Suehiro Cerax vs Rika stones.

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
Jeff B

Re: Suehiro Cerax vs Rika stones.

Post by Jeff B »

Insnekamkze86 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:08 am 300 dollar knife but they do look like a beautiful knives to have and use.
$300 for a knife used to sound crazy to me. Now I'm happy/surprised if a knife I want is only $300. :P
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Jeff B wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:42 pm
Insnekamkze86 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:08 am 300 dollar knife but they do look like a beautiful knives to have and use.
$300 for a knife used to sound crazy to me. Now I'm happy/surprised if a knife I want is only $300. :P
That's one of the problems with this rabbit hole. As we get better with our knives we find fault with them and try other knives and find the best thing and then find fault with it. There is no best knife or stone out there, no matter how many reviews and demonstrations we digest. My chef still runs circles around me with an old Richmond AS laser, no matter what knives I have in my roll. But my large and growing collection of expensive Japanese blades is teaching me that a particular blade does better in my hands in certain settings and on certain product.

This is kind of like the car magazines in a lot of ways. I test drove a corvette Z06 last weekend, beat me up really bad in the 40 or so miles I put on it. And in the hands of some drivers it may be fast, but with traction control on it felt like I could not push the thing, and with it off I was all over the place. My CLK63 feels faster because I can push it (it's not), but the GTR Nismo we got to drive last night felt great and it is a better street and track car. I held corner with slight tail wag easily, and it just felt great when pushed - and it's comfortable with the optional seats. Little bit more money than a Vette, but a much much better car, for fit and finish, comfort, and my ability to get it to go where I wanted easily.

I love the matsubara on onions (good as any of my Kikuichi's) and it is stellar on sweet peppers. A Sab profiled CHII blade is my preference for the other veg, I did yesterday, but I have too many knives that I keep going back and forth with. A $300 blade may sound expensive, but is a great investment - a home cook should be able to get several lifetimes out of one (I have 100 plus year old knives that I still use occasionally - and the Sabs I grew up with - akin to buying $300 knives today - are still doing great after 50 straight years of home kitchen duty) - 75 cents a month is dirt cheap). They allow you to cook meals that you could only get at high end restaurants for cheap, and make meat and potatoes stuff super easy. A sharp kitchen knife that you learn to use will save money. But there is no best one for everything or everyone - not even a best one for today for most of us
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Jeff B wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:42 pm
That's one of the problems with this rabbit hole. As we get better with our knives we find fault with them and try other knives and find the best thing and then find fault with it. There is no best knife or stone out there, no matter how many reviews and demonstrations we digest. My chef still runs circles around me with an old Richmond AS laser, no matter what knives I have in my roll. But my large and growing collection of expensive Japanese blades is teaching me that a particular blade does better in my hands in certain settings and on certain product.

This is kind of like the car magazines in a lot of ways. I test drove a corvette Z06 last weekend, beat me up really bad in the 40 or so miles I put on it. And in the hands of some drivers it may be fast, but with traction control on it felt like I could not push the thing, and with it off I was all over the place. My CLK63 feels faster because I can push it (it's not), but the GTR Nismo we got to drive last night felt great and it is a better street and track car. I held corner with slight tail wag easily, and it just felt great when pushed - and it's comfortable with the optional seats. Little bit more money than a Vette, but a much much better car, for fit and finish, comfort, and my ability to get it to go where I wanted easily.

I love the matsubara on onions (good as any of my Kikuichi's) and it is stellar on sweet peppers. A Sab profiled CHII blade is my preference for the other veg, I did yesterday, but I have too many knives that I keep going back and forth with. A $300 blade may sound expensive, but is a great investment - a home cook should be able to get several lifetimes out of one (I have 100 plus year old knives that I still use occasionally - and the Sabs I grew up with - akin to buying $300 knives today - are still doing great after 50 straight years of home kitchen duty) - 75 cents a month is dirt cheap). They allow you to cook meals that you could only get at high end restaurants for cheap, and make meat and potatoes stuff super easy. A sharp kitchen knife that you learn to use will save money. But there is no best one for everything or everyone - not even a best one for today for most of us