Master List of Perma Soaking Stones

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Re: Master List of Perma Soaking Stones

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Thanks Jason.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Yes, thank you.
Chefcallari

Post by Chefcallari »

Good afternoon,
My very first post. Been shopping here for years... Never knew there was a forum lol. Pro chef 10+ years, wanna be sharpener. I also own a king 300 grit that i permasoak.
I notice theres alot of guys kinda scared to permasoak stones, in my experience any soaking stone is good permasoaked. Especially traditional stones like king stones. I find it definitely changes stones cutting ability and feel quite a bit though... In the case of the king stones, my 1200 feels harder and cuts faster.. It pulls a bur on my kohetsu HAP 40 in 2 passes with very mild pressure. Same with the king 300 just in one pass. My RIKA 5k cuts a little faster, is a hair muddier , and leaves the same perfect toothy edge permasoaked. And all of these stones are just as convenient as a slash and go now that they are permasoaked. But just my experience.
Thuja Magus

Post by Thuja Magus »

Chefcallari wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:18 pm Good afternoon,
My very first post. Been shopping here for years... Never knew there was a forum lol. Pro chef 10+ years, wanna be sharpener. I also own a king 300 grit that i permasoak.
I notice theres alot of guys kinda scared to permasoak stones, in my experience any soaking stone is good permasoaked. Especially traditional stones like king stones. I find it definitely changes stones cutting ability and feel quite a bit though... In the case of the king stones, my 1200 feels harder and cuts faster.. It pulls a bur on my kohetsu HAP 40 in 2 passes with very mild pressure. Same with the king 300 just in one pass. My RIKA 5k cuts a little faster, is a hair muddier , and leaves the same perfect toothy edge permasoaked. And all of these stones are just as convenient as a slash and go now that they are permasoaked. But just my experience.
How long have you been soaking the King 300 ? I have one and always thought it should not ve soaking. I even read somewhere that this stone can be "damaged" by prolonged soaking. You got me curious.

As a splash and go stone it stays very flat for a really long time but is not the fastest cutting stone for its grit rating.
Chefcallari

Post by Chefcallari »

Thuja Magus wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:03 pm
Chefcallari wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:18 pm Good afternoon,
How long have you been soaking the King 300 ? I have one and always thought it should not ve soaking. I even read somewhere that this stone can be "damaged" by prolonged soaking. You got me curious.

As a splash and go stone it stays very flat for a really long time but is not the fastest cutting stone for its grit rating.
Lol oh no... Ive had it soaking for like a month lol. I couldn't find any info on it and just assumed it was a soaker. And i agree.. Its hard, stays flat and cuts pretty good.... Especially when you consider its $25 price point.

Where did you read its not good to soak it? Lol you got me curious now.
Thuja Magus

Post by Thuja Magus »

Don't have a link but read that on a woodworking forum.
Chefcallari

Post by Chefcallari »

Thuja Magus wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:21 pm Don't have a link but read that on a woodworking forum.
Tell you what brother... You keep yours splash and go, ill keep mine in water and ill keep you posted if anything adverse happens. Im far from wealthy but ill happily put this $20 stone to the test for the better of sharpening mankind lol. Thank you for your info ... Maybe the king 300 shouldn't be on the permasoak list quite yet.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Every time I see anything about the king 300 it is listed as entirely splash and go.
Chefcallari

Post by Chefcallari »

Kit Craft wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:34 am Every time I see anything about the king 300 it is listed as entirely splash and go.
Is it personal experience or does king say it as well?
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Chefcallari wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:15 am
Kit Craft wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:34 am Every time I see anything about the king 300 it is listed as entirely splash and go.
Is it personal experience or does king say it as well?
I've never had one nor do I know if the warning comes from King, it is just listed on the vendor page. I saw it on a blog once too, where a fellow tested a bunch of stones for different reasons. I will see if I can track that down. It is not a stone I hear a lot about.
Thuja Magus

Post by Thuja Magus »

Just want to add something about the Suehiro Rika 5000. I currently use it permasoaked, been that way for almost a year. The stone is quite "crumbly" if you don't chamfer the edges religiously, the edges of the stone can crumble under some pressure. It is also quite fragile and can chip though I never gouged it while sharpening. It also wears really fast, I'm halfway through it.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

My suggestion is that, if known, that you err on the side of caution by following the vendor's advice regarding soaking permanently. You can ignore the advice but you do this at your own peril.

---
Ken
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

I've been soaking this new stone since I brought it back from Japan. That's longe enough to go on the perma soak list.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/inpipopro220.html
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
edwardroth

Post by edwardroth »

I have permasoaked the Kohetsu 2k stone with mixed results...soaking the stone works to a point but after a week in the pond it started to smell moldy. I used distilled water changed every other day.
old onion

Post by old onion »

Any info on the King Deluxe 300. Is it a soaker/permanent or splash and go ? I have read different stories so I am not sure. All I am sure about is that it must be on a slow boat to China somewhere.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

Even though some advice has suggested otherwise I've been permanently soaking my Cerax 320 for months now and it has had no difficulties.
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

@Ken,

While I don't permasoak any stones, the Nubatama 150 Bamboo needs a lot of water to use it. That stone is so open water flows through it and even after I get some mud the stone tends to dry very quickly. Don't get me wrong, I love the stone for major repairs.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

@jacko I agree about the Nub requiring a LOT of water to get the feel / results that I like.

Ken will cringe, but I've been soaking my Nub 150 for nearly 18 months now with seemingly no adverse effects. Similarly for my Kohetsus 800 & 2k, plus my Cerax 6k
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Don't have any soakers, don't want any soakers. I don't like perma soaking and don't like how long it takes to dry out a soaker.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Jeff. For me it's about just wanting to go to the garage when the time allows and get sharpening without having to faff about trying to time everything around the soaking times of individual stones. I have the space & perma soaking effectively turns my soakers into grab & go stones ie immediately ready for use and they don't need careful drying afterwards.

I'm aware of the associated risks to the longevity of the stones that Ken & others talk about, but it's a risk that so has worked out OK.
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!