How to dice a tomato (and how not to)

Proper user technique and care is essential to enjoying these high performance knives to their fullest while keeping edge damage to a minimum. Learn how here.
lsboogy

Re: How to dice a tomato (and how not to)

Post by lsboogy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:13 pm

Sounds like southern versus northern Italy battle. I use seeds and the jelly in my sauce. So did Sophia Loren - I'm not a show cook, but my experiments with just pulp have always given me a sauce that was too thick and lacked the right flavor. Dice some tomatoes and an onion, cook the onion in olive oil over low heat with a bit of anchovy salt and pepper till clear, add some paper thin garlic and a little chili and cook for anothe minute or two, add tomatoes and oregano and turn heat up a little and bring sauce to boil. Simmer to taste and consistency, add chiffonauded basil and serve. Simple, quick and fabulous

Bob Z

Post by Bob Z » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:38 pm

Thats my kind of sauce too, always start with some diced onion then bit later garlic so it doesnt get too brown then add a can of redicuts or diced tomatoes and eventually basil/oregano later. but i do like some grated parm or romano in mine. Lately i have been using the canned san maranzo tomatoes and wow much better flavor!

old onion

Post by old onion » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:15 am

rayl1234 wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:25 am
old onion wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:29 am
what happened to the videos? They are gone.
Still there for me. Is your browser blocking them? Chrome detects them as unsafe and I have to click "load unsafe scripts".
Been trying to look for something so that I can fix the problem but to no avail.

old onion

Post by old onion » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:22 am

lsboogy wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:13 pm
Sounds like southern versus northern Italy battle. I use seeds and the jelly in my sauce. So did Sophia Loren - I'm not a show cook, but my experiments with just pulp have always given me a sauce that was too thick and lacked the right flavor. Dice some tomatoes and an onion, cook the onion in olive oil over low heat with a bit of anchovy salt and pepper till clear, add some paper thin garlic and a little chili and cook for anothe minute or two, add tomatoes and oregano and turn heat up a little and bring sauce to boil. Simmer to taste and consistency, add chiffonauded basil and serve. Simple, quick and fabulous
I think I know what I am making today. :)

marlinspike

Post by marlinspike » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:28 pm

jmcnelly85 wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:27 am
Cooking for flavor, keep the seeds, cooking for smoothness or appearance, ditch the seeds.
I know people say the guts are supposed to make the tomato more savory, but to me it just tastes worse. Maybe I'm alone in that, but at any rate you can strain out the seeds but keep the gel and you'll get the flavor without the seeds themselves if you like it.
lsboogy wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:13 pm
Change the olive oil to some oil and some butter, it comes out with a nicer texture. If making pasta sauce, I guess I would leave the guts in, but to be honest I buy canned tomatoes for sauce - fresh tomatoes in the store have no flavor and the weather here means we just get 2 batches from tomato plants.

lsboogy

Post by lsboogy » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:15 pm

Find some heirloom tomatoes (saucing variety) and grow them. I have two varieties in my crop that are both fabulous and I get 6-8 small to medium tomatoes a day.

marlinspike

Post by marlinspike » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:10 am

lsboogy wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:15 pm
Find some heirloom tomatoes (saucing variety) and grow them. I have two varieties in my crop that are both fabulous and I get 6-8 small to medium tomatoes a day.
The problem is around here most of the growing season is actually too hot for tomatoes. Tomatoes won't set fruit over 90F, and most of the growing season here is above 90F because of how short spring is here. You get a small crop in the spring before it gets too hot to set fruit, and then you have to wait until October to get another set.