Suehiro Cerax vs Rika stones.

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
Insnekamkze86

Re: Suehiro Cerax vs Rika stones.

Post by Insnekamkze86 »

Since we're talking about 1k stones now how is the big red brick 1k stone that i believe is a Imaishi for sharpening? Since I'm going to be using at the house and as a house stone for work I like the brick sized stones, which I ve been looking at now instead.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

I e got a big red brick and a Nubatama 1200. I use both, the Nubatama is a better stone, but the big red brick is great. Both are 2" thick stones. They are replacements for an old Kikuichi 1K stone (also a bug red brick) that I had for 30 years - would still be using it if the cats had not decided it needed a trip to the kitchen floor. A big red brick will last a home sharpener many lifetimes. Insne, you seem very unsure about things. You will never know how these things perform until you try them. I still say get a Cerax combo and try it- or get a 1K red brick and try it. There is no way most of us can find you a perfect stone - I don't have any in my dozens of stones, just stones I like more than others on a given day. Until you start using water stones (much softer than oil stones, and way different feedback) you won't know what you like. Research is fun, but it may lead you down the wrong path. I thought that way for a while, and bought some shapton pro and glass stones (greatest thing since sliced bread) and found I did not enjoy sharpening on them as much as soft stones, so they sit in the cupboard. If daughters like them, or neices or nephew or cousins they will get them. Most of us on the forum own many stones, same as most of us own many knives. They are all different, and all have their strong and weak points.

I spent the morning tearing through a bunch of veg (8 boxes total) and getting some sauces rolling. I brought only 3 knives with me today - all different steel, and all different edge angles. The Carter is a great knife on hard veg, the Ultimatum is an all arounder, and my line knife will get a beating later today. This afternoon I will get the salmon filleted and portioned first thing - then move to other tasks. All have shinny edges, and allow me to cut product quickly and accurately.
Insnekamkze86

Post by Insnekamkze86 »

Yes I agree with you that I won't know much till I buy the stones and use them, and yes noone can recommend a perfect stone for my needs. But I was asking how that stone was if they owned it and use it regularly from day to day. Since I will be grabbing a 1k stone and probably the 140 diamond plate as well.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

I use my Nubatama 1200 and the big red brick more than any other stones. Either or both are just necessities if you get into sharpening in a non casual manner
gladius

Post by gladius »

Insnekamkze86 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 11:48 am Since we're talking about 1k stones now how is the big red brick 1k stone that i believe is a Imaishi for sharpening? Since I'm going to be using at the house and as a house stone for work I like the brick sized stones, which I ve been looking at now instead.
—-
Consider the Kohetsu 800 & 2k which will cover most of your sharpening requirements. I like them better than my Cerax, Imanishi, Naniwa and Shapton stones. They cut fast with a nice feel and produce excellent results. The 2k finishes more like a 3-4K and the 800 is great on wide bevels. Highly recommended. Their size makes them a good value too.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/ko800grshst.html

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/ko2grst.html
Insnekamkze86

Post by Insnekamkze86 »

How would it be like going from like a 140 diamond plate to like the Kohetsu 2k stone. If one needed to and thats the only stones they had? I ask because my edges feel like I would be best suited for a 1 to 2k stone and only needing a corse stone as a fail safe. Since I get a decent edge from a India stone but would like to have a better sharper edge.
gladius

Post by gladius »

Insnekamkze86 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 8:30 pm How would it be like going from like a 140 diamond plate to like the Kohetsu 2k stone. If one needed to and thats the only stones they had? I ask because my edges feel like I would be best suited for a 1 to 2k stone and only needing a corse stone as a fail safe. Since I get a decent edge from a India stone but would like to have a better sharper edge.
—-
140 to 800 is better but if those are all you had then it would take longer to remove the 140 scratch pattern. Just try and go lightly with the 140 not producing deep scratches.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

The Kohetsu stones are "only" a bit over an inch thick. But given what I think of their knives, they are probably great items. But going from a 140 to 2K stone would be a feat of shear masochism - the time you would spend would pay for an 800 grit stone in a few knives
gladius

Post by gladius »

lsboogy wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 10:51 pm The Kohetsu stones are "only" a bit over an inch thick. But given what I think of their knives, they are probably great items.
—-
I have the older stone which is 2 inches. The description states ”The stone company changed the size to improve quality” - the older stone is great and if the quality improved then it is even more recommended. The feel of the stone is what makes it so good as it has a strong draw grabbing the steel producing a very keen edge on all type steels including stainless, tool, PM and carbon.
Insnekamkze86

Post by Insnekamkze86 »

Cool thank you for the info. I take another look at the Kohetsu stones before making my decision. Since the only think I know for sure is I need a 1k stone or similar and maybe a 140 diamond plate as well.
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

gladius wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 11:29 pm
lsboogy wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 10:51 pm The Kohetsu stones are "only" a bit over an inch thick. But given what I think of their knives, they are probably great items.
—-
I have the older stone which is 2 inches. The description states ”The stone company changed the size to improve quality” - the older stone is great and if the quality improved then it is even more recommended. The feel of the stone is what makes it so good as it has a strong draw grabbing the steel producing a very keen edge on all type steels including stainless, tool, PM and carbon.
From what I understand, the older version of the 800 stone had multiple reports of horizontal cracking. After feedback reached the manufacturer, they eventually decided to make thinner stones (the thought being that this would help to cut down on these cracks). That is the reported reason for the size change. I don't know for certain, but I don't think that they actually changed the recipe here; just the dimensions.
Insnekamkze86

Post by Insnekamkze86 »

Does anyone know who makes the Kohetsu stones?
nevrknow

Post by nevrknow »

If I could only have 2 stones the 800 and 2K from Kohetsu would be the 2. But I'm also a stone junkie so I have more. :)

I have 4 of the old versions, but still using the first one I got. No issues with a crack yet although I see it. Still haven't reached it yet. Even so, I will probably just lap out of it and continue on. I hope they did not change the formula, I still recommend them to everyone that asks.
Cigarguy

Post by Cigarguy »

Thanks for the Kohetsu stone recommendations folks. Been on a stone buying binge late (20+ over the past few weeks). These are probably going to be my next 2 stones. Perfect 2 stones setup for most knives and all that I will need for most knives.
Papou

Post by Papou »

Cigarguy wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 2:18 pm Thanks for the Kohetsu stone recommendations folks. Been on a stone buying binge late (20+ over the past few weeks). These are probably going to be my next 2 stones. Perfect 2 stones setup for most knives and all that I will need for most knives.
Certainly a Bug :) lol, Started slowing down in stone purchase of late and concentrating more on Stropping for a wee bit of further refinement to the edge .
Playing around with variouse types of leather till a Fellow Forumite over this side of the pond advised to try Denim as a stropping medium which i did . Purchased another piece of Balsa , denim both sides from a Pair of jeans which had shrunk around the waistline :) and Diomond paste on one side and nothing on the other ..
The leather strops come in a second best now..
Caught a heap of Whiting the other day and after filletting the lot all i did was a strop on the clear denim side and blade was back to where it was initially..
So sometimes pays to alternate from stones to other mediums ..
Cigarguy

Post by Cigarguy »

Interesting Papou. I've been stropping much longer than I've been sharpening with stones but have never tried denim. Going to give it a shot as I too have many jeans that don't fit around the waist anymore.
Insnekamkze86

Post by Insnekamkze86 »

I've only strop on a stone never leather before or denim.
Papou

Post by Papou »

Ooooohhhh Leather lol!!!. You purchase any of those stones yet!!???..
Insnekamkze86

Post by Insnekamkze86 »

No but probably going to buy the Imaishi 1k/6k combo. Even though I wanted Shapton for a long time. Since a cigar company screwed up and didn't take their money when they're suppose to it might make me not be able to right now.
Papou

Post by Papou »

If your initial want was for Shaptons why not stick with them??..