Daovua sharpening angle

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
dc2123

Daovua sharpening angle

Post by dc2123 »

At what angle should the daovua knives be sharpened at?
ronnie_suburban

Re: Daovua sharpening angle

Post by ronnie_suburban »

You may find some helpful information on this thread.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:17 pm You may find some helpful information on this thread.
Interesting read but not one word about angle. Just suggestions on grit.
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

But I keep mine about 15 degrees and it gets the job done.
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.
Paul282

Post by Paul282 »

I asked the same question a while back and received a lot of good feedback. The thread is about 5 posts down on page 2 of this forum with the exact same title funny enough. I made the post prior to receiving the knife. I purchased the finish sharpening service from CKTG and didnt realize I would be provided the angle it was sharpened at (and stones used) on a cool little card along with the knife. The angle they chose was 12 degrees and I think that says a lot. That being said, my takeaway from the responses to my post was that the angle chosen doesnt matter nearly as much as being able to sharpen at your chosen angle in a consistent manner on both sides of the knife.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

I just sharpened mine (going sailing this weekend - going to take it with as we are camping with others and they will use it). Quick calculation sohcahtoa thing shows I am doing about 12 degrees per side. Seems sharp - will know how it holds up by Wednesday next week
Paul282

Post by Paul282 »

Good times! It will be interesting to hear the report.
Rob L

Post by Rob L »

I usually do a 15 degree angle for two daos I have. Works out well. Lately I sharpen them with a chosera 800 and finish on a shapton glass 2k. Also works out well!
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

My Daovua is still fine. Held up to everything thrown at it in camp setting doing most everything for meals. Friday evening to Wednesday morning did all the work for 6, nothing really challenging, but we ate very well while up putting around the Apostle islands - sailing Lake Superior was great, had a couple days with pretty good winds (25 knots ) but most were just 6-15 (perfect for a 42 foot boat). The knife is still ready for anything - did not take any sharpening stuff with me, and only the one knife for meals. Handled mostly fish, lamb, veg, and a bit of fruit (we picked blueberries in Bayfield - started out the journey with 15lb, now have about 6 so we gorged on the things).
A great knife to take on a week long camping journey - especially when you are cooking on campfires - did everything and the thing is still sharp enough for breakfast tomorrow (SO thinks I need to get up and fix her omelettes in bed - I think she's correct) - got some mushrooms, spinach, and herbs on way home - have some fantastic Gruyere to compliment the duck eggs - going to use the knife in the morning. If I just had home duty for a blade, this would be an excellent choice - leaf spring steel holds up better than I would expect.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

I used the thing today at my second job - quick strop this morning before I headed out. Did a couple boxes of onions with the thing and it held out very well - the edge on the thing seems to hold up far better than I would have expected - even at 12 degrees per side. My line knife (Richmond GT) seems to hold an edge better, but the Daovua would make a fine line knife for cheap - and it would serve a home cook well. Won't keep up with an AS knife for volume prep, but I am gaining respect for the thing rapidly. I doubt most home users would need to sharpen it more than a few times a year, thing still push cuts newspaper after a week of camp meals and then a couple boxes of onions. I might even put the thing through a steeper edge to find out how well a 10 degree edge works.
JoeWheels

Post by JoeWheels »

lsboogy wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:50 pm I used the thing today at my second job - quick strop this morning before I headed out. Did a couple boxes of onions with the thing and it held out very well - the edge on the thing seems to hold up far better than I would have expected - even at 12 degrees per side. My line knife (Richmond GT) seems to hold an edge better, but the Daovua would make a fine line knife for cheap - and it would serve a home cook well. Won't keep up with an AS knife for volume prep, but I am gaining respect for the thing rapidly. I doubt most home users would need to sharpen it more than a few times a year, thing still push cuts newspaper after a week of camp meals and then a couple boxes of onions. I might even put the thing through a steeper edge to find out how well a 10 degree edge works.
Looks like you've named your knife "The Thing."
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Sounds like a good idea - I'll from now on refer to my Daovua as the "Thing" - alien beast for cheap. Going to be my camping knife for some time - we eat well while camping. Going back up for some more sailing in a week or two - season is short on Superior but we get good (6-12 knot) winds most of September. And nothing better than a meal cooked on campfire - especially lamb chops or scallops over a bed of risotto (hmm - have some great risotto rice in the cupboard, maybe get some going for afternoon snack - have a salmon filet in the fridge as well)