How to reduce sticktion?

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
wphill

How to reduce sticktion?

Post by wphill »

I have a tf project knife. Cuts darn well but with all the stone work to take out wonkie grind, almost zero grind and shiny blade surface. On the right side I might thin to either introduce either a little comvex or concave geometry..or nothing...I still would like address the slick blade surface.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Re: How to reduce sticktion?

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Flat equals stick. One reason many Japanese blades cut so well is that they're made using that big grinding wheel which imparts small (and sometimes not so small) peaks and valleys on the grind of the blade. Those little over and under grinds help release the food from the blade. The convex grind also assists in allowing food to peel off the blade as you cut through the food.

Compare this to say a Misono which is flat on the left side that then belt sanded on the right with a mirror finish that is very consistent and without much convexing. You cut a raw potato with that knife and it grabs hold of the blade so much that you can pick it up. These knives do some things really well but food release is very limited.

When Makoto Kurosaki taught me to use that wheel he told me to rock the blade face against the stone in side to side swaths and then check the work after a few passes. You do this from spine to the edge and this gives a tiny ripple effect on the blade that really helps the food pop off the blade.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

There is no real solution. The grind is the grind, you can only stand to make it flatter. There is no way to add steel to create convexity. In my experience, even if you made a slight convex depression on the right side, it likely would not be enough to eliminate food sticking.
wphill

Post by wphill »

What about roughing up the blade surface with a low grit sand paper?

Re the big wheel....that's where the fix is....I thin Jon broida has one. Anyone else in the pro community?
J david

Post by J david »

You could do this:

Not very pretty, but I bet it works......
TomCutlery

Post by TomCutlery »

reading this only further baffles me as to why my Takamura R2 210 doesn't have stiction issues, I use it as my primary potato knife as no matter how wet it gets they just don't stick!
Chefcallari

Post by Chefcallari »

In my experience (and i know there is an argument against it) but when i get a knife thats thin ground and sticks, i polish the blade faces. My kohetsu is a laser as far as grind and thinness behind the edge but the finish on the blade was a little "rough". Which i felt was contributing to some resistance when cutting and some sticking.... Bought some m3 auto sandpaper at wally world and polished it up to 2500 grit ( $3.49 for an assorted pack) and potatoes hardly stick at all now.. And it just ghosts through product even better now.