Kohetsu 800 vs.Chosera 800

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
old onion

Kohetsu 800 vs.Chosera 800

Post by old onion »

I am considering a 800 grit stone and these two come to mind.Is there any reason to choose one over the other? What are the pros and cons of each? In the past,I heard a lot about the Chosera line but just recently about the Kohetsu.
Kit Craft

Re: Kohetsu 800 vs.Chosera 800

Post by Kit Craft »

I have used the chosera but not the kohetsu. However, some basics would be that the Chosera is a Splash and go stone and the Kohetsu a soaker. The way it is described I expect the Kohetsu to be coarser and faster at removing steel. Then again, my Cho 800 acts like a finer stone than it is, more like 1k-1200. The chosera is a bit softer than the higher grits but still a "hard stone" and from what I understand, but am not positive, the kohetsu is on the medium soft - medium hard side.

Like any other two stones it really is going to come down to preference.

As an aside, the K800 is out of stock and I do not think they restock frequently so it might be a few months. From my understanding, it is worth the wait. Someday I will find out...lol.
Last edited by Kit Craft on Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rufus Leaking

Post by Rufus Leaking »

Conversely, I have the kohetsu and not the chosera. I waited over six months, snapped it up and liked it so much, I got the kohetsu 2k. If kohetsu made a full line, or if it were available, I’d buy the whole progression. I had been completely stymied with two of my blue-steel blades prior, now I’m more than capable of getting them sharp AF. I don’t have another 800; I have a bester 1100, and that proved unsuitable for a beginning to cut AS steel.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

There's a "first Impressions" thread on the K800 here <viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2682> that should give you more background on the K800
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
old onion

Post by old onion »

Thanks gentlemen.I sure do appreciate the responses and they are really helpful.I am better informed because of them.Collecting stones is almost as much fun as collecting knives.Makes you wonder how we get ourselves into these messes huh? But ain't it fun!
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

old onion wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:34 pm Thanks gentlemen.I sure do appreciate the responses and they are really helpful.I am better informed because of them.Collecting stones is almost as much fun as collecting knives.Makes you wonder how we get ourselves into these messes huh? But ain't it fun!
Almost? I have way more stones than knives...
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Rufus Leaking wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:46 am Conversely, I have the kohetsu and not the chosera. I waited over six months, snapped it up and liked it so much, I got the kohetsu 2k. If kohetsu made a full line, or if it were available, I’d buy the whole progression. I had been completely stymied with two of my blue-steel blades prior, now I’m more than capable of getting them sharp AF. I don’t have another 800; I have a bester 1100, and that proved unsuitable for a beginning to cut AS steel.

The suehiro cerax line fills in the kohetsu gaps. Pretty sure suehiro makes the kohetsus. My progression is 800 kohetsu, 2000 kohetsu and 6000 cerax. If I need to go lower I use a cerax 320. The 320 is fairly soft unlike the others , though.
Jeffry B
ken123

Post by ken123 »

old onion wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:29 am I am considering a 800 grit stone and these two come to mind.Is there any reason to choose one over the other? What are the pros and cons of each? In the past,I heard a lot about the Chosera line but just recently about the Kohetsu.
Could you describe what you are sharpening ? What other stones you likr or dislike ?

---
Ken
old onion

Post by old onion »

ken123 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:11 am
old onion wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:29 am I am considering a 800 grit stone and these two come to mind.Is there any reason to choose one over the other? What are the pros and cons of each? In the past,I heard a lot about the Chosera line but just recently about the Kohetsu.
Could you describe what you are sharpening ? What other stones you likr or dislike ?

---
Ken
Sure,no problem Ken. I have Japaneses kitchen knives in B2,W2 and AS. I also have a Henkles and a Wusthof,both Chef knives.Stones,lol,not quite like Kit yet but trying to get there. My medium stones are a Bester 1200 and a King 1000 but I think I would like a good 800 instead.
By the way,how's the foot doing? Hope you are doing fine by now.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Regarding the foot: Slow recovery rate. I no longer crawl to the toilet or hop on 1 leg with crutches, but with crutches can put light load on the injured foot. Small but significant improvement. May likely have some permanent loss. I will be getting orders out soon, driving left footed. This will pass. ..

Never heard of b2 used for knives. Got me curious ...
There is also a Nubatama 800 and King 800 in various sizes, so how do you like the King 1k snd Bester1200 ?

---
Ken
old onion

Post by old onion »

ken123 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:56 am Regarding the foot: Slow recovery rate. I no longer crawl to the toilet or hop on 1 leg with crutches, but with crutches can put light load on the injured foot. Small but significant improvement. May likely have some permanent loss. I will be getting orders out soon, driving left footed. This will pass. ..

Never heard of b2 used for knives. Got me curious ...
There is also a Nubatama 800 and King 800 in various sizes, so how do you like the King 1k snd Bester1200 ?

---
Ken
I mean b2 = blue #2. Wasn't thinking when I wrote it. As far as the King 1000 and the Bester 1200,both are pretty good,just that my sharpening skills keep me on those stones longer then I would like.
I have just gotten over back problems that lasted a year or better.Had surgery last April and now to the point it doesn't hurt much anymore.I know how to get to the bathroom by crawling.I had plenty of practice.Just had a stoke 4 days ago that hit the cranial nerve 3 that controls the right eye.I have been sharpening with one eye closed for now.Next,they will be calling me stubs.I am hoping my eyes get right again,seeing double right now.You got to be tough growing old.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

HAHA - you had me searching. There actually is a B2 steel out there fwiw. Just a test? :)

Really sorry to hear about your problems :( Loss of ANY function really affects far more than one realizes. Loss of eye motion control (oculomotor) has to be extremely frustrating. Hope it resolves to the point of some (or all) return of function.

So it's interesting that you have such a tight cluster of stones around 1k. I'm guessing that this is an area of focus for this thread rather than the extent of your stone selection.

So I find the 1200 and King stones slow cutters. Others disagree with me on the Bester 1200 but you may be blaming your technique rather than your stones.

You might actually find some 1k stones even faster cutters than some of the 800s. Something to keep in mind.

So I have no experience with the Kohetsu stones, so no opinions either way. The Choceras are all magnesia based and have a reasonably high abrasive content - moreso than the Kings or Superstones. Think of the 800 Chocera as a fast 1k Chocera. They also have a 'creamy feel' which makes for pleasant sharpening. Still not knowing your preferences, you might look over this stone as well:

https://youtu.be/lR1wnFIDglQ

and also consider several 1k stones too.

---
Ken