Finishing stone advice

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
sbuckel

Finishing stone advice

Post by sbuckel »

I’m looking for some advice on a finishing stone, I think I’ve narrowed it down to either a suehiro Rika 5k or an Arashiyama 6k. Have any of you guys used the two of them?? They are similar in price, I just have no idea about the difference in feedback and dishing between the two. From the reviews I’ve seen it sounds like they are both quality stones though.
lsboogy

Re: Finishing stone advice

Post by lsboogy »

Are you an occasional sharpener or starting to get serious about things? I used just a Kikuichi 1K and Kitayama 8K for probably 25 years as my only stones, and the Kitayama is still a great finishing stone for hard steel blades - but either of the stones you are looking at will do fine until you figure out more about what you like in sharpening stones. Some like very hard stones like Shapton Glass, some like soft stones (me) and some are in the middle. We all sharpen a bit differently, and it will take a bit of time to figure out what you really like, but if you are just starting on higher grit stones, get one and practice - soon you will start to figure out what is in your wheelhouse.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

The Suehiro Rika 5k is a very versatile finishing stone, works very well with most steels, I'd start there. A little softer and will dish a little faster than the Arashiyama but is more forgiving and will last you for many years and is well worth the money. There's a reason it's one of the most popular finishers out there.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

There are so many choices. You could start with either of these realizing that this will just be a start on a longer journey.

Ken
Cigarguy

Post by Cigarguy »

I have both but prefer the feel and finish of the Rika. Rika is softer and therefore will dish faster. Both are good stones and being a stone head of course I got to get both.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Just curious why you decided that a 5 or 6k stone would be a finishing stone vs a 10 20 or 30k stone or a natural stone? Im more curious than disagreeing.

Ken
sbuckel

Post by sbuckel »

I tend to prefer the feel of softer stones better, so I'll have to grab the Rika it sounds like, even if it dishes faster it wont really make a difference. And I really just meant "finishing" in terms of my stone progression, I'm sure I will eventually move up to some natural stones but I want to get better at sharpening first. Still an intermediate sharpener for sure!