Limiting factor in edge acuity

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
cedarhouse

Limiting factor in edge acuity

Post by cedarhouse »

I had a bit of an epiphany recently. Like many folks, I've been cooking a lot more recently so I've also been using my knives more and sharpening more than I have in sometime. I think this was something I've known a long time but I've had to relearn it and it dawned on me that this is kinda a weird idiosyncrasy.

The limiting factor in how acute I can take my edges in my cutting board. My knives and my sharpening skill can produce a lower angle edge but the edge sticks in the board increasing the likelihood of a lateral or torquing load right at the edge. Additionally, I am either slowed in my work flow when I fall out of rhythm due to the edge sticking, or I have to be light with my touch to the point of slowing down.

Just curious, if this is a common experience.
jmcnelly85

Re: Limiting factor in edge acuity

Post by jmcnelly85 »

I agree board construction is a huge factor in a users overall edge. A wood board soft enough to be both gentle, yet dangerous isn’t fundamentally any different than a hard poly board that’s in no way gentle, yet much more likely to be rocker friendly to that torque spot as it pertains to what overall edge angle works for a certain knife. Keep the steep angles but see if other cutting techniques can be utilized at higher speeds.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Edges sticking to the board can be a problem. It is also related to thr cutting task. You see this with softer boards and depends on the knife used so usubas and kiritsukes are more vulnerable. You also see this with heavier blades like hunting knives which are twisted when used forcefully for batoning etc. Nakiris also stick easily. You can sharpen to a duller edge for the task required.

Ken
cedarhouse

Post by cedarhouse »

jmcnelly85 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:45 pm Keep the steep angles but see if other cutting techniques can be utilized at higher speeds.
As an intellectual exercise, I enjoy experimenting with technique, but as often as not, I just need to get food on the table so I tend to use edge geometry preferentially to limit the issue.

ken123 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:37 am You can sharpen to a duller edge for the task required.
This has been my solution. Luckily, none of the bigger offenders you mention are in my arsenal...I almost exclusively use gyutos.