Optimum Sharpening Set Up

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
arthurfowler

Optimum Sharpening Set Up

Post by arthurfowler »

Hi all

As I have progressed on my sharpening journey I have played around with a few different stones. I have SP’s 220, 1k, 2k and 5k, SG120, 500, 2k and 6k and NP’s 150, 320, 600, 1.5k, 3k. I also have a Aono Aoto, a Meara, a Yaganoshima Asagi and a cheapest Ohira Range. I also have a worn Atoma 140 and a good 400.

I want to get to one set that handles everything from sharpening friends German knives, through to all of my knives - carbon clad, stainless clad white, blue, AS, SG2, ZDP189, white and blue Honyaki. I would also like to experiment with some basic polishing of my knives. I think I have too many stone varieties and overlaps which leads to being distracted. I want to look at one set that covers all of the above bases as much as possible so that I can concentrate on my sharpening solely. I do know that I do prefer splash and go as it is far easier.

I am happy to keep current stones but also change it up completely. I am not looking to add seriously expensive naturals.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Best

Gareth
ken123

Re: Optimum Sharpening Set Up

Post by ken123 »

Arthur it seems you already have a great set. While I use the platinums for most everything I would really recommend more practice with what you already have. Stones for stainless and other steels have different needs. Wish I could be more helpful.

---
Ken
Cigarguy

Post by Cigarguy »

I was in a similar situation as you. Instead of letting quantity of stones and grit options confused me, I simplify things by concentrating on being a better sharpener with less stones.

I do a lot of mobile sharpening at friend's house and also love bringing a few stones to sharpen blades while camping. I've narrowed down the tools to a coarse grit, 1000ish workhorse grit, 3000 grit finishing stone and a leather strop. With this setup I can sharpen anything from an axe to a ZDP189 knife. The type and brand of stone is dependent on which stone is my flavour of the day.

Keep it simple and focus on quality. Optimum is dependent on me as the only sharpening tool I buy are all quality.
Last edited by Cigarguy on Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

arthurfowler wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:31 pm NP’s 150, 320, 600, 1.5k, 3k.
What are NP's?
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
bruin

Post by bruin »

Jeff B wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:45 pm
What are NP's?
Naniwa Professional aka chosera ? Correct me if I’m wrong
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

What are NP's?
I was guessing Nubatama Platinums ;)
But I don't think they are made in those grits.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

bruin wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:56 pm
What are NP's?
Naniwa Professional aka chosera ? Correct me if I’m wrong
Chocera doesn't have a 150, 320 or 1.5 so I'm guessing that Ray may have the right answer here. Not sure about Nubatama Platinums grits.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Could be. I have a 150 but it is a Nubatama bamboo.

Nubatama Platinums come in 220 320 600 1k (regular and hard) 1500 2k 3k and 6k grits.

Other Nubatamas include 24, 60, a new 46 grit stone, 120 180 220(x3) etc etc to 15k.

---
Ken
Igalor

Post by Igalor »

You don't need any other stones. You can make at least to full sets capable of tackling any job.
arthurfowler

Post by arthurfowler »

Thanks for all the responses. Really appreciated. NP is Nubatama Platinum and my mistake and to correct myself, the 150 is a bamboo version. I now know I prefer splash and go to soakers even though I like the Nubatama’s (with the exception of the 320) and I am aware that I have clearly more than enough options here to sharpen most things with or without soaking. I probably am just subconsciously itching to buy some new stones!!!

Thanks again.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

For years I had a 1K Kikuichi and an 8K kitayama stone as my set. Nothing else required - now I have many stones and it's way easier but not better with many stones
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

I see one 1k stone. Master it.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

jmcnelly85 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:57 pm I see one 1k stone. Master it.
Brilliant! I think I might take that advise.
gladius

Post by gladius »

You have some very good sharpening sets. You don't really need any more but sounds like you'd like new stones. Try the Kohetsu 800 & 2000 and Rika 5000. These are not splash and go but with a short soak perform very well and are a pleasure to use.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

I'm with Ray - master your 1K (just use the single stone - all other stay in cupboard or drawer) - it will give your knives better than most factory edges. You have a beautiful stone collection and it should suffice for your and you children's lives

The person I learned to sharpen from 30 years ago had just two stones, I replicated his and until 5 years ago that's all I ever had - a 1K and an 8K. Now I'm in the rabbit hos with a cupboard full of stones, and learning about low grit stuff - Ken turned me on to a 220 (great for taking ships out and reprofiling) and I am learning to use that one now. Maybe I'll do a couple of pocket knives today (have they day off but leaves are still frozen to the ground, so I might toss a few stones into the bucket and get to it) - point is to learn to use a stone before you buy more - I bought my way into things for too many years before learning to use things - I raced cars (up to Formula Atlantic) years ago and should learn from that - my skills are not limited by my tools, but rather my skills are limited and the tools should reflect that. Until you are limited by a 1K, you have not mastered it
arthurfowler

Post by arthurfowler »

Thanks again guys. Completely agree with all of your comments. I definitely have too much choice which does act as a distraction sometimes. I am also aware that any of these stones with the right technique will deliver an amazing edge butI should probably just continue with a basic consistent combination so that I can see more clearly if my technique is out.

Thanks Gladius for the Kohetsu and Rika rec’s, they get great reviews. Do I remember that you recommended one or some of the JNS stones? If so how did you find them?

Thanks again guys.
gladius

Post by gladius »

arthurfowler wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:07 am ---
Thanks Gladius for the Kohetsu and Rika rec’s, they get great reviews. Do I remember that you recommended one or some of the JNS stones? If so how did you find them?
---

Yes, the synthetic Matukusuyama stones are very good fast cutters that leave fantastic finishes (not too synthetic if you know what I mean) with good contrast: how they finish and their great feedback is what sets these apart.

The 1000 and 6000 are splash and go but do well with a short soak. The 800 is excellent on wide bevels while the 300 is a monster cutting very fast, I use it a lot at the low end when needed. The two standouts I think would compliment what you already have are the Matukusuyama aotos: blue and red. the Blue << is hard and polishes really well in the 4k range while the Red << is soft, muddy and also finishes in the 4k range. Both are faster than the natural equivalents (which I have) but finish close but with a little more polish. I use these to maintain my carbons when I need a little more bite than the awasedo naturals provide.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

That's what I like about my Shapton Pros, splash-n-go and they just work...on everything. And the fact that they don't break the bank is an added bonus.
$160 for a 320, 1k, 5k, it just doesn't get much better.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Part of 'Mastering the 1k' is appreciating the differences between 1k stones - soft ones, muddy ones, different grits and formulations. A 1200 bamboo and a 1k extra hard speckled Nubatama ume are different creatures. Each of the 1k stones out there have unique characteristics worth understanding.

---
Ken
arthurfowler

Post by arthurfowler »

Jeff B wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:34 pm That's what I like about my Shapton Pros, splash-n-go and they just work...on everything. And the fact that they don't break the bank is an added bonus.
$160 for a 320, 1k, 5k, it just doesn't get much better.
Thanks Jeff, I completely agree and that is why SP’s were my first stone purchase. I think I am just trying to justify another purchase. If it was only about ‘need’, I suspect this forum wouldn’t exist!!! 😉