First-time sharpening advice

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
BillsLefty17

First-time sharpening advice

Post by BillsLefty17 »

Hello all,

First time poster and sharpener here. I'm a home cook with pretty basic sharpening needs at this point (sharpening Victorinox knives, family kitchen set, pocket knives, etc.) but am looking to dip my toe into the water. I'm definitely planning on expanding my arsenal (stones and knives :D ) in the future but am looking to be as cost-efficient as possible at the beginning as I'm shopping for a stone from a family member's Christmas present.

I've looked through several posts with similar subjects but haven't found advice that I think applies exactly to my situation. I have no preference yet as to soakers vs. splash-and-go, etc and am willing to put in the time and effort to learn and improve. The family knives have never been sharpened as far as I know, and my Victorinox knives cut decently but could definitely use some work after ~2y without sharpening.

Based on my price considerations, would I be better served by an intro combo stone like an Imanishi or Cerax, or purchasing one solid stone in the 1k range?

Help is much appreciated!
ken123

Re: First-time sharpening advice

Post by ken123 »

You are a perfect 'candidate' for a 150/1200 Nubatama combination stone. It was designed for exactly what you wish to achieve.and will let you expand past your starting point easily. It is available directly from me. ( contact info is below).

---
Ken
gladius

Post by gladius »

ken123 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:55 pm You are a perfect 'candidate' for a 150/1200 Nubatama combination stone. It was designed for exactly what you wish to achieve.and will let you expand past your starting point easily. It is available directly from me. ( contact info is below).
---
Ken,
When are you going to setup a website?

...or at least webpages with links for PayPal purchase.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Eventually ... i know i should. Most of my products are only available if you call me.

---
Ken