Correct me if I’m wrong. Switch Hands

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
orezeno

Re: Correct me if I’m wrong. Switch Hands

Post by orezeno » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:40 am

Peter Nowlan's 4 P's ~ Passion, Patience, Persistence and Practice.
Since this is Peter's thread, I'd like to point out that he exhibits another important quality that begins with 'P'; Perception. Peter perceived that each side of the knife has a different appearance, even though his sharpness results are where he wants them to be. His willingness to act on this perception seems to be the reason for this thread.
Greg

Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:13 am

Thank you Greg. It took a long time, a few years for my brain to respond to my perception though. It seems so simple now, scratch patterns, things I dream about sometimes, it just didn’t click in that that was the reason the left side looked different than the right side.
As for 10,000, I’m well beyond that but would definitely not consider myself a Master sharpener. I’d have to go to Japan and qualify to be an apprentice to a Master and then work under his guidance for many years. Can I get knives sharp, yes but we can all do that. I think of it as being on different stages of the journey, I may be a little ahead of some but well behind many. It doesn’t matter to me a bit, I still get excited about every knife I pick up and that’s what keeps me moving forward on the journey. I hope there is no end.

As for switching hands, I’m quite comfortable with it now so it doesn’t take that long, 30 knives or so for me to get to a point where I’m seeing a difference and it not feeling completely awkward.

orezeno

Post by orezeno » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:28 pm

Peter Nowlan wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:13 am
Can I get knives sharp, yes but we can all do that. I think of it as being on different stages of the journey, I may be a little ahead of some but well behind many. It doesn’t matter to me a bit, I still get excited about every knife I pick up and that’s what keeps me moving forward on the journey. I hope there is no end.
Excellent statement! I could not agree more.
Greg