Which way would you grind this?

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.

Which way would you grind this?

Standard Chip Removal
11%
Angle Grind the Heel
89%

Total votes: 19

Jeff B

Re: Which way would you grind this?

Post by Jeff B »

Option 3: Sell him a new knife. :)
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
taz575

Post by taz575 »

You could move the choil forward on the blade and recut the machi more forward to keep the neck from looking as long?
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

taz575 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:04 pm You could move the choil forward on the blade and recut the machi more forward to keep the neck from looking as long?
From my perspective there's a couple of quite different things to consider here ie (i) what's the best way we can fix this knife and (ii) what are the commercial realities here. I think that we are possibly approaching this from the perspective of being in the top 1% of the world's knife fanatics & so given that here's some of my random thoughts.

(i) there have been many suggestions covering different repair aspects, and I think all are trying to find an acceptable way to fix this problem, which it has to be said is down to no-one else but the knife owner. Being OCD I love the thoughts from taz above and many others on reprofiling the choil, modifying the tang, moving the handle etc etc. From doing ALL of those things a large petty might be re-born, but in doing only some, there's going to be a compromised frankenstein.

(ii) To get the really good outcome is going to take a lot of time & effort, and while Mark always provides OTT customer service, all that work is going to cost, and Mark has not contributed in any way this current situation. So I don't think that he should feel honour bound to come to the rescue.

My current thinking runs something like this. Having estimated the real cost of a good repair, Mark chould make an offer to either undertake the repair for the stated cost, or offer to sell this person a new knife (with maybe a slight discount or a free sharpen???) and then let the owner make their own choice.

Then maybe the chipped one could be offered on auction as a project knife, or any other similar options.

Not wanting to sound harsh or hard nosed ,so apologies in advance if it comes across this way or if anyone finds it offensive.
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
Mowgface

Post by Mowgface »

I really don't like the exaggerated curve + forward heel (a la Cris Anderson style) so for me, Id go with @Nochop!'s move the entire heel forward were it my knife. I totally get that it is more labor intensive and extreme, but I could never live with such a rounded choil. I dont even like Kanehiro's new Choil shape.

I think Ken's suggestion would be the safest route to go. I just know for me, id let the knife go if I had to go with the curve.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

How did this end up Mark?
Tostadas

Post by Tostadas »

or... turn the back half of the blade into a serrated knife
Fedan

Post by Fedan »

ken123 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:03 am 20210217_025732.jpga

Hopefully this picture explains what I was trying to say a bit better than what I wrote.

Ken
Id vote for this as the best option