Noob Strop Question

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
Cuaimo

Noob Strop Question

Post by Cuaimo »

Hi,

I just received my strop kit with the balsa and bovine strops that cane w .5 and 1 micron paste. However, I
purchased the 1 micron CBN spray as I had read that is a good middle of road beginner emulsifier to use.

Which set up is preferable? To use the 1 on the balsa and .5 paste on the bovine like in the CKTG videos or just use the 1 CBN on both? Can one use two different emulsification grits on the same strop?

Thanks for the help.
michael1778

Re: Noob Strop Question

Post by michael1778 »

One grit at a time per strop.

I have not yet used CBN, myself. I only have limited recent experience with 3 micron and 1 micron paste. Both of those have been on balsa. I think I would be better served to have the 1 micron on a different substrate but, I'm holding out for CBN on nanocloth as my "final strop solution"

I have done bare leather sometimes in the past, not any more since I like the results enough off the 1 micron paste not to bother.

I think you need another strop for all three of those materials/compounds.
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

michael1778 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:54 pm One grit at a time per strop.

I have not yet used CBN, myself. I only have limited recent experience with 3 micron and 1 micron paste. Both of those have been on balsa. I think I would be better served to have the 1 micron on a different substrate but, I'm holding out for CBN on nanocloth as my "final strop solution"

I have done bare leather sometimes in the past, not any more since I like the results enough off the 1 micron paste not to bother.

I think you need another strop for all three of those materials/compounds.
Agreed. I don't know much but this lines up with everything I've read (and done). Dedicate a strop for each individual compound.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
Cuaimo

Post by Cuaimo »

Thanks for confirming. I think I will try the 1m CBN on balsa and the .5 on the bovine.

Thanks again.
michael1778

Post by michael1778 »

Cuaimo wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:50 am Thanks for confirming. I think I will try the 1m CBN on balsa and the .5 on the bovine.

Thanks again.
Please let us know how it goes for you. Good luck.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Your best strops are nanocloth or kangaroo. Use one compound per strop or you will get cross contamination. More are on the way.

---
Ken