Cerax 5k vs Rika 5k stone

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
Insnekamkze86

Cerax 5k vs Rika 5k stone

Post by Insnekamkze86 »

Hello there I was wondering if you guys and gals could help me out on deciding between these two stones, the cerax 5k and the Rika 5k.
After using a buddies cerax and Rika stones for a week. I'm sold on the cerax stone for soaking. But not sold on the Rika due to there being a cerax in the same grit size.
Does anyone have experience with both stones and can recommend one over the other for a 5k stone, or should I just get a Rika 5k to go along with a cerax 1k for my new stone combo setup.
Cigarguy

Re: Cerax 5k vs Rika 5k stone

Post by Cigarguy »

Since you've used both, pick the one you like best.

As for me I love the feel of the Rika. I found the Cerax 5K to be not as nice but the Cerax is still a very nice stone. Personal preference really.
gladius

Post by gladius »

I have a Ceramic 6k (is there a 5k?) and Rika 5k and prefer the Rika 5k due to feel and final edge it produces. Both cut fast and polish well but I find the 5k edge keener and is just a joy to use.
Insnekamkze86

Post by Insnekamkze86 »

Well definitely picking up a cerax 1k but not sure about a 5k stone why I was asking about the cerax 5k vs the Rika 5k. I do know that the Rika is super smooth and cuts very fast and has a quick soak time. For which I do not know of any of that info for the cerax 5k. But a seller on Amazon says the main difference is the product of White alundum in the stones, which cerax has more of which is less binder otherwise can't get a clear answer on the subject.
Cigarguy

Post by Cigarguy »

https://www.suehiro-toishi.com/en/cerax ... x/5050-re/
https://www.suehiro-toishi.com/en/gyomu/5000/

These were the 2 stones I borrowed from a friend and used for a few weeks. Might be the same stones but to me they felt slightly different. Slight difference in weight. Ended up getting a Rika.
Insnekamkze86

Post by Insnekamkze86 »

They're the same stones that I'm asking about the cerax 5k and Rika 5k stones why did you pick the Rika over the cerax 5k stone?
salemj

Post by salemj »

Insnekamkze86 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:21 pm Well definitely picking up a cerax 1k but not sure about a 5k stone why I was asking about the cerax 5k vs the Rika 5k. I do know that the Rika is super smooth and cuts very fast and has a quick soak time. For which I do not know of any of that info for the cerax 5k. But a seller on Amazon says the main difference is the product of White alundum in the stones, which cerax has more of which is less binder otherwise can't get a clear answer on the subject.
Interesting. Maybe Gladius will chime in with more, but I have to say that my Rika is one of my longest soaking stones. I find it works best with a long soak, and then it still loves water...it is certainly nothing like my splash and go stones, and it is also nothing like any natural finishers I've used. I think it produces a nice edge, but it takes a longer warm up and it feels a bit high maintenance to me in that regard and in the need to clean and flatten it often (it seems to load quickly as well). That is not to say it is a bad stone, but more to comment that I don't think of it is as quick splash and go (nor do I think of it as super smooth—it feels like more of a porous stone that has a strong "suck" with the blade when you hit the bevel, at least to me).
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
Insnekamkze86

Post by Insnekamkze86 »

I don't get any of that from the Rika 5k stone that was sent me for a week. I soak it for 30 to 40 mins same as the cerax. And after that it seems fine and doesn't really need any more water. And is very smooth feeling almost like glass but cuts really fast. But I've notice the cerax is only a little bit slower but not by much. But definitely softer than a cerax stone for sure and lighter too. I kind of like the feedback from the cerax than the Rika but both very nice stones. Just was wondering about the 6k cerax stone.

On another note how do the suehiro stones compare to a shapton glass? So far I really like the suehiro but don't like the 30 minute soak time why I'm asking.
gladius

Post by gladius »

salemj wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:10 pm Interesting. Maybe Gladius will chime in with more, but I have to say that my Rika is one of my longest soaking stones. I find it works best with a long soak, and then it still loves water...it is certainly nothing like my splash and go stones, and it is also nothing like any natural finishers I've used. I think it produces a nice edge, but it takes a longer warm up and it feels a bit high maintenance to me in that regard and in the need to clean and flatten it often (it seems to load quickly as well). That is not to say it is a bad stone, but more to comment that I don't think of it is as quick splash and go (nor do I think of it as super smooth—it feels like more of a porous stone that has a strong "suck" with the blade when you hit the bevel, at least to me).
---
I certainly wouldn't call the Rika 5k a quick soaker but I do not soak for long: maybe ten minutes. I place in water when I start a session and when I am ready for it, it has slowed absorbing water enough to use. It might need a splash during use but it is fast enough to be done with quickly. It does load but is still very usable. It has a strong draw (suck) on the steel creating that very keen edge, the loading is not negative where it limits cutting ability but actually aids in polishing (like the Superstones).

Compare below the Rika 5k, Superstone 5k & the Cerax 6k after use to finish three different carbons. All immediately produce swarf, the Rika & Cerax soaked for about 5 minutes and the Superstone soaked less than a minute. Also the stones after a cleaning with the Naniwa "Nagura" - none of the three ever flattened.

Rika 5k

Naniwa SS 5k

Cerax 6k

Naniwa Nagura
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

I have the Cerax 6000 and prefer it to the Rika 5k. The Rika feels better - smooth, a touch creamy - but mine seemed to produce an edge closer to 3-4K than 5k. The Cerax is harder but I get a sharper edge with it.

Perhaps I’ll have to give the Rika another shot.
Jeffry B
old onion

Post by old onion »

I do not have nor have I ever had a Cerax 6000 but I do have the Rika 5k and as far as I am concerned, I see no reason for me to look further. To me, it is just that good. It gives me the feel and the edge that I prefer.
Insnekamkze86

Post by Insnekamkze86 »

The Rika I'm able to get cleaner than the one pictured above with a nagura n water. I can get a cerax 1k and 5k for 99 and a cerax 1k and a Rika 5k for 89. Is there any difference between the 10 dollars that I would notice or am being crazy to look for a different combo than the 1k cerax and 5k Rika. It just seems like more people have or use the Rika more than the cerax at the 5,6,or 8k ranges. Thanks for the help aagin
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

The Rika has been around for MANY years, the Cerax only a few. This is the biggest reason you see and hear so much more about the Rika. The Rika is a slightly coarser 5k than the Cerax but both are good stones and I think you'll be happy with either.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Insnekamkze86

Post by Insnekamkze86 »

Okay thanks for the info I was lent the Rika 5k along with a cerax 1k to try before buying and I really like them but was curious about the 5k cerax before buying a couple of suehiro stones.
Cigarguy

Post by Cigarguy »

It's difficult, almost impossible, to answer your question. For $10 difference get the stone that is best for your style of sharpening. Only you know your style of sharpening. Also there is a difference between the 2 stones but not that much different. It's like asking which shade of dark blue do we think you would like. You'll be happy with either one.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

I’ve had both stones, still do. I like the Cerax but they are very close in almost every way. I think the Cerax has better feedback, a bit quicker IMO. But as soon as I say that someone else with beg to differ. There is no wrong choice.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
Insnekamkze86

Post by Insnekamkze86 »

I am asking so I don't buy stuff twice again since my dalstrong 1k and 6k stones are kind of junk and wish I would went with the suehiro in the first place. Like I said cerax 1k for sure just didn't know if Rika was better than the 5k cerax or if I was just pulling hairs between the two and it doesn't really matter. Thanks for the help
Andrixxx942

Post by Andrixxx942 »

I prefear rika
Insnekamkze86

Post by Insnekamkze86 »

Okay thank you why do you prefer the Rika more. Just trying to get all the info I can get before I make a decision thanks
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Definitely splitting hairs and overthinking.

Best I can say is that the Cerax gives the knife an edge closer to its listed grit than the Rika, but Suehiro stones are excellent. You will like either. If you were talking a Cerax 6000, different story. But two 5k Suehiro stones are going to be close.
Jeffry B