Polishing, Kasumi Finish & Etching

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
User avatar
Jeff B
Posts: 11667
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:59 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Polishing, Kasumi Finish & Etching

Post by Jeff B » Wed May 15, 2019 12:31 am

Very cool Dan!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.

User avatar
pd7077
Posts: 956
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:02 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA

Re: Polishing, Kasumi Finish & Etching

Post by pd7077 » Wed May 15, 2019 7:55 am

Altadan wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 11:33 pm
Tonight, on a complete whim, I finally decided to put my hands to this etching business. I turned to Steve with a few queries, all of which he very kindly answered, to my huge benefit.

In brief, I took my Tanaka B#2 from a patina'd mirror, to a 500 grit polish, followed by 800, and then dipped it in a 10% FeCl solution for three sessions of about 5-7 minutes each.
I proudly post them here in tribute to Steve who both inspired and encouraged the process :D :mrgreen:
Nice work, Dan! Welcome to the dark side 😉

Don’t forget to scrub off the oxides after each round of etching. I do it using 0000 steel wool and my neutralizing solution. After neutralizing, I’ll usually do a few passes using the last grit (or one step finer) I used prior to etching. This should help you to get a cleaner and more uniform etch. Great results for your first attempt man. It definitely looks better than my first go at it!!!
--- Steve

User avatar
Altadan
Posts: 1312
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:15 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Polishing, Kasumi Finish & Etching

Post by Altadan » Wed May 15, 2019 9:19 am

pd7077 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 7:55 am
Altadan wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 11:33 pm
Tonight, on a complete whim, I finally decided to put my hands to this etching business. I turned to Steve with a few queries, all of which he very kindly answered, to my huge benefit.

In brief, I took my Tanaka B#2 from a patina'd mirror, to a 500 grit polish, followed by 800, and then dipped it in a 10% FeCl solution for three sessions of about 5-7 minutes each.
I proudly post them here in tribute to Steve who both inspired and encouraged the process :D :mrgreen:
Nice work, Dan! Welcome to the dark side 😉

Don’t forget to scrub off the oxides after each round of etching. I do it using 0000 steel wool and my neutralizing solution. After neutralizing, I’ll usually do a few passes using the last grit (or one step finer) I used prior to etching. This should help you to get a cleaner and more uniform etch. Great results for your first attempt man. It definitely looks better than my first go at it!!!
Thanks so much for the kind words. Getting better results than you did on your first attempt must have something to do with having you as a guide ;)
Once I experience the new polish and its effect on stickage (which was severe with the mirror polish) I'll start thinking about a sequel to last night's first attempt 8-)

nakneker
Posts: 1930
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:37 am
Location: Taylor, Az

Re: Polishing, Kasumi Finish & Etching

Post by nakneker » Wed May 15, 2019 12:04 pm

Altadan wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 11:33 pm
Tonight, on a complete whim, I finally decided to put my hands to this etching business. I turned to Steve with a few queries, all of which he very kindly answered, to my huge benefit.

In brief, I took my Tanaka B#2 from a patina'd mirror, to a 500 grit polish, followed by 800, and then dipped it in a 10% FeCl solution for three sessions of about 5-7 minutes each.
I proudly post them here in tribute to Steve who both inspired and encouraged the process :D :mrgreen:
~
[Click for full resolution]

[Tanaka Blue#2 ETCH]-0372.jpg[Tanaka Blue#2 ETCH]-0374.jpg[Tanaka Blue#2 ETCH]-0383.jpg[Tanaka Blue#2 ETCH]-0382.jpg
Whoa, check that out. Nicely done Dan!
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”

User avatar
Drewski
Posts: 993
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:01 am
Location: Manitoba, Canada

Re: Polishing, Kasumi Finish & Etching

Post by Drewski » Wed May 15, 2019 2:35 pm

Altadan wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 11:33 pm
Tonight, on a complete whim, I finally decided to put my hands to this etching business. I turned to Steve with a few queries, all of which he very kindly answered, to my huge benefit.

In brief, I took my Tanaka B#2 from a patina'd mirror, to a 500 grit polish, followed by 800, and then dipped it in a 10% FeCl solution for three sessions of about 5-7 minutes each.
I proudly post them here in tribute to Steve who both inspired and encouraged the process :D :mrgreen:
~
Awesome!

User avatar
Altadan
Posts: 1312
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:15 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Polishing, Kasumi Finish & Etching

Post by Altadan » Fri May 17, 2019 12:05 am

Thanks guys for the kind words.

Though really cool looking, it came out a little blotchy (though not in bad way), and with more friction than I'd care for; kinda reminiscent of the Yoshimi Kato R2, as some of you may recall from the passaround.

In some ways, etching is as easy as anything. But truly truly I say unto you, Steve makes this stuff look easy!
The pictures he posts - composition, lighting, and general photography #skillz aside - reflect highly refined work, and lots of attention to detail!

To remedy the friction I applied a 1200 grit to it, and... then re-etched it again, with a weaker solution, and only for 6 minutes, to get some contrast (blotches came out different, and not as cool :( ). We'll see how she behaves on onions tomorrow.

Question:
with etched steel/iron, what should I expect by way of patina from regular kitchen work?
Thanks!

User avatar
pd7077
Posts: 956
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:02 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA

Re: Polishing, Kasumi Finish & Etching

Post by pd7077 » Fri May 17, 2019 10:06 am

Altadan wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 12:05 am
Thanks guys for the kind words.

Though really cool looking, it came out a little blotchy (though not in bad way), and with more friction than I'd care for; kinda reminiscent of the Yoshimi Kato R2, as some of you may recall from the passaround.

In some ways, etching is as easy as anything. But truly truly I say unto you, Steve makes this stuff look easy!
The pictures he posts - composition, lighting, and general photography #skillz aside - reflect highly refined work, and lots of attention to detail!

To remedy the friction I applied a 1200 grit to it, and... then re-etched it again, with a weaker solution, and only for 6 minutes, to get some contrast (blotches came out different, and not as cool :( ). We'll see how she behaves on onions tomorrow.

Question:
with etched steel/iron, what should I expect by way of patina from regular kitchen work?
Thanks!
I’ve only etched stainless clad knives, but my brain tells me that there should be significantly less reactivity with etched iron cladding. Ferric chloride is a salt, but when dissolved in water it becomes a fairly strong acid. In simple terms (mainly because I forgot a lot of my chemistry), etching is basically forcing a patina.

In terms of the texture and friction, I’m not sure if the Yoshimi Kato SG2 texture was a result of etching or sandblasting. Maybe it’s both? I remember that knife being very grabby, and it was my only real complaint with that passaround knife. I have found that doing multiple shorter etches will minimize getting that type of texture when etching. I always make sure to scrub off the oxides while neutralizing, and then I will even polish it back a little before going back into the etch. The knife below was finished at 800 grit. I believe that I did a total of five 3-5min etches, and I polished back with 6um diamond emulsion after neutralizing. The surface is super smooth with zero texture. If anything, I think there’s a bit too much shine, but I’m leaving it as is for now.

Image
--- Steve

User avatar
Jeff B
Posts: 11667
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:59 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Polishing, Kasumi Finish & Etching

Post by Jeff B » Fri May 17, 2019 5:36 pm

pd7077 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 10:06 am
...I polished back with 6um diamond emulsion after neutralizing...
I could use some emulsions at 6um+. Shoot me a PM on what you use.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.

Huntdad
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:46 pm

Re: Polishing, Kasumi Finish & Etching

Post by Huntdad » Sat May 25, 2019 11:24 pm

Great thread!

User avatar
pd7077
Posts: 956
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:02 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA

Re: Polishing, Kasumi Finish & Etching

Post by pd7077 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:03 pm

I took some time this weekend to work on one of my own knives...a Watanabe Kintaro Ame W#2 cleaver. I had a suspicion that there was a raindrop pattern hiding in there so I did a quick & dirty kasumi polish on it. In truth, it wasn’t very quick. I used 8 different fingerstones on it because I was not sure how the cladding would react to the stones. In the end, I found what I was looking for...

Image
Image
Image
Image

Instagram link (thanks to Ben) for a short video I took:
Image

Now that I know what’s there, it’s time to get a proper polish on it.
--- Steve

nakneker
Posts: 1930
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:37 am
Location: Taylor, Az

Re: Polishing, Kasumi Finish & Etching

Post by nakneker » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:27 am

Well that’s pretty dang cool, nice hunch you had. Makes me wonder what my Wat cleaver is hiding 🤔
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”

User avatar
pd7077
Posts: 956
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:02 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA

Re: Polishing, Kasumi Finish & Etching

Post by pd7077 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:49 am

Life has been busy so it’s been a while since I’ve been able to sit down and do a bit of polishing. I got a few new stones in, and I had a bit of downtime over the weekend so I decided to test them out on a kiridashi that a buddy gave me. The bevel was already pristine so I figured that it would be a good canvas to test out the stones on. The differences are very subtle, but it was a fun 30min of zen.

Takinohara Aizu
Image

Iromono (Unknown Mine)
Image

Aiiwatani Tomae
Image

Ohira Renge Suita
Image

Yaginoshima Suita
Image
--- Steve

gladius
Posts: 4230
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:59 pm

Re: Polishing, Kasumi Finish & Etching

Post by gladius » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:16 am

Nice. Which stone did you like best?

User avatar
pd7077
Posts: 956
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:02 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA

Re: Polishing, Kasumi Finish & Etching

Post by pd7077 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:29 am

In terms of feel, the iromono and tomae were probably my favorites. There’s a bit of overlap between the two, but I would say the that tomae is a tad harder and finer. In terms of the kasumi, I would have to give it to the Yagi suita. It’s not quite as hard as the Ohira, but it’s finer and gave a bit more detail/brightness to the suminagashi layers.
--- Steve

arthurfowler
Posts: 536
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:33 am
Location: Berkshire UK

Re: Polishing, Kasumi Finish & Etching

Post by arthurfowler » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:52 am

Really nice and fascinating as always Steve.

nakneker
Posts: 1930
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:37 am
Location: Taylor, Az

Re: Polishing, Kasumi Finish & Etching

Post by nakneker » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:35 pm

Nice to see an update. One of the best threads on here. Maybe someone should start a j nat thread.

Show us your new knife

Show us your new handle

And show us your new J nat!
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”

salemj
Posts: 2954
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:27 pm
Location: Victoria, BC

Re: Polishing, Kasumi Finish & Etching

Post by salemj » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:14 pm

pd7077 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:49 am
Life has been busy so it’s been a while since I’ve been able to sit down and do a bit of polishing. I got a few new stones in, and I had a bit of downtime over the weekend so I decided to test them out on a kiridashi that a buddy gave me. The bevel was already pristine so I figured that it would be a good canvas to test out the stones on. The differences are very subtle, but it was a fun 30min of zen.
Oh my goodness. Beauty at its most beautiful!
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.

arthurfowler
Posts: 536
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:33 am
Location: Berkshire UK

Re: Polishing, Kasumi Finish & Etching

Post by arthurfowler » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:42 pm

nakneker wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:35 pm
Nice to see an update. One of the best threads on here. Maybe someone should start a j nat thread.

Show us your new knife

Show us your new handle

And show us your new J nat!
+1

User avatar
lsboogy
Posts: 1093
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:23 pm
Location: Minneapolis

Re: Polishing, Kasumi Finish & Etching

Post by lsboogy » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:20 pm

Beautiful, all I can say


Post Reply