Basics of sharpening a knife

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
Andreu

Re: Basics of sharpening a knife

Post by Andreu »

Kit Craft wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:44 pm If I had to say my lateral stroke had a direction I would say it is slightly edge trailing. I don't like edge leading strokes. Not because they do not work but because they do not work for me. I have used edges done by others that were pressure on edge leading only and it was a damn fine edge but I can not replicate the process, it feels unnatural.

I am not sure I follow with the question about a lateral stroke on each trailing stroke. I only use one later stroke per stone if I can help it. Now, if it feels like there is still burr left I might repeat the entire process.
I think I get it now after your explanation that you only do one lateral stroke per stone. Thanks Kit. You guys are so helpful. I am learning quite a bit by reading and asking questions in addition to watching videos. But I must say, there are lot of videos out there that sometimes it can be so overwhelming. I try to extract everything that I believe may work for me and apply it to suit my own technique. If it doesn't work for me, then I will try another method that I have seen or read and hopefully establish my own method. Thanks again.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Andreu wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:33 am
Kit Craft wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:44 pm If I had to say my lateral stroke had a direction I would say it is slightly edge trailing. I don't like edge leading strokes. Not because they do not work but because they do not work for me. I have used edges done by others that were pressure on edge leading only and it was a damn fine edge but I can not replicate the process, it feels unnatural.

I am not sure I follow with the question about a lateral stroke on each trailing stroke. I only use one later stroke per stone if I can help it. Now, if it feels like there is still burr left I might repeat the entire process.
I think I get it now after your explanation that you only do one lateral stroke per stone. Thanks Kit. You guys are so helpful. I am learning quite a bit by reading and asking questions in addition to watching videos. But I must say, there are lot of videos out there that sometimes it can be so overwhelming. I try to extract everything that I believe may work for me and apply it to suit my own technique. If it doesn't work for me, then I will try another method that I have seen or read and hopefully establish my own method. Thanks again.
It can be overwhelming but don't let it get to you, in practice it is much easier than on paper. Interesting in that a lot of things are the opposite. :)
Andreu

Post by Andreu »

Kit Craft wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:57 am
Andreu wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:33 am

It can be overwhelming but don't let it get to you, in practice it is much easier than on paper. Interesting in that a lot of things are the opposite. :)
Couldn't agree more. 😀 Thanks again Kit!
walt dockery

Post by walt dockery »

I have a stupid question, at the beginning of the video in the original post he says to start by dulling the knife on the side of the whetstone. I am wondering is he doing this just for demonstration/learning purposes? I assume you don't normally start by dulling your edge?
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Hi Walt - in just normal sharpening you don't need to dull your knife.
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

desol wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:38 pm Good video for those just learning, especially the supporting hand advice...with the forefinger and thumb. That's important for maintaining stability. I sharpened that way for the first two or three years, but at a lower angle.

I learned from this one as well in the beginning. Of importance, at least to me, was/is the difference shown in the beginning, between the foreign knife and the Japanese knife.
That video really taught me a lot in the beginning and was one of my favorites.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

+1
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

How much of a dork does it make me if I watched that video again simply because it was quoted and in front of me? :P