before and after Gihei Blue#2

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
slensgra

before and after Gihei Blue#2

Post by slensgra »

I bought a Gihei B#2 gyuto 240 which is a great knife, but I wasn't falling in love with it. The applied pebble finish on the blade road wasn't to my taste. Inspired by posts on this forum, I decided to try to "mod" it to look more "natural".

Before:
gehei_before_small2.png
After:
gihei_after.png
It's far from perfect, and I learned a couple of lessons, but it was a fun project. Lacking fancy tools and equipment, I used wet/dry sandpaper up to 2000 grit followed by some automotive rubbing compound on a piece of heavy felt. It left the margin between the nashiji finish and the blade road looking better to me. So anyway, thanks for the inspiration folks.

Re: before and after Gihei Blue#2

Post by Seattle_Ben »

Looks nice!
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I'm not a fan of bead blasting either.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

Nice work man....now hit that bad boy with some fingerstones! Shoot me a PM if you don’t have any. I’ll send you a few pieces. I have a little left over from the last time I prepped some.
--- Steve
slensgra

Post by slensgra »

Thanks for the kind comments y'all. @ Steve, I'm not sure I could match the great results you shared on your polishing, kasumi and etching thread. Now *that* was nice work!

Post by pd7077 »

slensgra wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:03 pm Thanks for the kind comments y'all. @ Steve, I'm not sure I could match the great results you shared on your polishing, kasumi and etching thread. Now *that* was nice work!
We all gotta start somewhere. It’s fun stuff so just let me know if you want a few pieces to play around with 👍🏻
--- Steve