with tomatoes, but I have seen many with worse technique than the first two. But it's kind of like watching most people drive for me - because you know how to do something well does not mean others are idiots - just means they have not learned the same skills as you. Catching a slide at 160+ is what you chefs do with knives - the rest of us try to emulate you. Take pride in your skills, but don't belittle others. My brother's knives are dull, he does not know how to cut things well, but I love him.
rayl1234

Post by rayl1234 »

Isn't the first one the same as the onion, just on its side?
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

lsboogy wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:14 am I do the onion with tomatoes, but I have seen many with worse technique than the first two. But it's kind of like watching most people drive for me - because you know how to do something well does not mean others are idiots - just means they have not learned the same skills as you. Catching a slide at 160+ is what you chefs do with knives - the rest of us try to emulate you. Take pride in your skills, but don't belittle others. My brother's knives are dull, he does not know how to cut things well, but I love him.
Very true but those that don't have the skill should not be making How-To videos....
I consider myself much more skilled than many of those making How-To videos but don't see myself as skilled enough to make How-To videos. Make sense? :?
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

The primary difference in the first and third video, aside from the halving, is the more efficient means of dicing the final pieces. Continuing with “the onion” strategy vs attacking each piece individually completes the entire tomato noticeably quicker. It may not seem like much with a single tomato, but applying the concept to a case of tomatoes adds up quick. Another reason why the third and fourth video are more impressive is there is less need for a sawing motion vs a long fluid stroke. You can see by the amount of lost fluid on the board in the first video and the amount of struggle to adequately finish the final pieces that edge quality is merely adequate for the task opposed to being noticeably sharper for cleaner, quicker cuts. Even though there is sawing and a hungry hungry hippo motion used in the third video, the cleanliness of the board speaks volumes for edge quality.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Jeff B wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:38 pm
lsboogy wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:14 am I do the onion with tomatoes, but I have seen many with worse technique than the first two. But it's kind of like watching most people drive for me - because you know how to do something well does not mean others are idiots - just means they have not learned the same skills as you. Catching a slide at 160+ is what you chefs do with knives - the rest of us try to emulate you. Take pride in your skills, but don't belittle others. My brother's knives are dull, he does not know how to cut things well, but I love him.
Very true but those that don't have the skill should not be making How-To videos....
I consider myself much more skilled than many of those making How-To videos but don't see myself as skilled enough to make How-To videos. Make sense? :?
Very much understood. I learn from my chef buddies as much as I can, and they never call me an idiot because my skills are not on par with theirs. I can't even keep up with a line cook most of the time, and when I watch Rick or Jim it seems like they are not even trying but stuff happens so fast it amazes me. I'm a (pretty darn good) home cook with good knife skills and have a great time using and learning. I did driving instruction at Skip Barber for a few summers (when I was young I was a pretty good driver) and the people who showed up usually were unable to handle anything well before they started, but almost invariably wound up able to do things with a car very few others can. I see the point about the videos, but if most of the people I know could even do that, it would amaze me. You folk live in a rarified world of fine sharp instruments and great skill with them. Most of us regular folk can barely cut a carrot. I do wish that people could all take the time to learn to use a knife, but I'm probably one of only a few "civilians" who can matchstick a zucchini without looking at the thing. My brother would take a couple minutes to dice a tomato and it would have chunks that varied by more than a factor of 2.

And just for kicks, I can do limpets video pretty well - and about as fast. Most of my skills have been the result of learning from others.
limpet

Post by limpet »

@jmcnelly85: Thanks for your feedback and explanations.

Here’s another technique when the core is not needed. Will Cook’s videos are always fun to watch.

jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

I’ve never though of a barrel cut on a tomato... I’m definitely going to use that next time. Thanks for sharing that one.
old onion

Post by old onion »

Love the apron.That's class.
salemj

Post by salemj »

limpet wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:47 pm And if you’re in a hurry...

Boy, I'd love to know what the actual edge is on that knife. Compared to the Will Cook video, this knife is about 1000% better for actually cutting the tomato (and the tomatoes here also appear to be much more ripe, too). There isn't even a hint of skin popping or resistance in the first video, but it is all over the Cook video, and this despite his rather aggressive use of slice. I can only assume it is a Victorinox at 8-1k that's been thinned, but who knows! Perhaps a professional chef recognizes it, since it is likely a stock edge from the supplier or rotation sharpener.
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
RickR

Post by RickR »

limpet wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:27 pm @jmcnelly85: Thanks for your feedback and explanations.

Here’s another technique when the core is not needed. Will Cook’s videos are always fun to watch.

Tried this tonight and it worked very well. Thanks for posting the video!
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

^^ Need to try and remember to give that a try. ^^
marlinspike

Post by marlinspike »

Anybody who feeds you the seeds and juice sac does not care what he feeds you.
old onion

Post by old onion »

what happened to the videos? They are gone.
rayl1234

Post by rayl1234 »

old onion wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:29 am what happened to the videos? They are gone.
Still there for me. Is your browser blocking them? Chrome detects them as unsafe and I have to click "load unsafe scripts".
old onion

Post by old onion »

rayl1234 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:25 am
old onion wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:29 am what happened to the videos? They are gone.
Still there for me. Is your browser blocking them? Chrome detects them as unsafe and I have to click "load unsafe scripts".
I don't know.I was just watching the videos the other day and now they are not even there.
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

Cooking for flavor, keep the seeds, cooking for smoothness or appearance, ditch the seeds.