How do you rate your own sharpening skills?

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
Peter Nowlan

Re: How do you rate your own sharpening skills?

Post by Peter Nowlan »

If I could make wishes come true it would be to meet the folks here and absorb information. There are likely things about knife sharpening that I don’t know but I don’t know that I don’t know them. So imagine being in a room together and maybe one of you is an expert at etching. I don’t know too much about that so I stop at your table, bleed you dry of information that I need, then move on to the expert in refinishing blades at the next table. And so on. Maybe someone could stop at my table and learn something.

It would be a STA.....Sharpening Think Tank.

That is what I’d like to do.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Jeff B wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:51 pm
salemj wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:34 pm...There are virtually no posts above this one that approach this topic or any specific responses in a negative or derogatory way...[/b]
Grading is stupid, you can either sharpen or you can't. If you can't your pitiful, I can so that makes me great. :ugeek: :mrgreen:

How's that Joe? :P
You are right though, amazing that a conversation like this could go this many pages without any obvious negativity interjected.
This truly is a great and supportive community.
:ugeek: ... :lol:
So basically you want a P/F scale, how elementary :lol:
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

The topic is cumbersome enough at this point it needs to be spun out into others.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Lepus wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:40 pm The topic is cumbersome enough at this point it needs to be spun out into others.
Great idea, how would you break it down?
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

It would need to be topics for any given grading system, to start. I think a post defining sharpening and a post on why grading sharpeners is or isn't good would be fine, too.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Peter Nowlan wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:07 pm If I could make wishes come true it would be to meet the folks here and absorb information. There are likely things about knife sharpening that I don’t know but I don’t know that I don’t know them. So imagine being in a room together and maybe one of you is an expert at etching. I don’t know too much about that so I stop at your table, bleed you dry of information that I need, then move on to the expert in refinishing blades at the next table. And so on. Maybe someone could stop at my table and learn something.

It would be a STA.....Sharpening Think Tank.

That is what I’d like to do.
That really would be cool Peter! :geek:
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Jason H

Post by Jason H »

I love this thread...the only downside to it is that I realize that I really know nothing.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

And here I was hoping for 10 pages lol. Great thread, but my head is exploding after reading through it all.

I'm at a bit of a quandary. I don't know that we can really satisfy the op or if it is even warranted.

I guess I'll rate myself as a c, but with further study hoping to become an A :)

---
Ken
Naples09

Post by Naples09 »

Jason H wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:59 pm I love this thread...the only downside to it is that I realize that I really know nothing.
X2. - I would be graded an F--- but still trying to learn.