Fixing a tip

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
owenfw

Fixing a tip

Post by owenfw »

Any advice on how to approach the damage to the tip of this gyuto? I dropped it on a tile floor and it landed directly on the tip. :evil: It’s a Kanehiro AS 240 and my favorite knife. My sharpening abilities are just enough to keep my edges operational, so I’m hesitant to take on very extensive work on a knife I prize. I do think I have all the necessary stones for reprofiling, if that’s what this needs, but I’ve never done it...
37F0509F-73FF-4CB5-B2E2-95C055EA2B50.jpeg
E64C0F48-FB0A-42E9-8594-70F604FE6ACA.jpeg
bruin

Re: Fixing a tip

Post by bruin »

I would make the edge and the spine meet by both lowering the spine and thinning/sharpening from the edge. Doing as much of the work as possible from the spine will help maintain the original profile of the knife. What stones do you have? Something low grit really helps with this kind of thing.

This kind of work can be intimidating the first couple times, but if you’re a good sharpener you’ll be able to do it. Maybe you have another tipped knife (or know someone who does) you can practice on first
ken123

Post by ken123 »

You can do this entirely by grinding from the spine with a coarse stone. After, touch up the right and left sides of the knife which will probably have residual burr.

Ken
Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan »

For the first time I agree with Ken on this one. 😊

It’s a pretty easy fix and that’s easy for me to say I know but you’ll be surprised how well it will go for you. You need to do this to learn. I’ve long since learned that the actual act of sharpening is the easy part it’s the repairs, the thinning, trying to expose the core steel on a repaired knife etc.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

We cant both be wrong lol :)

---
Ken
Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan »

Well if one of is wrong it’s likely me. I rarely go through a day without a screw up.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Perhaps we are both wrong and need a third opinion lol.

---
Ken
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

ken123 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:52 pm Perhaps we are both wrong and need a third opinion lol.

---
Ken
:roll: Doubtful.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
Huntdad

Post by Huntdad »

Well if there is one thing I have learned over the years on this forum...I do whatever Ken OR Peter say!

Its an easy fix and you will have no issue if your follow what Ken and Peter agree on.
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

When I asked for advice on this, Ken suggested that I use the dude of my corse stone. Worked great with no risk of leaving a gouge on the top of your stove.
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

I bought a Shigefusa Santuko and the very first time I used it the tip broke off. I Guess I have some work to do on Monday when I get my new 6K Platinum from Ken to do the final finish. The biggest problem I see is that the KU finish on the top of the blade will be taken off at the front of the knife. Any suggestions of avoiding this?
Attachments
IMG_9162.JPG
IMG_9165.JPG
jknife

Post by jknife »

Ut_ron wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:11 pm When I asked for advice on this, Ken suggested that I use the dude of my corse stone. Worked great with no risk of leaving a gouge on the top of your stove.
I'm pretty new here and have never heard of the"dude" of the stone but it must be handy if it can save the finish of your stove. :lol:
The pig is a magical animal. It takes vegetables and turns them into bacon.
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

Boy I sure didn’t read this before posting 🤦‍♂️

Use the side of your lowest grit stone
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.