What has been a "surprise" stone for you?

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
branwell

What has been a "surprise" stone for you?

Post by branwell »

By this I mean a stone you had no expectations for but totally out performed your expectations?

For me its the King F-3 4000.

I got this one day in Woodcrafters. Just saw it sitting there covered in dust and thought it needed a little love.

Had absolutely zero expectations but it totally surprised. It's pretty much a splash and go and used with a little mud, has a feel I like and leaves a super nice general purpose kitchen edge, i.e. enough bite to get through tomato skins even when slightly dull, but without feeling toothy in proteins. It's got decent speed and no issues with high rockwell carbon. My only gripe is its a 7" x 2" sharpening surface. If it weren't for this, I would use it a lot more. That said, I plan to keep it at the sink this week for touchups.
orezeno

Re: What has been a "surprise" stone for you?

Post by orezeno »

A couple of years ago I bought three Matukusuyama stones (320, 800, Red Aoto) on the advice of Gladius. I was really looking forward to using the Red Aoto and it did not disappoint. And the 800 is a fine medium stone; cuts well, great feel. But the 320 actually steals the show and I did not expect that at all. The 320 is splash-n-go whereas the other two are soakers. It has great feel and cuts as well or better than the Shapton Glass 320 which has been my favorite 320. I don't get asked to touch up knives, so I spend the majority of my sharpening time on coarse stones. The Matukusuyama is a keeper
Greg
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Nubatama 2000 bamboo, Its ability to produce kasumi finishes came as a complete surprise to me while making my first video with this stone. This was followed by the 3k and 15k bamboo stones. Its always a special session using these.

Ken
Emieloss

Post by Emieloss »

For me the Mcusta Zanmai 8000 grit.
Really really love the silky smooth feel, the feedback, how fast it cuts, the polish, the edges it produces. It's amazing and I didn't expect that for a stone that isn't really known.
branwell

Post by branwell »

Awesome. Ty for the input. I add those to my list of stones to try :)
David_R

Post by David_R »

King Neo 800 stone. Splash and go, relatively inexpensive, cuts well and finishes well for 800. Two versions I know of: ST-2 and ST-3. The ST-3 is thicker and does not have a stand attached like the ST-2.
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

The Nubatama 6000 Platinum that performs really well in cutting speed and finish. I used to occasionally when I go that high in grit go to the Kitayama 8K stone but now, I use the Platinum 6K and stop.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

branwell wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:48 am By this I mean a stone you had no expectations for but totally out performed your expectations?
Slightly different take on the above because the I had high expectations of the Kohetsu 2000 and it certainly outperformed those. Great feel, makes a nice "mud", good finish, cuts like crazy, really good for Kasumi finishes, doesn't dish easily Probably my favourite stone
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
branwell

Post by branwell »

Radar53 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:07 pm
branwell wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:48 am By this I mean a stone you had no expectations for but totally out performed your expectations?
Slightly different take on the above because the I had high expectations of the Kohetsu 2000 and it certainly outperformed those. Great feel, makes a nice "mud", good finish, cuts like crazy, really good for Kasumi finishes, doesn't dish easily Probably my favourite stone
Definitely got one of those on my list of stones to get :)