How to sharpen a single bevel knife.

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

How to sharpen a single bevel knife.

Post by ChefKnivesToGo » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:19 am

I'm sure many of you have seen this before but if you're new to sharpening and want to take a shot at a Yanagi or other single bevel knives this is how it's done. My friend Ivan is a badass sharpener and you'll learn a lot by investing 5 minutes and watching this. Ivan lives and works in Japan and he works for Konosuke. He used to work for Toshu when he lived it Canada. He's a valuable employee for Kosuke since he can do finish sharpening work like you see here and also deal with issues and repair.

He'll be embarrassed that I plugged him here but I don't care. :)

Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com

slobound

Re: How to sharpen a single bevel knife.

Post by slobound » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:45 am

WOW, that's impressive! Definitely helpful for me personally as I prepare to work on a couple single bevel knives. The timing couldn't have been better! Thanks Mark & Ivan!
-- Garrick

Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:23 pm

Ivan is a man that I’d truly like to meet. I’ve pestered him several times with questions about single bevel sharpening and he always replies with exceptional answers. If I got to go to Japan but but I could only meet one person, it would be Ivan.

ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:54 pm

And he knows English. ;)
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo

Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:02 pm

Yeah I’ve seen this video before. Unfortunately, my results don’t turn out as nice haha. But something to aspire to I suppose

Thin Man

Post by Thin Man » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:11 am

Very interesting video. Thanks for posting it, Mark!

And thanks for the background info.

ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:17 pm

A couple comments on his technique and progression.

If you notice he's doing the first sharpening on this knife and they sometimes call this "opening" the knife. Basically, he's flattening the blade road and making it pretty at the same time. It's a lot of work to grind away the high and low spots on the blade road the first time you hit the stones. Many pros will just ignore them and get the knife sharp and gradually they will be removed by continual sharpening. He removes the handle because it's easier to get at the heel of the knife without a handle attached and he can keep the scratch pattern running in the same diagonal direction. This is important later when the final finish is done.

Also, see how tight his progression is. This is the same approach you would use to do a mirror finish but here he's finishing the knife with a nice hakka stone that imparts that beautiful cloudy finish that many of us like. To do a mirror you could ditch the hakka and keep moving up with good synthetics instead.

Also, he didn't show this but I'm sure he did a couple strokes on the back side at the end to deburr the edge.

If you have any questions for him please post them and I'll see if I can drag him over to discuss the video with you guys.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo

datster

Post by datster » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:26 pm

ChefKnivesToGo wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:17 pm
Also, he didn't show this but I'm sure he did a couple strokes on the back side at the end to deburr the edge.

If you have any questions for him please post them and I'll see if I can drag him over to discuss the video with you guys.
Mark, thanks so much for this!
Well, I guess this gives us a whole 'nother level to aspire to, LOL!

I watched it and wondered about the back side, so then I watched it like 3 more times before I caught it. I know, I'm a nerd! ;)

Deburr back side:
On wood 2:13
On stone 2:34
On stone 2:50

ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:25 pm

I missed the wood block!

Also, look at how much mud he's using on the stones. If you want to get a good finish, muddy stones are where it's at. The Hakka is prized for the creamy mud it produces which in turn puts that nice finish on the blade.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo

shevitz

Post by shevitz » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:52 pm

I'm curious about the microbevel. He does seem to put one on. I'm struggling with whether to do this myself. In principle I like the idea of a zero grind, but I recently sharpened my Young Samarai yanagiba to a zero grind. It took a few hours to get it flat. (I didn't want to go as course as an atoma 140 to make sure I didn't screw anything up.) I got an edge I was happy with. I was slicing some steak for my son that was supposed to have no bones in it, and sure enough there was a small bone hidden and it chipped my edge. Now I feel like I have to start over and spend a few more hours. I'm tempted to put a microbevel on just so I won't have to deal with this again.

thoughts?

Qapla'

Post by Qapla' » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:54 pm

Link please? I don't see anything...

Jason B.

Post by Jason B. » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:18 pm

I like seeing other sharpeners progressions and his is very similar to mine minus the natural stones. I use the SG 120, SG220, NP400, Kohetsu 800 & 2k then I finish with the Suehiro Cerax 6k. Sometimes I will trade out the Kohetsu for a 1k Naniwa Gouken Kurouto and NP3000.

Yes, he used a microbevel. It's been my experience that without a microbevel the yanagi or any other single bevel traditional blade will simply not last. I typically start the microbevel on the 1k stone with just a few strokes to keep it small and address it as needed as I progress higher in grit.

Sharpening the backside of a single bevel knife is very important, you don't need to do a lot of work to it but it needs to have the same scratch pattern as the front side. If you don't give it this attention then you are just sharpening one side of the knife...

Jason B.

Post by Jason B. » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:25 pm

I was just looking over his videos and I think this one really shows Sharpening a yanagi without all the blade road polishing.