Fisher-price my first jnat

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
Inhuman

Fisher-price my first jnat

Post by Inhuman »

Title says it all. Point me in the right direction, oh glorious knife lords . I'm not sure what I'm looking at or what to do , but I know I want one !

Current gear:
Atoma 120
Naniwa pro 1k
Suehiro Rika 5k
Cktg 8x11 strop kit

Professional kitchen used edges . Like a fair amount of bite . Currently sharpening anryu hammered b2 240 and kono fuji w1 240. As usual, thanks in advance!
Kit Craft

Re: Fisher-price my first jnat

Post by Kit Craft »

Inhuman wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:31 pm Title says it all. Point me in the right direction, oh glorious knife lords . I'm not sure what I'm looking at or what to do , but I know I want one !

Current gear:
Atoma 120
Naniwa pro 1k
Suehiro Rika 5k
Cktg 8x11 strop kit

Professional kitchen used edges . Like a fair amount of bite . Currently sharpening anryu hammered b2 240 and kono fuji w1 240. As usual, thanks in advance!
I'm not sure the title says it all, at all. Unless you are simply saying that you are looking for a toy. I am a bit dense, though.

If you are looking for something to use in place of your Suehiro Rika then I would suggest an Aono aoto. This stone can leave you with one of two edges. One with vampire like bite or one with better than average bite for a 3-4k edge. What I mean by that is that it depends on not only how you use this particular stone but how much you get out of the stone you use before it and what that stone might be. Regardless, it is a good stone that leaves a good amount of bite and should be comparable to your rika.

If you want to go beyond the Rika then I feel a logical choice is a Yaginoshima Asagi for price vs performance. For about double the coin you can get an Ohira Asagi, which in my experience are a fair bit faster and leave a fair bit more bite. A good go to if you would prefer something softer would be a Takashima. Not loads of bite but enough. Soft, can be muddy and fun to use. They range in price depending on size, shape etc.

Loads of good stuff out there, loads. It really depends on you. :)
Inhuman

Post by Inhuman »

Sorry you're right . It was a joke indicating Im ready to purchase my first jnat. So they are basically all finishing stones ? Good that's something to start with at least . I just missed that Yaganoshima in the classifieds today 😂
Thanks for your insights . I think the 4-6k range sounds good .
I'll look into your suggestions .
I would like to spend $150 or less . Something not crazy hardto use would be sweet . I am more or less looking to get into natural stones for a new sharpening experience and because o like the results you guys are getting . I'm intrigued ..
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Inhuman wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:00 pm Sorry you're right . It was a joke indicating Im ready to purchase my first jnat. So they are basically all finishing stones ? Good that's something to start with at least . I just missed that Yaganoshima in the classifieds today 😂
Thanks for your insights . I think the 4-6k range sounds good .
I'll look into your suggestions .
I would like to spend $150 or less . Something not crazy hardto use would be sweet . I am more or less looking to get into natural stones for a new sharpening experience and because o like the results you guys are getting . I'm intrigued ..
An aono is around $80. As for finishing stones. No there are tons of middle grit stones or naka-to it is just less people seem to use them. They tend to fall generally in the 800-3000 range when compared to synthetics but sometimes higher or lower. Amakusa and binsui are cheap and I like them but a lot of people don't. Amakusa is a more useful stone in a sharpening progression, for a knife, imo and binsui bonus for a razor or plane blade. Ikarashi is a great mid grit but will run closer to the top end of your budget.

Tons of things to talk about in this subject and I am a mid grit kind of guy, lol.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

I'll second the Aono recommendation.

Even if you're really good using synthetics there are some things to be learned regarding how to use a JNat. I found the Aoto a good stone on which to start to learn. Fitting that and a finisher might be doable if you look for a smaller stone (koppa) as the finisher.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

Most of the stones you'd be looking at in this price range will replace rather than supplement the Suehiro Rika. That's fine, but you have a big hole on the lower end right now. The Atoma to Naniwa transition is a long jump and I suspect most of us would suggest filling that with a synthetic before getting into naturals, maybe a Nubatama 220 or a Cerax 320.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

I would not make the jump from 140 to 1k but then I'd never use the 140 On my knives to begin with. I agree that a 220-500 grit stone would be useful. A creax 320 or pink brick would be fine and you could still get an aono and be under budget. Though I almost never go coarser than 500 On my own knives and that is when I open them up.