Optimum Sharpening Set Up

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
arthurfowler

Re: Optimum Sharpening Set Up

Post by arthurfowler »

Thanks Ken, I think your point demonstrates why this hobby is so fascinating!!

arthurfowler

Post by arthurfowler »

gladius wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:15 pm
arthurfowler wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:07 am
---
Thanks Gladius for the Kohetsu and Rika rec’s, they get great reviews. Do I remember that you recommended one or some of the JNS stones? If so how did you find them?
---

Yes, the synthetic Matukusuyama stones are very good fast cutters that leave fantastic finishes (not too synthetic if you know what I mean) with good contrast: how they finish and their great feedback is what sets these apart.

The 1000 and 6000 are splash and go but do well with a short soak. The 800 is excellent on wide bevels while the 300 is a monster cutting very fast, I use it a lot at the low end when needed. The two standouts I think would compliment what you already have are the Matukusuyama aotos: blue and red. the Blue << is hard and polishes really well in the 4k range while the Red << is soft, muddy and also finishes in the 4k range. Both are faster than the natural equivalents (which I have) but finish close but with a little more polish. I use these to maintain my carbons when I need a little more bite than the awasedo naturals provide.
Thanks Gladius, this is really helpful. I did almost get the complete medium set that was on sale recently but missed it. I managed to score a Catcheside recently and I was messaging Will about what progression he uses and he said that he found that the JNS stones work best for him for the polishing base before he finishes on naturals.

ken123

Post by ken123 »

Well if you're just looking, consider some higher grit stones to add to your collection :)

---
Ken

gladius

Post by gladius »

arthurfowler wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:24 am
I managed to score a Catcheside recently and I was messaging Will about what progression he uses and he said that he found that the JNS stones work best for him for the polishing base before he finishes on naturals.
---
I totally agree with Will.
how they finish and their great feedback is what sets these apart.