Cut resistant gloves for thinning

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
ahanson

Cut resistant gloves for thinning

Post by ahanson »

I attempted my first thinning session last night and it went OK. I went slow and was pretty careful about staying away from the edge but somehow I still managed to nick my finger while doing the side with the blade facing me. I'm not sure I caught the edge since I kept my fingers up towards the middle but it still wasn't an unscathed session. So I was wondering if a cut resistant glove might be a good idea. Perhaps one of the nitrile ones so I have a little bit more grip and don't soak the glove if it gets a little wet? Good idea or should I just go a bit slower and be more cautious?
Kit Craft

Re: Cut resistant gloves for thinning

Post by Kit Craft »

I don't like gloves as it hinders tactile sensation. I've never cut myself while sharpening (touch wood) but have while cleaning a blade afterward. I suppose you could use gloves but I think you will get used to sharpening without them and not cutting yourself. Now, I have abraded my fingertips on a coarse stone more than once. That actually burns.
ahanson

Post by ahanson »

I'm wondering if that's more what it was but I caught a bit of material under while I rubbed along the stone since it doesn't look like a slice. It's enough to probably wait a few days before I continue with thinning though.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

ahanson wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:46 pm I'm wondering if that's more what it was but I caught a bit of material under while I rubbed along the stone since it doesn't look like a slice. It's enough to probably wait a few days before I continue with thinning though.
You can put medical tape on your finger pads. I have seen a few people do that on youtube. Until it heals, that is.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

Blood won't hurt the stone. Feel free to continue.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Lepus wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:03 pm Blood won't hurt the stone. Feel free to continue.
Getting blood from a stone, eh?
Jason B.

Post by Jason B. »

Before thinning or belt grinder work I always dull the edge by dragging it over a medium stone.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

I'm with Kit on this. Not only do you have less feedback, but it takes away the plessure of playing in the mud.

Besides, a sufficiently sharp edge should slice right through most nitrile gloves :)

I have heard of some who wear disposable exam gloves to reduce crosscontamination from transferring stone slurrry from under their fingernails. There's s funny story associated with this ...

---
Ken
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

ken123 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:05 pm I'm with Kit on this. Not only do you have less feedback, but it takes away the plessure of playing in the mud.

Besides, a sufficiently sharp edge should slice right through most nitrile gloves :)

I have heard of some who wear disposable exam gloves to reduce crosscontamination from transferring stone slurrry from under their fingernails. There's s funny story associated with this ...

---
Ken
We all know I am not really one to worry about grit contamination but even if I were, that seems a little extreme...
ken123

Post by ken123 »

"....that seems a little extreme..."

I agree.

So some time ago, I had communicated with someone on a forum (this pre-dates CKTG) and he and I wanted to do a sharpening session together. I had never met him in person. So the day before we were going to meet at my place, he contacts me and asks me if 'I have gloves'. I had no idea why he would need gloves and it all sounded kind of kinky to me. I mean I was signing up to sharpen with him and nothing more intimate than that :) It was only after some careful questioning that I figured out that he wanted gloves to reduce cross-contamination .... and nothing more. It was a bit awkward, but having solved that we went on to do several sessions ...

---
Ken