Thinning- Whetstone vs diamond

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
BurlsnBlades

Thinning- Whetstone vs diamond

Post by BurlsnBlades »

Soo, I've got a bit of thing and bevel setting to do on both stainless and aogami super. I'm thinking of getting a shapton pro #120, but I don't have any experience with coarse whetstones (currently own imanishi/bester 1200 and 4000). I'm wondering what people have to say about using such a coarse whetstone vs using a diamond plate?

Jeff B

Re: Thinning- Whetstone vs diamond

Post by Jeff B »

I would say unless you are doing some reprofiling or major repairs stay away from the diamond plates. The scratch patterns are a BITCH to remove.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.

ken123

Post by ken123 »

At a given grit diamond plates scratch deeper but a stone of comparable grit cleans the scratches up well. So a 150 grit stone cleans up a 140 or 150 diamond plate. I also have 46, 60 100 and 150 grit plates too for even faster removal and flattening applications. After a 140 plate use a 150 stone or something close - 220 320 400. Jumping from a 150 plate to a 1k stone usually doesnt work well.

Ken

pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

Jeff B wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:44 pm
I would say unless you are doing some reprofiling or major repairs stay away from the diamond plates. The scratch patterns are a BITCH to remove.
I’m with Jeff on this one. Unless I’m doing a fairly major repair, I try to stay away from diamond plates. I’ve found that my favorite stone for thinning is a Shapton glass 500.
--- Steve

BurlsnBlades

Post by BurlsnBlades »

ken123 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:28 pm
At a given grit diamond plates scratch deeper but a stone of comparable grit cleans the scratches up well. So a 150 grit stone cleans up a 140 or 150 diamond plate. I also have 46, 60 100 and 150 grit plates too for even faster removal and flattening applications. After a 140 plate use a 150 stone or something close - 220 320 400. Jumping from a 150 plate to a 1k stone usually doesnt work well.

Ken
So it sounds like your suggesting I use both; diamond for initial stock removal, and the whetstone for some additional stock removal and to clean up the deep scratches? I like that idea, but I think I'll only be buying one or the other right now, so it sounds like it should be the stone ( or another belt grinder... I've got a 4"). I was feeling unsure about the Shapton cuz I've heard that coarse whetstones wear out fast. But I guess when they're on sale for $26, what the hell, right? Given that at that price they cost about the same as the Norton crysto, which would y'all go with?

Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

If you can get low grit Shapton's for $26 I'd jump on that, you'll get more than your money's worth out of it!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.

BurlsnBlades

Post by BurlsnBlades »

Thanks for the tips. Now, just out of curiosity, what about DMT diamond stones vs Atoma? I'm sure somebody around here's got an opinion ;)

ken123

Post by ken123 »

I prefer the Atomas over the dmts. Cktg also has some plates as well which are well reviewed. I also have plates (also well reviewed).

Ken

Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

The Atoma plates are the better plates but also more expensive. The CKTG plate is a good budget plate.

ken123

Post by ken123 »

"I was feeling unsure about the Shapton cuz I've heard that coarse whetstones wear out fast."

My experience with both the pro and glassstone Shaptons is that they are fast wearing. I used up half of a glass stone on one session on a 120. I much prefer thicker stones for coarse work (i.e 50 mm thick.) The other Shaptons do wear very slowly.

---
Ken

Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

All low grit stones wear fast, but @ $26, WELL worth it.

lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

ken123 wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:25 pm
"I was feeling unsure about the Shapton cuz I've heard that coarse whetstones wear out fast."

My experience with both the pro and glassstone Shaptons is that they are fast wearing. I used up half of a glass stone on one session on a 120. I much prefer thicker stones for coarse work (i.e 50 mm thick.) The other Shaptons do wear very slowly.

---
Ken
If you do more than occasional sharpening, thick stones are worth it, especially low grit ones. My cupboard is getting another shelf of stuff lately, all 50mm thick at start. Only exception is my Nubatama platinum 6K stone I got from Ken a year ago. I am doing more and more work on low grit stones. Progression used to be 1K 6/8K and then use. Now I'm doing most of the work on a 220, going to a 1200, 2K, 6K and then strop. I have used cjmeik (Chris) for thinning - he does a fantastic job, knife hot rodder - but I am going to let Ken do my next one - Chris we miss ya bro, but we understand. Ken is my go to for stones and sharpening, he is busy but I have a need for performance increase on a kono GS+ that is just screaming for thinning - profile and steel fantastic for me, just need a bit of performance increase

Get thick stones if you can - I sharpen enough to warrant them, and the only downside is you leave your heirs good stones

dc2123

Post by dc2123 »

BurlsnBlades wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:34 pm
ken123 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:28 pm

Ken
So it sounds like your suggesting I use both; diamond for initial stock removal, and the whetstone for some additional stock removal and to clean up the deep scratches? I like that idea, but I think I'll only be buying one or the other right now, so it sounds like it should be the stone ( or another belt grinder... I've got a 4"). I was feeling unsure about the Shapton cuz I've heard that coarse whetstones wear out fast. But I guess when they're on sale for $26, what the hell, right? Given that at that price they cost about the same as the Norton crysto, which would y'all go with?

Where are you getting a $26 Shapton?

ken123

Post by ken123 »

IF you are getting a Shapton get something like a 220 from a reputable dealer (cktg). Take the crystalons off your list. There is a time to be cheap. This isn't one of those times.
---
Ken

BurlsnBlades

Post by BurlsnBlades »

@dc2123 I'm not, it turns out. They are on clearance sale at Tosho, but I didn't realize the shipping was gonna be so 'spensive.