Sink Bridge Curiosity

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
[email protected]

Sink Bridge Curiosity

Post by [email protected] »

I'm curious to know how many of you prefer to sharpen your knives using a sink bridge or do you prefer using a stone holder on the counter? If a sink bridge, is there a standout(s) in the market place?
Chappychap

Re: Sink Bridge Curiosity

Post by Chappychap »

I have the Shapton stone holder and a Naniwa sink bridge. I prefer the sink bridge because it is easier to apply water/rinse, and for me the ambient light is best over the sink compared to anywhere I could use the stone holder. I love the Naniwa, which I bought from CKTG. I use the stone holder on top of it for grip and height.
branwell

Post by branwell »

I use a DIY sink bridge the vast majority of the time. It consists of a 2x4 with a couple bits on the bottom to lock it in place. I like it compared to the few store bought items I had because its a heavy 2x4. It imparts a super solid feel to the stones.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

branwell wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:01 pm I use a DIY sink bridge the vast majority of the time. It consists of a 2x4 with a couple bits on the bottom to lock it in place. I like it compared to the few store bought items I had because its a heavy 2x4. It imparts a super solid feel to the stones.
This is what I did for a number of years until I got some shop space. Simple, cheap and effective. Still have a hard time figuring out why people drop $ on a sink bridge when scarp wood works just as well.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

branwell wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:01 pm I use a DIY sink bridge the vast majority of the time. It consists of a 2x4 with a couple bits on the bottom to lock it in place. I like it compared to the few store bought items I had because its a heavy 2x4. It imparts a super solid feel to the stones.
+1 as well. I used a couple of 2X1 lengths of hardwood secured underneath by a couple of pieces of the same sideways-on. Works great. Generally don't use a stone holder, just a dampened paper towel works really well. If the stone starts to move a little, then I'm using too much pressure. The only time I have any problems is sometimes when using my SG500, I need a bit more knuckle clearance and for that I just put the Shapton plastic box onto the paper towel and that seems to work just fine for me. YMMV
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
orezeno

Post by orezeno »

I use a sink bridge but I don't stretch it over a sink. Instead I stretch it over a polycarbonate full-size food pan. I put water in the pan to use to rinse knives while sharpening them.
Greg
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Naniwa Sink Bridge is my go to.
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/nasibr.html
ken123

Post by ken123 »

I made my own which you can see on my YouTube channel, kenneths123. It has held up for years usng a stoneholder optionally.

Ken
PaulME

Post by PaulME »

Home made all the way - I’m in the modified 2x4;camp but you could easily use a 2x6 or whatever if you want wider. Hit mine with beeswax oil treatment, works fine, can’t imagine dropping $$ on a bridge when I could get a knife or stone.
FisherMAn1298

Post by FisherMAn1298 »

I bought the sg 500,2k and 4k stones at Christmas. With them I got the 3x8 magnetic plate, 3 magnetic strop backing strips to stick on the glass side of the stones. Now I can use it in my sink, my desk, table or any flat surface and they don't budge. $25. in my opinion was well spent.
orezeno

Post by orezeno »

FisherMAn1298 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:02 pm I bought the sg 500,2k and 4k stones at Christmas. With them I got the 3x8 magnetic plate, 3 magnetic strop backing strips to stick on the glass side of the stones. Now I can use it in my sink, my desk, table or any flat surface and they don't budge. $25. in my opinion was well spent.
That's a very creative way to broaden the utility of the 3x8 magnetic plate. Kudos. Also, that's a great selection from the SG line. IMO, the SG 2K is the standout stone. I sharpen typical kitchen knives (not high-end Jknives) with the SG 320, to reset bevel geometry and for edge definition, followed by the SG 2K, for refinement and a little polish. The 500 to 2K jump in your progression won't be an issue.
Greg
FisherMAn1298

Post by FisherMAn1298 »

i'm so glad to hear that, I was worried that jumping over the 1k was a mistake. I bought the 2k only because Mark was out of the 1k at Christmas but it's worked out well, as has the magnetic plate. Holds it down like cement. Check out the article recently posted thescienceofsharp. They use images from an electron microscope to determine what exactly happens when you sharpen. Your analysis is spot on. The edge is set at the lower grits and the finer grits smooth the edge and the blade overall b removing the scratches made by the lower grit. They found out if you strop with a leading edge motion you smooth it out but remove less teeth on the blade thus retaining a higher sharpness quotient. You have to read that paper, it's an eye opener and thanks for the kind words.
orezeno

Post by orezeno »

FisherMAn1298 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:21 pm They found out if you strop with a leading edge motion you smooth it out but remove less teeth on the blade thus retaining a higher sharpness quotient. You have to read that paper, it's an eye opener and thanks for the kind words.
I've been aware of the scienceofsharp web site for a long while; I think since its inception. There is some great information there. Keep in mind that the experiments are primarily done with a straight razor. Though it is an excellent skill to have, one can't be too dogmatic about only using leading edge sharpening. See how well it works with a heavily recurved blade or a bread knife when compared with sharpening those knives using trailing edge strokes.
Greg
FisherMAn1298

Post by FisherMAn1298 »

Excellent point, nothing in this is all encompassing. When I switched to leading edge strokes, it made a huge difference. I could cut paper vertically, I'd never done that before. Stropping is amazing anyway. I don't do only leading strops but I start with trailing and end with leading. Love to hear if that article helped you at all.
joanjet

Post by joanjet »

I think I stole this idea from someone else on this forum, but I use a generic stone holder on a Naniwa sink bridge inside of a 4 in deep restaurant food storage pan filled with a bit of water

Basically a cheap version of the Shapton Sharpening Pond
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Been using a Tojiro sink bridge for several months now, wish I would have bought it a long time ago.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
orezeno

Post by orezeno »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:11 pm I just got 500 of these in.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/sinkbridge.html
Years ago I replaced my homemade sharpening station (2x4 technology and towel) with a Kramer bamboo sink bridge that looks exactly like this CKTG one. I didn't need it, just thought it would be nice to look at. I use it standing on its feet within a commercial half sheet pan, and I use it as a sink bridge stretched across a polycarbonate food pan filled with water. Works well, easy to clean, and looks good.
Greg