Different Strokes

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Different Strokes

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

I constantly tinker with my sharpening and one thing I was focusing on lately is the length of stroke to keep the most consistent angle. Basically, the way I've done this is just paying close attention to the knife as I use shorter and longer strokes. I think I wobble the least when I use only about 3-4" of the stone. As the edge gets further away from my body there is more chance for slight angle dips. So now I just sharpen on less than half of the stone using a short quick stroke and then I flip the stone around to wear it down more or less evenly.

How about you guys? How much of the stone do you use?
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
gladius

Re: Different Strokes

Post by gladius »

This has been my technique for many years. It makes for more consistent strokes.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Hi Mark, yes I also do most of my sharpening using 3 or 4" strokes.

But in a maybe misplaced thought, I have been playing around with longer strokes, to use the full length & area of the stone more consistently through a sharpening session, especially if I'm sharpening multiple knives.

Yes there has been a bit more wobble, but I'm working on trying to (a) develop better / different techniques and (b) build better muscle memory so that my ordinary techniques can cope with the longer strokes. My change in technique is trying stuff that I have read about from other forum members over time.

When sharpening I usually have my body positioned with one foot leading, if that makes sense. What has worked best so far is that I get set up to make the first stroke and then "lock" all my joints except for the knee in my leading leg and ankles in both. Then I try to use almost the full length of the stone by just moving my body forward holding everything in alignment. I sharpen edge-leading ambidextrously (as I believe you do) so when doing the other side it's just the opposite for stance and alignment.

Nothing perfected yet, but subjectively I think that using longer strokes with just my ordinary stance is becoming more consistent with a bit less wobble.

Very keen to hear what other forum members are doing here as well.
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

Unlike most videos, I orient the stone parallel with my hips as opposed to extending outward from my belly. This allows me to make a full sized knife swoop without ever getting my hands or arms too far from my body. Subtle foot shifts allow the entire knife to move and a subtle elbow movement to follow the curve of the profile. My elbows and hands are essentially comfortably locked into position as I either swivel a swoop or rain man dance sectional scrubs.
MrIceFungus

Post by MrIceFungus »

I try to sharpen with as much of the stone as possible, though it does seem to be easier with the knife at around 45 degrees rather than perpendicular to the stone. I think the key for me is to try and move the right hand with the left to try and keep the angle consistent
Ourorboros

Post by Ourorboros »

I noticed that problem too. I compensate by having the hand that is on the blade relatively low, close to where steel meets stone. This gives me a better feel of contact, to minimize angle variation.
Papou

Post by Papou »

Try use as much length of the stone as possible for even wear and less or at least amount of flattening of the stone , rotate the stone regular also try keep even wear . Mark i think it was you once said try keep the stone at least hip high for more even or level strokes ?? and have done so ever since .
Have two seperate areas where i do my sharpening . One under my Lychee tree for shade , and one under my Pegola when it showers or rains and have set up the height in both arenas.
Doubt one can get away consistently without losing the angle occasionaly , hence constant eyeing of the blade is neccesary make sure your on track..
So far so good as The Cowboy in The Magnificent Seven sez lol..
With my King Stones when first started of i used to use shorter strokes and found the stone bellied faster . Think most dont count their strokes either but i have gotten in the habit of doing so again to try keep and even keel with the edge and feel out of kilter when i dont do so:)..
Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan »

If this approach works for you keep it up. I use the entire stone, every part of it but that doesn’t matter. If you have better angle control this way then just make sure you flip the stones from end to end often and continue to sharpen as you do.
gladius

Post by gladius »

I tried to find the video I did using short strokes using half the stone length using all parts of the stone but it is lost but the post lives on the old forum...

https://www.chefknivestogoforum.com/vie ... 6k#p149726
nevrknow

Post by nevrknow »

Peter Nowlan wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:38 pm If this approach works for you keep it up. I use the entire stone, every part of it but that doesn’t matter. If you have better angle control this way then just make sure you flip the stones from end to end often and continue to sharpen as you do.
I thought I was the only one flipping stones end to end. ;)
salemj

Post by salemj »

I often think about these issues in relation to Japanese sharpeners often keeping their stones at an angle. I agree that shorter strokes results in more accurate angles, but I bet if you used the stone at an angle (I think the usual is angling it downward, away from you) it would make it easier to use longer strokes while maintaining a more precise edge angle. Anyone experiment with this?
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.