Do the CRKT 8x3 strops work in a stone holder?

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
Ourorboros

Do the CRKT 8x3 strops work in a stone holder?

Post by Ourorboros »

Do the metal backed 8x3 strops from CRKT have enough height to work in standard stone holders? Or is a magnetic base needed?
STPepper9

Re: Do the CRKT 8x3 strops work in a stone holder?

Post by STPepper9 »

Hmm.. Did you mean CRKT or CKTG?
If you meant chef knives to go (something like this:
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kastforedpro1.html) the strop has a magnetic backing like a refrigerator magnet. And it's the strop base that is metal.
If you wanted to use a stone holder, the strop is too thin to use it to its maximum potential in my opinion, though I'm sure it could be done in a pinch (for most stone holders).
I stuck strops to an atoma diamond plate (8x3") and used that as the metal base and then put that into a stone holder for a couple years until I eventually bought a strop base.

I don't know anything about about crkt other than the two EDC knives I've had by them.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

8x3 will fit a standard holder. Height? Add a base below it if you need it. The nanocloth strops will fit fine in a 3x8 holder (available here on CKTG). No knowledge of the CKRT strops. IMO - get the good stuff :)

---
Ken
Ourorboros

Post by Ourorboros »

Thanks.
I have no idea why I have CRKT on my mind. A warning against posting in the early AM I guess.